Recorder in ITM - Poll

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Whether has place Recorder in ITM?

Yes, it can will be on equal with Whistle
30%
It is preferable, that Recorder did not sound in ITM
21%
Recorder should not sound in ITM
45%
Recorder is better, than whistle for ITM
3%

Total votes: 33

Slayer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Recorder in ITM - Poll

Post by Slayer »

Probably, this question already was hoisted here :)

The matter is that in our countries (Belarus and Russia) frequently arises spores, on suitability Recorder for performance(playing) ITM.

Not being carriers of irish culture, we have no right to do categorical statements(confirmations).

Probably, here there are people which have the right to assert(approve) the point of view, being more trial and mature.

Thank all answering! :)
Happy whistling!
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I'm personally not a stickler on what is good or not good in trad music. If an instrument is well played with an understanding of the music, I'm open to listen to anything. A Japanese Koto could sound a lot like a harp-- go for it! Bassoon? Sure, it would add a nice bass line. Over time, if enough people like an instrument and it gets played more often, it BECOMES a new tradition.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I'm a complete amateur at all this but I heard a recorder playing ITM in a group only once. The player was amazing and it worked very well. I think most people would find the whistle easier for playing Irish music. Last year I bought a recorder in Indonesia with German fingering and it is much easier to play ornaments on that.
tommyk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tommyk »

Skewed questions:
"Yes, it *can* [emph. mine] be on equal with Whistle"
vs
"Recorder is better, than whistle for ITM"

What's missing?
"It CAN be better than whistle"

It all depends on whose playing we're talking about.

If it's good enough for Marc Duff (Capercaillie), it's good enough for me to think it has a place.
(The Turnpike reel!)

--
Tommy Kochel
www.tommyswirled.com

---
What the U.S. Government is doing in our country:
". . . I want to remind the people down there that 85 billion is a lot."
- George W. Bush, from a pre-"State of the Union Address" press conference on 1-26-06 talking about the people affected by hurricane Katrina and the amount of money Congress has allocated to rebuild New Orleans.

What the U.S. Government is doing in another country:
For the total cost of the war in Iraq so far, go to
http://nationalpriorities.org/index.php ... Itemid=182 <http://nationalpriorities.org/index.php ... Itemid=182>
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Oh, sorry!
my English is bad, i use translator - it not good too :)
Happy whistling!
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

brewerpaul wrote: Bassoon? Sure, it would add a nice bass line.
I actually play Bassoon Paul, and guess what, sometimes for fun I play the trad tunes, but it is like playing on a Bass G whistle. I would never bring it to a session though.

I had to say that.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

brewerpaul wrote:I'm personally not a stickler on what is good or not good in trad music. If an instrument is well played with an understanding of the music, I'm open to listen to anything. A Japanese Koto could sound a lot like a harp-- go for it! Bassoon? Sure, it would add a nice bass line. Over time, if enough people like an instrument and it gets played more often, it BECOMES a new tradition.
Yeah... what Paul said.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
joey_schu

Post by joey_schu »

Not gonna lie, I love the recorder. I haven't found a whistle yet that gets that nice round tone. That said, I'm waiting on a Greenwood D/C set, which seem to come pretty highly regarded.

As far as recorders go, I have a few but prefer the ol' plastic yamaha. If I had to do one of those blind-folded Unlce Ben's tests on the sound of recorders, I think I'd dissappoint Mollenhauer. Not to say I wouldn't mind a Rottenburg someday...

I think the tone of recorder lends itself well to ITM. I posted an arrangement not long ago on C&S with a little Irish-style recorder. Unfortunately it lost alot of fidelity in the smaller file size here, but that's ok. But I was pretty surprised by the sound of it after recording - definately better than any of my whistles have sounded through a mic.

-Joey
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

My answer is not in the poll so I cannot vote.
I agree with Brewer Paul.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
redoxmusic
Tell us something.: I enjoy Irish music and wooden flutes in general. I have pursued a number of forms of folk music over the years, as well as some classical music.

Post by redoxmusic »

I've played irish music on my hohner recorder before at a couple of competitions,and did well with it.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

I love recorders but prefer the sound for early (medieval/renn) music. A little chiff is a good thing. But I recognize fully that my tastes are personal preference and nothing more.

Oddly when I pick up a recorder I tongue everything instinctively, which fr the life of me I can't do decently on a flute or whistle.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

I prefer the whistle for most tunes, but will reach for the recorder in these situations:

1. The tune goes to the C or C# below D,
2. the tune would otherwise require a half-hole of one of the lower three holes, or
3. the tune contains back-to-back accidentals.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
walrii

Post by walrii »

I think it partly has to do with your audience. If you are playing for an audience that is expecting "real" ITM (whatever that means to them) then you'd better at least open with something they expect if you want to get paid or invited back. If you are sitting on your porch noodling on your recorder (or alto sax or cello) for the neighborhood kids and your friend drops by with his electric guitar and wants to play some Irish music - go for it. If you're playing '60s rock and roll at the coffee shop and decide to introduce something new to the crowd, play "Penny Lane" on a recorder or do "By the Rising of the Moon" as a rock anthem with guitar and whistle and see how the audience reacts.

On the one hand, the audience has the perogative to attend performances that they enjoy. On the other hand, musicians can (some would say must) experiment with their music since that's how things keep moving. On the third hand (OK, I'm a space alien), music that has stood the test of time deserves to be preserved. Any performance strikes a balance among those three considerations.

Short answer: I agree with brewerpaul.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Hi Slayer!

Like you, I am not part of the Irish music tradition. So keep that in mind when you read my opinion.

I voted for it is probably best not to include the recorder in what you call traditional Irish music. If you use the recorder, then maybe you can say the music is based on Irish traditional music and that some of the instruments being used aren't traditional. I think no one would feel there was anything wrong with that. I think people just feel that musicians should know the history of the music and make it clear to the audience if they are departing from the tradition in some way. That way the audience becomes educated.

Someone sent me a recording by Old Blind Dogs on their album called New Tricks. The recorder, I was told, is being played on the track called Monaghan Jig. I thought it was a whistle :lol: . I am not an expert though. It sounds really great. I think the recorder sounds nice, I just would make sure people knew it wasn't a traditional instrument.

I think, and this is just my opinion, that possibly whistles played in the traditional music did perhaps have a certain sound. Now days people have so many whistles and sounds to choose from. Many of them probably do sound much like recorders. So perhaps the greater number of whistles with so many sounds has made it so many of us don't really know what the traditional whistle sound was.

Best wishes to our fellow whistlers in Belarus! :)
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Thanks, Cynth :)
I too heard records recorder which sounded very well, the some people even is similar on whistle :)
However I am confused with prevalence and popularity recorder.
It sounds everywhere. At us practically all folk-groups use recorder, is not dependent on what fok-music play.
Here, in Belarus, ITM practically it is not known :(
Therefore I cannot try is unequivocal(unambiguous) to tell, whether can recorder execute a role whistle. In fact ???? whistle exists, and manages the problems what for to change it? :-?
I nevertheless think, that the note and methods of play on whistle differ from recorder, and introduce colour to general sounding ITM-group.
Recorder, undoubtedly, it is good for more complex(multiple) music.
But its sounding gives other origin ;)
Happy whistling!