Some stuff on Evil Bay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Blackbeer wrote: The poly seems rediculously easy to play with a very forgiving blow hole.
Whales have blow holes, flutes have embouchure holes.

:P

Loren
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Loren wrote:
Blackbeer wrote: The poly seems rediculously easy to play with a very forgiving blow hole.
Whales have blow holes, flutes have embouchure holes.

:P

Loren
No correct answer here, I don't believe. Embouchure is used for both the postion of the mouth and lips as well as the hole in the headjoint of the flute. However, I have heard many knowledgeable flute people speak of the blow hole, which makes a lot of sense to me. When you speak of the blow hole, there is no confusion about what you are referring to.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
No correct answer here, I don't believe. Embouchure is used for both the postion of the mouth and lips as well as the hole in the headjoint of the flute. However, I have heard many knowledgeable flute people speak of the blow hole, which makes a lot of sense to me. When you speak of the blow hole, there is no confusion about what you are referring to.
Okay dude, you name your "knowledgeable flute people" who use that terminolgy, and I'll name mine. :poke: I guarantee you're not going to catch anyone at Powell, Haynes or Brannen Brothers using the term "Blow Hole", and folks don't get much more knowledgeable about flutes than that.

Loren
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I've frequently heard "blow hole" used at The Ahab Flute Co.* and Peg Leg Pete's Flutes and Prosthetics*.

Eric

The Ahab Flute Company and Peg Leg Pete's Flutes and Prosthetics are both wholly owned subsidiaries of Middle Eastern Flute Manufacturing Inc.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Loren wrote:
Doug_Tipple wrote:
Okay dude, you name your "knowledgeable flute people" who use that terminolgy, and I'll name mine. :poke: I guarantee you're not going to catch anyone at Powell, Haynes or Brannen Brothers using the term "Blow Hole", and folks don't get much more knowledgeable about flutes than that.

Loren
Loren, just do a Google search for "flute blow hole" and look around. You will see that this is common terminology. Even Yamaha, one of the largest professional flute manufacturers in the world, uses the terminology on their webpage.
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/edu/english/fac ... l_006.html
Jens_Hoppe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Jayhawk wrote:I've frequently heard "blow hole" used at The Ahab Flute Co.* and Peg Leg Pete's Flutes and Prosthetics*.
Peg Leg Pete does make some wicked good flutes, doesn't he?! Arrrr!! :)
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Blackbeer wrote: Qualifications: Never met a flute I didn`t like in some way
Piddled around for 3 years
Never suck spit
Will try anything once(except suck spit)
Can`t dance
To old to argue
Is this true? Does one get too old to argue? Will i get too old to argue one day as well? I'm 42 this year and you've got me worried. :-?

PS. I don't mind sucking spit with the right person. :lol:

?
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Screeeech!!! wrote:Is this true? Does one get too old to argue? Will i get too old to argue one day as well?
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Unseen122 wrote:Jump on me? I just don't consider Tony a world class maker <snip> Sounds a lot like my Bleazey except for the bore <snip>
Now you're getting it.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

No, really trees, he's learning.

See, not so long ago, yer invisible man posts an opinion about his flute, how great it is, how much he loves it after getting it a couple of months ago, how the maker's underrated even though in business for 20 years, so on and so forth. I post a contrary viewpoint, he goes into one and orders me to 'stop it' and 'let it go'.

Now, a very short time later, Tom posts an opinion about his Dixon flute and how he loves it after getting it 3 years ago, etc. and takes a bit of an exception to yer invisible man's contrary opinion (even though hasn't owned and played a Dixon rosewood flute, which of course explains the 'judgmental' remark Tom made earlier).

But, instead of blathering on at Tom about what a wonderful player he is, probably better than any of us guys thinks he is, what a fast learner, the value of listening which we obviously don't understand, yadayada, yer IM, whilst expressing apparent surprise at being almost but not quite 'jumped on', concedes that the Dixon rosewood may in fact be as good as his Bleazey or indeed that the Bleazey may in fact be as good as a Dixon rosewood, and that therefore neither are world-class flutes. This is true, and is progress along the learning curve which is directionally correct.

Hence my expression of encouragement and appreciation, "now you're getting it."
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

was just kidding, though I do have several embarassing memories of thinking various instruments were the dog's b*ll*cks just after I'd got them only to find them lemons in the cold light of day.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

treeshark wrote:was just kidding, though I do have several embarassing memories of thinking various instruments were the dog's b*ll*cks just after I'd got them only to find them lemons in the cold light of day.
Sounds like a case of Flute Goggles. Very effective when used in conjunction with Hose Clamps.
Jayhawk wrote:I've frequently heard "blow hole" used at The Ahab Flute Co.* and Peg Leg Pete's Flutes and Prosthetics*.
I almost spit out my oatmeal from laughing.

Cheers,
Aaron
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

GaryKelly wrote:
Unseen122 wrote:Jump on me? I just don't consider Tony a world class maker <snip> Sounds a lot like my Bleazey except for the bore <snip>
Now you're getting it.
I knew you were going to do that.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

To lighten up this thread a lttle bit, I will relate part of a telephone conversation with a friend, who told me about her trip to the city yesterday. She wasn't paying attention where she parked her car, and when she came out of the seminar, she couldn't find her car. So she hired a cab, who ran up a $25 cab fare driving all over downtown until she spotted her car in the parking lot next to the hotel where the seminar was held. Oh well, it is just time and money. I am glad that I wasn't with her. I generally am a patient person, but......