Where do you practise when you take your Flute to work ?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

When I lived briefly in a hostel , I found an electrical switch room in the basement to practice in. Not very salubrious but better than outside in winter. The car is good too, but in English-speaking countries you have to sit in the passenger seat.

Don't forget you can reduce the volume of sound produced by your flute or whistle if forced to practice in sensitive areas. Just put a blob of Blutack on the outside of the flute opposite your lip, just beyond the "edge". The size of blob and how close to the edge will determine how much sound will be produced. Not as much fun as full-throated playing, but perfectly adequate if that's all circumstances will allow.

Terry
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Terry McGee wrote:The car is good too, but in English-speaking countries you have to sit in the passenger seat.
Are you saying we don't speak English in the USA or Canada? :wink:

And what about lefties?
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

AaronMalcomb wrote:
Terry McGee wrote:The car is good too, but in English-speaking countries you have to sit in the passenger seat.
Are you saying we don't speak English in the USA or Canada? :wink:

And what about lefties?
Or American Lefties?

We don't just live in Dublin you know!!!
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I don't play at work, but I had a great time playing in the hotel stairwell when I was at a conference last fall. Great ringing acoustics!!!

Mary
neilC
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Flute player with The Munster Men, trying to get all the help and advice I can as the journey never ends!

Post by neilC »

You guys have really opened my eyes to just how reserved and shy I've been (stereotypes, I'd spit on them... if only my upper lip wasn't so stiff) It has genuinely never occurred to me that I could practice during a working day. Then again, the english stereotype could be used against itself - if I play, no one will have the nerve to tell me to stop. They will of course hate me and tell all their mates about the incredible din they heard, but next day I'll hear either nothing or a great compliment on my playing. Result!
Flute and whistle player with The Munster Men

A few random recordings of mine on YouTube
maire

Post by maire »

I work in the upstairs offices of an Irish Language Cultural Centre.
We get to sit in the restaurant and play tunes anytime we want or can (time permitting).
It also helps that everyone bar 2 people on our team are trad musicians.
Couldnt ask for better, whistle, flute, pipes, and fiddle, not to mention a very tasty singer!
Flauta dolce

Lunch hour should be renamed "practise time / Flute-tim

Post by Flauta dolce »

Maire, your situation sounds enviable.

I think that lunch hour should be renamed "practise time" or Flute-time"
What do you think?

I've brought my Flute in today, look forward to playing at the usual time and place. (!) :lol:
maire

Post by maire »

I know!
It`s great working in a place where you are not castigated for wanting to play trad all the time!
In saying that I do have loads of work to do, and I dont spend every day playing trad in the centre, but at least the option is there, and I would always have someone to play with.

I believe I know you from the Session forum Fluata, my moniker is Blas there. Did you get the whole 'Flute on shoulder' thing sorted?
Flauta dolce

Flute-on- shoulder thing

Post by Flauta dolce »

I will stick to what you and Breadain were saying ie off-shoulder playing and strengthening my embouchure.

Thanks for asking, Maire.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Conference room on the basement level late at night.
/Bloomfield
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Either I leave work early and play at home, or I leave work so late that I can play anywhere… …and I play the fife.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I usually get to work about 15-30 mins early, and play in the car. During work, there's not much time. I often go to work with my lunchmates, so can't play during those times, but on the odd time I have to run errands by myself, I get another half-hour or so of practice time in at lunch.
JS

Post by JS »

Not practice, exactly, but we've managed a Friday lunch-time session prettry regularly this year. While it's current, you should be able to see a photo of some of us here:

(edited to remove dead link)
Last edited by JS on Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Furthermore he gave up coffee, and naturally his brain stopped working." -- Orhan Pamuk
regor

Post by regor »

I play at lunch time a few times a week jamming with a group of co-workers in one of the quiet meeting rooms (fed government building). As long as we don't push the envelop and stay between 12:00-13:00 it's fine no one's complaining.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I keep the Dixon DuoFlop in the map pocket of the car passenger seat. So traffic jams, lunch, whatever ... if the urge arises I'll sneak in a few in the car.

Needless to say, I looooooove that flute then! :lol:

But no, usually I play at home after I've fed the beasties for the night. A cup of decaf tea, and off I go. Thrilling, huh?

maire, is your place hiring? :-D
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.