Jail for Groper

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Jail for Groper

Post by GaryKelly »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4746760.stm
The Beeb wrote:Colombia man 'jailed over grope'

A bicycle courier in Colombia has been given a four-year jail sentence for grabbing a woman pedestrian's bottom, a TV station has reported.
A judge's ruling - criticised by some as being too harsh - ruled the courier had committed an abusive sexual act.

Diana Marcela Diaz told RCN that the courier had cycled off after groping her, but had been caught by passers-by.

When he was arrested, she was given the option of slapping him, letting him go, or filing a complaint.

She had chosen to set a precedent that would stop sexist behaviour, she said.

RCN described the sentence as historic, but some lawyers condemned it as excessive.

A female member of the national ombudsman's office said the courier had only acted out of lust.

"He didn't use violence or commit a sexual act," she was quoted as saying.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
djm

Post by djm »

Evolving from the jungle to the 21st century may be a painful experience for some.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
jsluder
antispam: No

Re: Jail for Groper

Post by jsluder »

The Beeb wrote:A female member of the national ombudsman's office said the courier had only acted out of lust.

"He didn't use violence or commit a sexual act," she was quoted as saying.
Lust: intense or unbridled sexual desire.

So, I guess it depends on how they define "sexual act" in their legal system.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
harpmaker

Post by harpmaker »

jsluder wrote:
So, I guess it depends on how they define "sexual act" in their legal system.
I have to wonder how many thought of Clinton when they read this :lol:
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

o tempora, o mores!

Which Rome am I in?
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Sorry to seem unsympathetic, but I would be quite happy to see every groper given about 4 years. It doesn't seem too harsh to me. I don't care why he acted. He can keep his hands to himself in the future.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Jack

Post by Jack »

Am I the only one who clicked this thread wondering who in the world Groper was?
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

My Significant Other voted for a harsher sentence, in which reproduction would no longer be possible.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I have always been of the opinion that any un-asked-for sexual contact should be met with stern resolve. Be it for lust, hate, apathy.... whatever, it is an assault on the victim, and should be dealt as such... if not a bit more so.
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

Four years in jail for grabbing a bottom is too much. I understand the emotional responses, but really, there should be some balance here. Yes, it's a sexual assault, but quite low on the scale of severity. I can think of many worse offenses that are given lighter sentences. Unless you think that all punishments should be immediately multiplied by ten or something?

It's easy to judge and prescribe an extremely harsh sentence for an offense which is against your nature to commit. But fallible humans of all sorts exist, and they may have many good qualities along with their failings. They should be dealt with firmly, but in a way that's balanced against the severity of the crime. First offenses especially should include a very specific warning of more dire consequences for future transgressions, while meting out a punishment with a bit of compassion and hope for the person's future.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I dated a woman who was sexually assaulted while we were together, and in many ways, I blame the assault for our eventual parting. If you can see first hand what it does to the victim, their family and friends, their lover, you might understand that no sexual assault is a light thing or has degrees in severity... it is terrible at all levels. I am disappointed to know that folks believe there are actual different levels of severity when comes to sexual assault. :really:
Jack

Post by Jack »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:I am disappointed to know that folks believe there are actual different levels of severity when comes to sexual assault. :really:
I believe that (and agree with BoneQuint), and I am a survivor of sexual assault.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

BoneQuint wrote:Four years in jail for grabbing a bottom is too much. I understand the emotional responses, but really, there should be some balance here. Yes, it's a sexual assault, but quite low on the scale of severity. I can think of many worse offenses that are given lighter sentences. Unless you think that all punishments should be immediately multiplied by ten or something?

It's easy to judge and prescribe an extremely harsh sentence for an offense which is against your nature to commit. But fallible humans of all sorts exist, and they may have many good qualities along with their failings. They should be dealt with firmly, but in a way that's balanced against the severity of the crime. First offenses especially should include a very specific warning of more dire consequences for future transgressions, while meting out a punishment with a bit of compassion and hope for the person's future.
Okay, I'll go for six months for the first offense.

Having your hand pinched while you're buying a ticket or your hair touched when you're the last person on the bus or your toes licked while you doze off at the beach is not quite as bad ----and I would go for just issuing a ticket for offenses such as these. Although I still think these sorts of things can be quite threatening.

When they start grabbing intimate parts of your body it is a fairly serious offense in my mind. I do think that there could be worse assaults than groping, like rape, and those should be even more severely punished. I think most women who get groped or grabbed between the legs, or on the breasts or their behinds are too shocked and embarrassed to create a scene. They often don't even tell anyone. So it is probably a moot point as far as the US is concerned. I'm not even sure it is illegal.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
djm

Post by djm »

I think some may be missing the point here. You appear to be applying social mores from a modern, first-world country. Please note the response of the natives in the country where this incident occurred. Many could not comprehend that any offense had taken place at all. Grabbing a cute tush on a whim seemed perfectly normal.

I am guessing that the severity of the sentence was not directed merely at the individual, but at the social mores of the rest of the country, to make it clear that such actions, and the macho attitudes that directed them, would no longer be accepted in that country.

If there is anything to take exception to, I would think it is about people being made an example of, and being made to bear the brunt of a larger issue.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

djm wrote:I think some may be missing the point here. You appear to be applying social mores from a modern, first-world country. Please note the response of the natives in the country where this incident occurred. Many could not comprehend that any offense had taken place at all. Grabbing a cute tush on a whim seemed perfectly normal.

I am guessing that the severity of the sentence was not directed merely at the individual, but at the social mores of the rest of the country, to make it clear that such actions, and the macho attitudes that directed them, would no longer be accepted in that country.

If there is anything to take exception to, I would think it is about people being made an example of, and being made to bear the brunt of a larger issue.

djm
I see what you mean. But I actually don't think the attitudes are different in my country. I think all over the world it is considered okay or funny or trivial by many to grope a woman you don't know yet feel that sort of thing shouldn't be done to one's female relatives by other men. So I guess I think that the man knew he was doing something wrong that he could get away with, just like in this country. I don't think it is right to make an example of a person, so that's why I changed my sentence to six months.