I may have found a new hobby

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
flanum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

SteveShaw wrote:Blimey, what are you lot on about! Take one PG Tips Pyramid tea bag and put in mug. Add boiling water to within one inch from top of mug. Mash for two minutes then squidge around with spoon to extract as much flavour as possible. Fish out tea bag. Add milk. Take three digestive biscuits, preferably chocolate. Dunk in tea and eat. Drink tea. Paradise. And give over about all that fancy, perfumed tackle. Earl Grey my arse! :)

Steve
Good on ya steve.

When yer in Dublin make sure you pick up a box of these 2 lovelies!
and
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

T!

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Na, na, na,

GENMAI CHA!

That's Japanese Green Tea with rice! The green tea is bitter, but the rice makes it mellow. You HAVE to use a teapot to make this.

And the TeaDirect Fairtrade Tea is nicer than PG Tips. I know - I drink a lot of different kinds of tea at my customers' sites, and TeaDirect is what I have at home.

Other wonderful speciality teas are:

Formosa Oolong Jasmine
Broken Orange Pekoe
Rose Pouchong
Lapsang Souchong

Poetry!

And "The Tea House" in Neal's Yard used to do a delightful Chocolate Tea. Very strange, but nice.

English Breakfast Tea and Irish Breakfast Tea are two distinct teas. One is Assam, the other is Darjeeling. I can never remember which is which. I mean, which is Irish and which is English. I know I like the Irish breakfast tea better, because it is stronger. I thnk the Irish is Assam, but I could be wrong.

And our American Friends may not have heard of it, but the Tea company "TyPhoo" used to claim "Typhoo put the 'T' in Britain".

There arose a complimentary question:
"If TyPhoo put the 'T' in Britain, who put the 'c*nt' in Scunthorpe?"
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I like plain old Lipton's. For a treat I have the Chai Spice Black Tea from Stash Tea http://stashtea.com/.

2 spoonfuls of sugar, with evaporated milk for cream.

The breakfast teas seem kind of weak to me, no matter how long I let them steep.

I don't like the herbal stuff, and decaf is horrible.
Charlene
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Re: T!

Post by SteveShaw »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Na, na, na,

GENMAI CHA!

That's Japanese Green Tea with rice! The green tea is bitter, but the rice makes it mellow. You HAVE to use a teapot to make this.

And the TeaDirect Fairtrade Tea is nicer than PG Tips. I know - I drink a lot of different kinds of tea at my customers' sites, and TeaDirect is what I have at home.

Other wonderful speciality teas are:

Formosa Oolong Jasmine
Broken Orange Pekoe
Rose Pouchong
Lapsang Souchong

Poetry!

And "The Tea House" in Neal's Yard used to do a delightful Chocolate Tea. Very strange, but nice.

English Breakfast Tea and Irish Breakfast Tea are two distinct teas. One is Assam, the other is Darjeeling. I can never remember which is which. I mean, which is Irish and which is English. I know I like the Irish breakfast tea better, because it is stronger. I thnk the Irish is Assam, but I could be wrong.

And our American Friends may not have heard of it, but the Tea company "TyPhoo" used to claim "Typhoo put the 'T' in Britain".

There arose a complimentary question:
"If TyPhoo put the 'T' in Britain, who put the 'c*nt' in Scunthorpe?"
Oh, God...I hope you have the presence of mind to delete this post before Dub, that enthusiastic denizen of the aforementioned town, sees it.... :lol:

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Charlene wrote:I like plain old Lipton's. For a treat I have the Chai Spice Black Tea from Stash Tea http://stashtea.com/.

2 spoonfuls of sugar, with evaporated milk for cream.

The breakfast teas seem kind of weak to me, no matter how long I let them steep.

I don't like the herbal stuff, and decaf is horrible.
Apart from the abomination which is decaffeinated tea (I mean, what IS the bloody point!!), the biggest joke of all is those fruit-flavoured "tea"-bags, or chamomile-dust, or whatever vile powder it is that's in 'em. For a start you need at least three bags to get any flavour (if that's the right word - I doubt it) out of 'em, and, even more fatally, they deliver no caffeine. I would suggest cold tap-water as a more pleasant alternative to any of these daft things.

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

HEY ITS ONLY TEA!!! We're not talking about uilleann pipe reeds <smirk>
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

flanum wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:Blimey, what are you lot on about! Take one PG Tips Pyramid tea bag and put in mug.
Good on ya steve.

When yer in Dublin make sure you pick up a box of these 2 lovelies!
and

Why do we need to go to Dublin???

We have them here at regular old grocery stores . . . PG Tips, Typhoo, Barry's, and Lyons.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Lambchop wrote:Why do we need to go to Dublin???

We have them here at regular old grocery stores . . . PG Tips, Typhoo, Barry's, and Lyons.
You have better grocery stores than we do, then.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Congratulations wrote:
Lambchop wrote:Why do we need to go to Dublin???

You have better grocery stores than we do, then.

The best tea company in the Western Hemisphere: www.harney.com

They have instructions for tea preparation. Do use the electric kettle and don't microwave! The water needs to be bubbling. If you have a good quality tea, it won't be bitter unless you let the leaves sit in the water for a long time.

This does better than a tea ball: http://www.harney.com/permanentfilters.html

Pop the leaves in it, put it in the cup, pour the water over, let it steep, then take the strainer out. Very simple.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I like iced tea with lots of sugar and fruit juices added in.
mukade

Re: T!

Post by mukade »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Na, na, na,

GENMAI CHA!

That's the stuff! Genmai cha teabags :) I always have a jug in the fridge.

I live in Shizuoka, which is one of Japan's top tea-producing areas.
This photo is of a place just down the road from where I live.

I never could stand English tea, though.

Mukade
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I don't think that making a cup of tea should be that complicated, especially in this modern world of microwaves. Please don't tell me that boiling water from a microwave is somehow different from boiling water in an electric teapot. I also like Earl Grey tea. Do you know what herb gives Earl Grey its distinctive taste? I grow it right outside my front door. It is a pretty plant with nice blooms.

I am a minimalist when it comes to making tea. I like instant coffee, and I also think that instant tea is a lot easier than dipping one of those tea bags up and down in boiling water. However, with Earl Grey I do make an exception. I put the tea bag in a cup of water in the microwave and zap it for two minutes.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

After reading this discussion, I decided have some Bigelow's Vanilla Hazelnut Tea.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

SteveShaw wrote:Blimey, what are you lot on about! Take one PG Tips Pyramid tea bag and put in mug. Add boiling water to within one inch from top of mug. Mash for two minutes then squidge around with spoon to extract as much flavour as possible. Fish out tea bag. Add milk. Take three digestive biscuits, preferably chocolate. Dunk in tea and eat. Drink tea. Paradise. And give over about all that fancy, perfumed tackle. Earl Grey my arse! :)

Steve
It's a gift, ya know? :lol:
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

If there are any, find a middle Eastern market and buy some tea from Persia or India. It's usually a lot cheaper in bulk. Only problem is you sometimes get a lot of powder on the bottom.

I find tea in boxes, like Twinings and such to be very expensive to drink on a regular basis. If you insist on buying box stuff, there is a blend called "Lady Grey" (made by Twinings) that is very tasty, not quite as strong with the flowery stuff (is it bergamot?) as regular Earl Grey.

The Weekender uses a pint ale glass and a colander taken from a cheap Chinese tea combo cup-colander set. Set the collander in the pint glass with about a tablespoon of the bulk stuff, pour the boilin' water. Wait a few and yer set. Put in yer cream or half-n-half and sugar (or Splenda) and you've got a manly tumbler that'll keep you buzzin for hours.

I also like a blend called Russian Caravan, which varies from company to company. It's pretty similar to the Persian stuff, I think.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?