The Countdown begins

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Flyingcursor wrote:
missy wrote:I was nearsighted all my life - had Lasik done 6 years ago. I was pretty far gone - my last pair of contacts had a diopter of - 6.5 and -7. What "E" - I couldn't see the darn WALL!!!!

:D
-6.5 and -7? :boggle: :boggle: :boggle: I didn't know they made contacts that strong.
It may be easier to correct eyes like this with (hard) contacts than with glasses. They can do a certain amount of correction shaping the surface of the cornea. People who are severely astigmatic, who can't be corrected with glasses, can be with contacts.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gonzo914 »

After you turn 50, something always hurts. Other than that, it's not all that bad.

As for the 18-year-old girls calling you "sir' and holding doors for you -- that's much better than being invisible to them, which I seem to have been for the previous 30 years.

I've been lucky in the hair department -- good genes. And when people ask, "You're 55 years old and have a ponytail. Why?" I respond "Because I'm 55 years old and can."

Happy birthday.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Denny

Post by Denny »

gonzo914 wrote:I've been lucky in the hair department -- good genes. And when people ask, "You're 55 years old and have a ponytail. Why?" I respond "Because I'm 55 years old and can."
Also 55 with ponytail...
Well. it keeps it out of the way. :D
missy

Post by missy »

Denny wrote: Also 55 with ponytail...
hmmmm - I'm seeing a pattern here:
Tom is 58 and has a pony tail - his hair is longer then mine!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Flying Cement wrote:Happy birthday in advance. I am turning 21 in less than a month, so I can't say that I relate to anything you are saying, but anyway, take it easy and congratualtions on finishing the first half of your life.
Beware! Adulthood ... so long in the attaining ... is ever so fleeting... especially if you hang out here. :lol:

You're almost halfway to 50, my young friend.. and the years get ever faster in passing!! Mwuhahahaaaaaaa!

Hey... wait... that means that.... oh... NOoooooooo!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
anniemcu

Re: The Countdown begins

Post by anniemcu »

The Weekenders wrote:Like Wisely, only before, because I'm better (nyuk), I am perilously close to the dreaded 50th birthday, arriving March 5.

I just felt like saying it out loud somewhere without any eye contact.

I still feel pretty young inside, except losing my near-vision eyesight, which is a constant reminder that the vessel is rustin. Kids, it sucks. Suddenly you understand why so many old people have tons of little cuts and bruises on their hands and arms. It's because they can't see anything up close, unless they use fancy eyeglasses that are like the last part of a cheap wavy carny ride to wear. Had a pair but they got stolen with the car and I can't afford new ones. So I just go around not really seeing anything very close. This will definitely cure you of relying on sheet music.

I like the kinds of music I play because I won't look like certain aging rock stars who are struttin' around stages all wrinkly. Thanks to guys like Miko, it's cool to be wrinkly and reelin.' I draw the line at losin' my teeth to get the really authentic singing sound, tho.

Anyway, the contemplative countdown is official. And, I really don't know what to think....I'd write a song, but nobody wants to hear about it. Or, the only people who can relate don't want to hear about it.
Or *can't* hear it... LOL!

Well, Weeks, my friend, this is one of those areas where we are in like standing, though I'm two years your senior (take that!). *I'm* not getting old, but this cheap packaging is. :lol:

As for empathy and compassion for those difficulties associated wtih aging in this society, I'm right with you on the glasses thing (broken, in my case, still can't afford to replace them, and hate them into the bargain) It occurs to me that part of the reason for the heightened stress levels in this world over the past century or so is actually bifocals. Really. I mean, here we say we've found an answer dfor the split needs of near and far vision, but in reality we're setting up a perpetual booby-trap where you suddenly can't see half of what you at least locate, if not define, things appear to move when they do not actually at all, and walking up or down stairs becomes a leap of faith... increasingly shakey faith at that... you have to hold your head at an uncomfortable angle, and a funny looking one at that, adding aches and pains to an already stressed aging skeletal/musculature, and deal with an excessively irritating line directly accross your vision on a constant basis. Any TV that made the world look that way would be trashed in an instant!!

AARRRGGHHH!

Anyway,
I may forget, come the actual big day of your cresting the hilltop, so I'll just wish you fun, health, safety and happiness now... Welcome to the 50-somethings!!
anniemcu
---
---
---
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

Charlene wrote:I turned 51 last month.

Started noticing grey hair after my daughter was born nearly 15 years ago, and every time I get a haircut there's more and more grey. I know I could dye it, but dyed hair always looks dyed.

I've always been nearsighted too, but as I've moved into the bifocal years my distance vision has improved somewhat. I am vain enough to go with the progressive bifocals (no lines).

When I really feel my age is when I sit down after being on my feet all day at work, then go to get up. My hips and my thigh muscles do not want to cooperate then.

The best thing is now I don't really care if I impress people (except on a job interview or some such) so I tend to speak my mind more than I used to. I figure it's my turn now.
Amen! As for the hair dye... nah... I figure I've earned each and every grey hair, wrinkle and ache... I prefer to think of them as honorable war wounds. LOL!.... Life has belted me upside the haid a few times (not always unearned, I'll admit), and I've managed to survive, mostly intact, and usually learning the intended lessson (eventually). I'm not ashamed of my age... just wish I carried it a little better, LOL!

The no-line bifocals are a great deal better (that's what I broke), but they are enormously (and I think artificially) expensive., so I won't have them again for some time.
anniemcu
---
---
---
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Re: The Countdown begins

Post by dfernandez77 »

anniemcu wrote:in reality we're setting up a perpetual booby-trap where you suddenly can't see half of what you at least locate, if not define, things appear to move when they do not actually at all, and walking up or down stairs becomes a leap of faith...
AARRRGGHHH!!!
HAHA!! Couldn't have said it better myself. Presbyopia is (so far) the most annoying thing that comes with longevity. :boggle:

I found something that helps my vision. I was at first skeptical, but it has actually really helped me.:
http://www.bausch.com/us/vision/product ... oftgel.jsp :thumbsup:
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

The Weekenders wrote:Excuse me, I have a decoction to concoct.
I concocted one in my 16oz mug with Redbreast Whiskey,
which is my favorite Irish Whiskey and darned tasty by itself. :thumbsup:

Raised my cup to your good health, then drank it down. :D

Slept like a log, woke up bright and bushy tailed. I think it's magic. :D
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
harpmaker

Post by harpmaker »

Been there already, weeks. The 50 milestone isn't all that bad.

To be honest though, I never much paid attention to my age. If asked, I have to pause and do the math before answering. Likely as not, I 'll be off a year one way or the other in my answer. The other day my son-in-law asked....I answered 53 and my daughter corrected me right away with a sharp poke in the ribs and "NOT until December Dad!"

I started the hair loss thing back in High school, so I don't pay much attention to it, and I can spit out a bald joke as fast as anyone.

A few years ago I was sitting in church on the center aisle. During the processional, I felt a sudden gust of air then something brushed over the top of my head. I turned and looked up to see the minister standing there. He had stopped at the corner of the pew I was in, puffed a couple of breaths of air onto the top of my head and was using the sleeve of his robe to polish my skull. I laughed as loud as the rest of the congregation.

As to the young ladies opening doors? While grocery shopping, I recently had the bagger ask me if I needed help taking the groceries out to my car. I looked down at this little slip of a girl, maybe 5 foot nothing and 80 lbs soaking wet. I told her " Thats's depressing...Do I look that old? I think my order weighs more than you." She laughed and told me it was store policy she had to ask everyone..

The bad thing about suddenly qualifying for AARP is that with their promo stuff showing up in your mailbox, you'll start getting ones for funeral homes too.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

The other day I was at a meeting at work. Everyone around the table was a nurse, including me and two other men. The average age in the room was probably around 50. I asked them all, "Why is it that male nurses get grey hair when they get older but female nurses do not?" There was a pause of a second or two, during which I wondered if someone would feel offended, then a chuckle of laughter at my naivete. No further discussion...
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

missy wrote:
I'd grow a ponytail, but I have never been fond of the David Crosby look. :D I had my fun with hair at an early age. When I was 14, I wore my hair down to my arse. At 43, I'm enjoying the hairless look more than I care to admit. :lol:
Denny

Post by Denny »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
missy wrote:
I'd grow a ponytail, but I have never been fond of the David Crosby look. :D I had my fun with hair at an early age. When I was 14, I wore my hair down to my arse. At 43, I'm enjoying the hairless look more than I care to admit. :lol:
Look :-?
I just keep forgetting to get it cut. :oops:
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Denny wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:
missy wrote: hmmmm - I'm seeing a pattern here:
Having my hair as short as it is, with male pattern baldness, the moment it gets too long I start lookin like a cross between Christopher Lloyd's hair doo and Don Kings doo. :lol:
Denny

Post by Denny »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Denny wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote: I'd grow a ponytail, but I have never been fond of the David Crosby look. :D I had my fun with hair at an early age. When I was 14, I wore my hair down to my arse. At 43, I'm enjoying the hairless look more than I care to admit. :lol:
Having my hair as short as it is, with male pattern baldness, the moment it gets too long I start lookin like a cross between Christopher Lloyd's hair doo and Don Kings doo. :lol:
That's what I'm lacking! The fear factor...

Mine has enough widow's peaks, swirls and wave that it is unruly at any length.