Our friends the whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
gallant_murray
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Our friends the whistles

Post by gallant_murray »

This question penetrates deep into the psyche of the whistler and might be personal for some.
Have any of you ever named your whistles? I have a Shaw A named Molly. The others are nameless. (I've also been known to name my shoes and hats despite ridicule from my wife.)
Ramzy
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Not me. I tend to just call them after the maker and key, but some of them have a name, even though I still call them by the brand and stuff.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

My brood is too numerous... If I had this many kids, I wouldn't name them either.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Re: Our friends the whistles

Post by Wanderer »

jammino wrote:This question penetrates deep into the psyche of the whistler and might be personal for some.
Have any of you ever named your whistles? I have a Shaw A named Molly. The others are nameless. (I've also been known to name my shoes and hats despite ridicule from my wife.)
Ramzy
I've never named any inanimate object that I've owned.
lyrick

Post by lyrick »

One time I named a whistle #@%^&*%&!#!$%, but it was just a passing moment, the name didn't stick. It turned out the problem was with my playing. I haven't named any of my other whistles.
Love...Serve...Remember
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Generally, I'm with Wanderer on this one, although I have on occasion referred to a specific whistle as d-----d honker or beast.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
gallant_murray

Post by gallant_murray »

ok guys, you're making me look like a wierdo.
I withdraw the question.
Ramzy :)
riverman

Post by riverman »

NO, you're not a wierdo! I have thought about naming my cherished brass Burke D, but I can't think of a name that adequately expresses my love for it...him--her! And "Burke" is too easy to say.
I have named my cars in the past. My first van was called "bug-eyed hippie van."
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

You're no weirdo (at least not as reflected by the flimsy evidence at hand), but perhaps, a la Miniver Cheevy, born in the wrong time. When I was a kid, men seemed to name every mechanical thing they owned, and my dad referred to our 1949 Chevy as "Old Betsy" which I believe was how Davy Crockett was said to have referrred to his musket or rifle.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Tia

Post by Tia »

Your not weird, cause if you are then so am I, although I've never named my whistle I've named my clairnet, I just haven't got around to naming my whistle, probably becasue I haven't had it for as long and I havent come up with a really good one
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i will hold my judgment on your wierdness til i hear what river otter has to say. he'll know. also, if you're going to name whistles, you should consider naming them in alphabetical order, you first whistle's name would begin "a" and so on. then you'd know how many whistles you have or have had. and you could make sure that you only buy a whistle if you're sure the name "uriah" really fits.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
walrii

Post by walrii »

I've haven't named any whistles yet but my wife names things all the time. Our cars are Daisy and Zorba. While I don't name them, I do think of my whsitles in terms of their personalities rather than their maker or key.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
cutterpup

Post by cutterpup »

I had never named a musical instrument before this year but had played a bass clarinet in junior high school named Luther. Luther was owned by the school and had been named long before I ever played it.
I've always named my cars and this year actually named a recorder..actually just a nickname, my new tenor is Big Guy because it;s wider in bore than my other one. Naming instruments seems to be more of a strings thing. My MD is Woody. As for the whistles..I only have two and they don't have names..maybe when the Hoover arrives I'll feel like naming it. My mother used to name her vacuum cleaners.
Judy and The Cutterpup
31 cameras, 11 recorders, 14 whistles, 3 mountain dulcimers, 1 vintage practice chanters, 1 wooden mystery flute, 1 hammered dulcimer, 1 bowed psaltry, 1 clarinet, 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 kids-in-law, 2 grandkids, 2 cats, 1 dog
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

My cat doesn't have a name, much less my whistles.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

mutepointe wrote: you should consider naming them in alphabetical order, you first whistle's name would begin "a" and so on. then you'd know how many whistles you have or have had.
Or you could name them "1" "2" "3" and so forth.

I never named a whistle. I had a cat once named "girl." It happened to be a female cat. I could have named it "cat" I suppose, but that would be more specific then the gender.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.