Embouchure question...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
regor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Embouchure question...

Post by regor »

As I must learn on my own the Flute (can't find a teacher available), I am wondering how small should my embouchure opening be between my lips. It seems that an embouchure that is approximately the size of a pencil is giving me the strongest and purest tone, but I was under the impression that it should be smaller for some reason. Should I try to get a purer louder tone with a smaller embouchure, or stick to what seems to work?
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

I think the key is experimenting. Don't stick with what works, try out new ways. A good embouchure should provide a clean, strong tone and at the same time be very air efficient. You shouldn't have to breathe too often.
Other than that, it's all a matter of personal preference. If you have listened to a lot of flute music, you probably have an idea of how you would like to sound. Keep that sound in the back of your head and pursue it, at the same time keep the air consumption in mind and maybe the volume of the sound produced.
Standing in front of a mirror and playing helps. Keep experimenting and when you have found something you really like, remember the look of your lips and try to make your muscles remember how it feels.
And also, your embouchure will keep evolving all the time. If you practice a lot, you will constantly get better, and you'll find better and more efficient ways of playing.
fearfaoin

Re: Embouchure question...

Post by fearfaoin »

regor wrote:It seems that an embouchure that is approximately the size of a pencil is giving me the strongest and purest tone, but I was under the impression that it should be smaller for some reason. Should I try to get a purer louder tone with a smaller embouchure, or stick to what seems to work?
I would like to salute you, sir, for posting a Flute-related topic today.
Well played.

Unfortunately, I am pretty much still a beginner myself and can only
offer speculation. I have what feels like a pretty large embouchure on
the lower octave, but squeeze it much tighter and smaller in the
second octave, especially past the 2nd 8ve F#. I'd say play around a
lot with your embouchure to see what you get. Your body will
eventually settle on what is comfortable and still makes good tone for
extended periods. Be flexible.
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

Gor Blimey a flute topic...
When I got my flute the maker, a very fine player, said the stream of air should be 'Like a laser' If you read what Nicholson has to say it gives a pretty good idea. It's on Terry's site here:

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Nicholson_on_Tone.htm

As a very first beginner I ran into the problem that the finer the air stream the harder to accurately hit the edge with it. After a couple of years I'm hugely better but there is still plenty more to go!
Rob
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I use different embouchures for different tone colors, sometimes larger, sometimes smaller.

Typically, the smaller the actual embouchure opening in your lips, the harder you will have to work to thrust the air out, and also you will use more muscle to keep the opening small so that the air doesn't widen it. This can produce a very focused, cutting, edgy sound, and is extremely efficient as far as the amount of air used per volume of sound. It requires a very well supported airstream, and can produce a sound very similar to an oboe.

As you relax the embouchure and move into larger openings, air efficiency goes down a bit, the tone darkens, some of the edge is lost, and the sound is more woody and "relaxed," more flute-like than oboe-like.

Yet another thing you can do is deliberately unfocus the airstream a bit to introduce a bit of air into the tone, which can give a whistle-like timbre.

Also the length of the air reed--the distance between the opening in your lips and the far edge of the embouchure hole--can be varied. Shorten the air reed (roll in or lift up) for a more closed, resonant sound. Lengthen the air reed (roll out or drop down) for a more open, projective sound for the same amount of air.

--James
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Embouchure question...

Post by Jon C. »

regor wrote:As I must learn on my own the Flute (can't find a teacher available), I am wondering how small should my embouchure opening be between my lips. It seems that an embouchure that is approximately the size of a pencil is giving me the strongest and purest tone, but I was under the impression that it should be smaller for some reason. Should I try to get a purer louder tone with a smaller embouchure, or stick to what seems to work?
The smaller the embouchure the less air is need to make a strong tone.
One way to gage the focus, is to play the flute when it is cold, and check the spread of condinsation that forms on the flute on the otherside of the emb. hole. If the spread is wide, the emb. is not focused enough.
Cheers,
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
BrendanB

Post by BrendanB »

Regor,

If your embouchure is as large as the diameter of a pencil, it is way too large and you are most likely wasting air and making it harder for yourself. If you are talking about the size of the point of a pencil, you may be where you want to be.

Don't know if this helps, but some people find it useful to form their embouchure by thinking about spitting a grain of rice from between their lips.

You may have seen this already, but this page from Rob Greenway has some good tips on building up your embouchure.
http://www.geocities.com/feadanach/tone.html

Hope that helps.

B
springrobin
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

Yeah, what Jon said. I was taught to focus the airstream so I could see a "V" on the far side of the embouchure hole when looking in the mirror. Once you can do that, you are well on the way to being able to manage the focus of the airstream to achieve different tones.

Robin
regor

Post by regor »

Thanks folks, that is exactly the sort of feedback I need. I do find that the smaller my embouchure, the more difficult it is to get a sound out, but all the feedback seems to tell me that what I am doing currently, albeit relatively easy, isn't where I really need or want to be.

So, if I understand this right, if I were to blow through a small piece of straw (like one use to drink pop) between my lips, this would be way too large a target (compare to lets say to the 'grain of rice') for my embouchure (give and take all the comments on the effect of a larger embouchure).

Roger
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

I really think it's a personal matter. I can barely fit a piece of paper into the space between my lips when I blow, but that gives me a rich and powerful tone from my flute. On the other hand I had a flute student this summer who was classically trained and uses a very relaxed, pouting embouchure...her tone was beautiful and very powerful, although it didn't sound "Irish."

If what you're doing sounds good to you, I don't see much reason to try to change it.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Think coffee stirrer instead of straw and you'll be on the right track.

Eric
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

I just turn my headjoint the way i like it best, and so i get a clear tone.
it all starts from there.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I'm still working on tightening my embouchure, too.

I was able to get a strong tone fairly easily when I started out, but my embouchure was pretty relaxed (and didn't sound "Irish"). But I was also blowing pretty flat (a problem on flutes without tuning slides), and using a lot of air.

At first, tightening your embouchure is a real workout for your lips. But it's worth it - after a bit of coaching (and a lot of practice) my tone is better, I'm more in-tune, and I'm using less air. Still a lot of room for improvement on all three - but I'm making progress, however slowly.

If you can arrange it, even a little one-on-one time with a better player helps a lot - and it doesn't have to be a formal lesson. At our house session earlier this month Aldon and Jack spent perhaps half an hour working with me, but it made a real difference in my playing.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Another helpful metaphor is squirting water out of a garden
hose--if you put your thumb over the nozzle, closing off most
of it, it produces a narrow stream of water of great velocity.

I think it's helpful to keep in mind that developing this
takes time, but that, if you keep these pictures in mind,
your body will attain what you need, but it may not be
right away.

Also I do think that playing a higher pitched flute can be
very helpful, like a G or an A or a high Bb, because you really
can't play these without a well focused embouchure.

Also some of the embouchure exercises that have been listed
in other threads, including the ones involving overtones, will help.
If you do what requires a well controlled narrow embouchure,
you will bring it back to your normal playing.

The Grey Larsen book is, IMO, a blessing to folks without
teachers.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

jim stone wrote:Also I do think that playing a higher pitched flute can be
very helpful, like a G or an A or a high Bb, because you really
can't play these without a well focused embouchure.
Funny thing is, I bought a Tipple G to see if I actually wanted to play flute, and to give myself an idea of what embouchure would be like. Now that I've got an M+E in D, I'm having trouble taming the lower register! It's coming along nicely, though.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up