What is this?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

What is this?

an eggplant
79%
an aubergine
15%
something else entirely (explain)
6%

Total votes: 33

Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Early '80s, Duluth, The Duck, portabellas... :party:
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

The word you really need to know is babaganouge. It not only makes Imams faint; it sends wombats into raptures. And Redwolf, you really should ... oh never mind.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I like zuccini and eggplant and squash all the same, sliced, coated with flour and fried. I'd be happy to try a different way if it isn't all mushy.

Portabella mushrooms are one of my favorites. The best mushrooms are morrell mushrooms which grow around here but are hard to find. Every year I go out just after remembering the season is nearly over and come home with a big bag of none.

Okra makes me want to have Cranberry push me off a bridge.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Cranberry wrote: This is a portabella mushroom for those who don't know:

Can't you just see the face of Satan in it? That's how they taste--like Satan's face! :o

(And no amount of soy sauce can help them...)
I'd be interested to know how you are familiar with the taste of Satan's face :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Cran, The UK and Ireland have each been described as the 51st state.
The UK because of the feeble way it sort-of pathetically backs whatever foreign policy the US has been nudged into.
Ireland because so many Americans seem to have originated there. And with any luck will go back to visit and spend lots of money. Maybe it's just the Americans with loud voices.
Since they can't BOTH be the 51st state, one must be the 52nd. Take your pick.

Oh, Are you going to do Garbanzos and Zucchinis as well?
(I mean chickpeas and courgettes!)
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

Innocent Bystander wrote: Maybe it's just the Americans with loud voices.
That reminds me of the time I went to kiss the Blarney stone (well, I was passing and it was there), and met a whole coachload of American Tourists.

I shall only say that all Americans I have met since have altered my views on the Nation.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Jack

Post by Jack »

We have to understand that Americar is one of the largest countries in the world in terms of population. A latino strawberry farmer from southern Arizona and an Inuit seal-hunter hunter from northern Alaska and an Amish butter-making family in Pennsylvania are all extremely different in terms of language, religion, socio-political outlook and all that stuff from the "average" white protestant middle class you see on the TV. America has quite literally thousands of different independent socio-cultural groups, so very little (or nothing) holds true for all of us.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

America has quite literally thousands of different independent socio-cultural groups, so very little (or nothing) holds true for all of us.
:poke:

My goodness, perhaps we could loop this thread back to the one on Britishness...
Jack

Post by Jack »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
America has quite literally thousands of different independent socio-cultural groups, so very little (or nothing) holds true for all of us.

My goodness, perhaps we could loop this thread back to the one on Britishness...
Please don't poke me.

I bite.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Cranberry wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:

Please don't poke me.

I bite.
pacifists... :o
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Walden wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:
Walden wrote: It comes from the Persian: بادنجان
How 'Bad-n-jon was changed to aubergine is beond me.

بادنجان
It went through a few languages in between there. From Persian it went to al-badhinjan in Arabic, and from there to albergínia in Catalan and from there to aubergine in French.
Interesting, thanks.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Fascinating indeed. Thanks, Walden!

I'm quite fond of babaghonoug (or any of the many variants of spelling it enjoys here in the provinces) meself.

And grilled eggplant with olive oil and garlic .... mmmmmm! :-)

Aubergine is a much prettier name; maybe we should switch.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Cran, The UK and Ireland have each been described as the 51st state.
The UK because of the feeble way it sort-of pathetically backs whatever foreign policy the US has been nudged into.
Ireland because so many Americans seem to have originated there. And with any luck will go back to visit and spend lots of money. Maybe it's just the Americans with loud voices.
Since they can't BOTH be the 51st state, one must be the 52nd. Take your pick.
Thank God I'm Cornish and not English, is all I can say. :wink:

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

In Italian they are melanzana. I don't know the etimology. My wife likes them. Me, not so much.