A Review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
talasiga
antispam: No

A Review

Post by talasiga »

Anyone have any A whistles? I am biased towards a Bleazey.
I have many whistles but not as low as A.
Please discuss any A whistle at your leisure here.
Any with Bleazey? Anything?

Thanks for comments.
8)
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

My only A is a Colin Goldie Overton, anodized electric blue (to match my PT Cruiser, naturally). I love this whistle. The low register in particular is sensuous and warm sounding. Playing it down there actually FEELS good. The upper register is fine too. This, like other aluminium whistles, needs a good warming up to deliver it's best.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wormdiet »

I found the susato A to be very difficult to play because of the way the holes were cut. Not sure what the issue was, but it was very difficult to seal eveything adequately.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

My only A is a brass Serpent with copper fittings. I like this whistle--Bill got a lot right with this one--but like any heavy metal whistle, it needs to be gently warmed up to play its best.

It's got a thick sound, rich with overtones, and not as much air in the sound as many of his whistles. The only downside is it's a heavy whistle with high backpressure and can be tiring to play for more than a few tunes.

It's the middle whistle in this pic:

--James
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

My go-to A is a Water Weasel. I think the A and Bflat are the gems of the WW line. I also have a beautiful tulipwood Thin Weasel A that's fantastic, but for some reason, prefer the additional heft of the WW.

I had a Sindt A for some time that was just too pure and sweet sounding for my ears. I suspect I'm in the minority on that one; they generally get rave reviews around these parts, and they're good enough for Mike and Mary Rafferty.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

My As are Copeland, Abell (part of a Bflat/A set), WW (part of a Bflat/A set). The Copeland is the gem of the lot and probably my favorite Copeland after the G - it's less finicky than some and very well balanced; add the usual strong earthy tone and there ya go. The Abell is also very good but a bit weaker than the Bflat of the set, which is my favorite Bflat. The WW is also good and a great value, but again a bit weaker than the Bflat of the set; nevertheless it has really full strong sound and volume and is well balanced as well.

I recently sold an Alba A (part of a A/G set) which was the stronger of the set and had a really unique Alba tone with a little more air in the tone than the others.
Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Brewster

Post by Brewster »

I agree with Chas. I have the WW Bb/A set that I bought from Glenn a year ago. It's amazing what Glenn was able to do with PVC. It has a nice tone with a little chiff and I don't have to baby it with the air pressure. Let it rip! That said, of this set, I enjoy playing the Bb set-up more, as the grip is more comfortable for me.
lisdoonvarna

Generation A whistle

Post by lisdoonvarna »

I have Generation Bb I bought a few months ago and tweaked it into an A. I really like it. Both registers are very reliable, in pitch and sound very good. . There was thread running about it some months ago where I described how to do the tweak. It was fun and the whistle ended up costing under eight dollars. Let me know if you want the instructions.
Lisdoonvarna
if at first you don't succeed, buy a new whistle
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Doc Jones has a Bb/A Abell set, that is worth considering. The Abell High D I tried once was amazing.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I've got two...a Burke Aluminum that is lovely and an Abell A that I prefer because it has more back pressure and is a bit quieter. Both are great instruments.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

MMM, I've had a bunch of A's and most of them were nice, but all very different: Abell, Copeland, WW, Sindt, and several others. My very favorite is an Overton A I got from Colin, which would be followed very closely by the Copeland A I had, and was forced to sell.

With A whistles, even more so than with the D's, I think it boils down to what you're looking for in sound and playability, I mean the Sindt is miles away from the Overton in those regards, as is the Copeland from the Abell, and so on.

Lots of good A whistles out there, have fun with the search!

Loren
gallant_murray

Post by gallant_murray »

I'm rather in love with my Shaw A. I realize that this puts me on the fringes of society, but I can accept that.
Ramzy
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

jammino wrote:I'm rather in love with my Shaw A. I realize that this puts me on the fringes of society, but I can accept that.
Ramzy
I would say that Shaws are very traditional, both in construction and in sound. You're well away from the fringes in my opinion.

--James
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Thank you for all the great responses which I will use as a reference for the future (and others will too I hope)
BUT
is there no-one out there with an A whistle made by Phil Bleazey?
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I bet IDAwHOa has one.