Embouchure undercutting

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

The top Boehm flute makers really have embouchures down to a science, and many are quite secretive about it: In some cases going as far as keeping employees who work on headjoints segregated from those who do other operations, and forbidding them (legally) from disclosing any of the hows or whys of the headjoint/embouchure making process and specs, to anyone, even other employees within the company.

But then that's to be expected, it's a very competitive industry, with everyone looking for an edge.

Loren
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Loren wrote:But then that's to be expected, it's a very competitive industry, with everyone looking for an edge.

Loren
Quite literally!
chas

Post by chas »

So if one wants to (repeatably) cut an embouchure at 7 degrees, or ones favorite angle, how does one do it? If a degree makes a real difference, I wouldn't think freehand would do it, and I haven't seen too many CNC machines in flute shops. Is there a hardened steel template with angled edges, or a 7 degree mill or something?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
BMFW
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BMFW »

Doug_Tipple wrote:With embouchures cut by hand you can expect some variation from flute to flute, even from the same maker.
This is why I believe that truly great flutes can only come from makers who can blow accurately and consistantly and therefore test their own work before it goes to a customer. It's no secret that Chris Wilkes spends an inordinate amount of time making such tiny adjustments after many would consider a flute finished and ready to ship. It is arguable whether the majority of customers could find any noticeable difference, but such is the pride of a truly great craftsmen, one assumes.
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

BMFW wrote:
Doug_Tipple wrote:With embouchures cut by hand you can expect some variation from flute to flute, even from the same maker.
This is why I believe that truly great flutes can only come from makers who can blow accurately and consistantly and therefore test their own work before it goes to a customer. It's no secret that Chris Wilkes spends an inordinate amount of time making such tiny adjustments after many would consider a flute finished and ready to ship. It is arguable whether the majority of customers could find any noticeable difference, but such is the pride of a truly great craftsmen, one assumes.
Bah. You seem to be implying that a truly great flute requires a maker who understands not only the mundane workaday trivia of his or her trade, such as wood- and metal-working, but also a detailed knowledge of how miniscule adjustments can and will affect the flutey goodness of the final product.

Also, you seem to be implying that a great flute requires that the maker has the ability and understanding necessary to play the instrument well, well enough to make those miniscule adjustments. And not only that, to include all this attention to detail routinely, as if it were some kind of Quality Process to produce consistently superlative instruments which may be relied upon to perform, flute after flute.

Pfft. If that were really true, then no-one would be able to call such things as Hall Crystal Flutes "great", would they? And surely 'awesome' would be right out. Besides, wasn't there a big thread on the whistle board about this, 'I don't play 'em, I just make 'em?'

Again I say bah.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

GaryKelly wrote:Also, you seem to be implying that a great flute requires that the maker has the ability and understanding necessary to play the instrument well, well enough to make those miniscule adjustments. And not only that, to include all this attention to detail routinely, as if it were some kind of Quality Process to produce consistently superlative instruments which may be relied upon to perform, flute after flute.
It would be a little worrying to buy a flute from somebody who could play one well, I always think of the car analogy; would you buy a sportscar made by someone who could drive?

I only bought my McNotChud after he demonstrated he couldn't play a note...
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

treeshark wrote:I only bought my McNotChud after he demonstrated he couldn't play a note...
A fact which had as much effect on your good lady as trying to stop a truck by throwing frozen peas at it, as I recall. And of course, Paddy doesn't undercut his embouchure holes, particularly on the hole-less bogoak model. He agrees with the school of thought that "there really is no "proper" angle" for undercutting, and since someone told him Rockstro was an old f*rt and not only that, dead, he prefers to carve his own inimitable path ignoring all around him. It keeps his art pure. Or so I heard.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
BMFW

Post by BMFW »

GaryKelly wrote:Besides, wasn't there a big thread on the whistle board about this, 'I don't play 'em, I just make 'em?'
I wouldn't know - I try not to stray over to that particular board, full of those vulgar individuals to attempt to make "music" out of scaffolding tubes. They probably eat Scoth Eggs as well - common as muck! :D
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Ummm...Scotch Eggs. Now you've made me want to go play shaky egg, but I'll wake up the wife and kid which isn't advisable.

Eric
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

Hey I've a really cool idea we can post pictures of our undercuts. It's easy to do just make sure you cut the flute directly through the center of the emboucher before you scan it.
Here's my Wilkes:

Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Now, Treeshark, people are going to take you seriously and start sawing on their new flutes, just to take a photo. I can understand that artists may be inclined to do such things, but that kind of activity is not for "normal" people.

Speaking of the seven degree angle suggested for the embouchure in this thread, do you see anything that is even close to a seven degree angle in the photo? I don't.
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

Never fear Mr Tipple I hope nobody is that daft! ... but there again..
The 7 degrees? Well both my wooden flutes appear to be around the 40 to 45 degree mark.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Are you sure that's a section through the embouchure and not one of the tone-holes, treeshark? I tried it on my ironwood McNotChud but the electric carving knife broke. I should've known what he meant when he said it had a 'strong hard low D'. When I get back from the hospital I'll see if I can measure the undercut on a Hall Crystal Flute, it's a great flute, but I may be some time getting the results (the egg-slicer is all I have left in the kitchen to do the job now).

Yours eye, etc.
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

GaryKelly wrote: I tried it on my ironwood McNotChud but the electric carving knife broke.
Oh, for playing out loud! You're supposed to use a "light sectioning microscope" or a microtombe at least...no wonder you're short on kitchen utensils......
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

hmmm.... "mini carving drill kit".... plus currently extremely unplayable wooden flute from questionable manufacturer... hmmm.... could elicit some interesting results... and some colorful language... hmmm ... and maybe some fine kindling...

I must finish the case first... I must finish the case first...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com