Fake Accents

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

I find when I go to East LA (ees el ay) it takes about two hours for me to start speaking very convincing barrio-nese. That's the generalized, Hispanic language accent influenced English of my ancestors. :D

It comes from the hours I spent as a kid, sitting in my Tio's (Tio = uncle) kitchen eating tortillas heated on the open gas burner of the stove, while the grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and all chatted, and teased each other in Spanglish. I remember Tio Jevi asking "Mas tortillas Mijito?"

Ah, the good old days. When happiness was buttering a slightly charred tortilla with your fingers on a formica tabletop. :P
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

dfernandez77 wrote: tortillas heated on the open gas burner of the stove
And had they been masa just 10 or 15 minutes ago? Yummy! :D
dfernandez77 wrote: "Mas tortillas Mijito?"
Anytime, Tio! :)
dfernandez77 wrote: Ah, the good old days. When happiness was buttering a slightly charred tortilla with your fingers on a formica tabletop. :P
If you have a tortilla, you are the world's richest man. You get a new spoon with every bite! :wink:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Brewster
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Brewster »

Let me take this thread on a slight tangent.

Name some movie/TV actors that have tried to affect an accent to do a role but end up sounding bizarre. Examples:

Tom Bosley in "Murder She Wrote"--attempt at sounding like a down east Maine cop was awful

Rob Morrow in "Quiz Show"--tries to sound like a Kennedy (which is an accent unto itself) or Boston accent, but still sounded very strange to this New Englander.

Any others?
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Brewster wrote:Let me take this thread on a slight tangent.

Name some movie/TV actors that have tried to affect an accent to do a role but end up sounding bizarre. Examples:

Tom Bosley in "Murder She Wrote"--attempt at sounding like a down east Maine cop was awful

Rob Morrow in "Quiz Show"--tries to sound like a Kennedy (which is an accent unto itself) or Boston accent, but still sounded very strange to this New Englander.

Any others?
Kevin Costner in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Blech.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins :D
djm

Post by djm »

jsluder wrote:Kevin Costner in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Blech.
This was so bad that Mel Brooks had enough material to be able to base an entire movie, Robinhood: Men in Tights, to spoof just this one film.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

avanutria wrote:Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins :D
You mean Martin doesn't sound just like that?! :boggle:
mukade

Post by mukade »

I was surprised to find that John Mahoney, who played the father in Frasier, is from Blackpool, Lancashire.

As for bad accents, Marlon Brando in Mutiny on the Bounty. :boggle:

Mukade
Innocent Bystander

Awful TV accents

Post by Innocent Bystander »

By G*d!
Do yez remember Angel's awful Irish accent in the flashbacks in Buffy and Angel?

It took me ages to work out what was wrong. His consonants were fine. His vowels were almost acceptable.

It was the rhythm. He was speaking Irish-style words in a Yddisher rhythm slowed down to a Californian drawl. Lots of Irish people speak slow, but yer man had terrible trouble with the rhythm.

It was one of those hypnotic things. Like the chorus says in Oedipus:
"I am fascinated, yet repelled!"
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

It seems like Britishers, Irish and Scots do better American accents than the other way around.

For example, Bob Hoskins in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

One of the best accents I've heard in a movie were those from Fargo.
Martin Sheen did a pretty good Virginia blueblood accent in Gettysburg.

Like many here I also start using local dialect pretty soon after being in company with locals. I get embarrased when I realize it.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Steve Martin's French accent is pretty bad.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

djm wrote:
jsluder wrote:Kevin Costner in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Blech.
This was so bad that Mel Brooks had enough material to be able to base an entire movie, Robinhood: Men in Tights, to spoof just this one film.
Yes, though I did enjoy Alan Rickman's over-the-top performance as the Sherrif of Nottingham.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Facinating, though perhaps not bad - but I don't know for sure how accurate it is.

Brad Pitt's Pikey (English Gypsy) accent in Snatch.
http://www.tofutaco.com/quick/01BradPit ... aiurgh.mp3

Great film - great soundtrack. :thumbsup:
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

The chap who played Lt. Winters in Band of Brothers was amazing - I had no idea at all he was an Englishman until I looked him up on the IMDB.
An Irish friend of mine imitated an old Boston Jewish friend of ours - and came out sounding like a 90-year old black guy! How does that work?
Mike Henry

Post by Mike Henry »

yet another tangent:
picking up an accent via immersion is, I believe, analagous to picking up ornamentation, phrasing, etc. from listening to musicians. ITM is an aural tradition.
We learn to speak a language (and dialects) by hearing and working to reproduce similar sounds. The handing down of tunes works the same way.
I suspect I'm merely stating the obvious, but couldn't help but be put in mind of learning the tunes by ear as basically the same process of learning language.