Mandolin with pin bridge instead of tailpiece?

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
LimuHead
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Mandolin with pin bridge instead of tailpiece?

Post by LimuHead »

Does anyone know of a mandolin that has a pin bridge for the strings instead of the metal tailpiece?

I've been thinking about getting a mandolin for a while now, but keep deciding against it because the tailpiece is sooooo uncomfortable. I figured a pin bridge would solve the problem.

Thanks for any leads,
Aldon
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

The tailpiece is uncomfortable on your picking hand? (Resting on it?)

I don't know of any non-tailpiece mandos, although there may be some out there, however there are armrests that you can buy which cover the tailpiece: http://kingbrown.netfirms.com/accessories.html

As well as the rather expensive integrated TP/Arm rest made by Weber: http://www.soundtoearth.com/prod_armrest.htm

Either of which should solve your problem.

Loren
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

Thanks for the links!

Yeah, the problem is the tailpiece gouging into my forearm. The armrests that cover the tailpiece look like they'd solve the problem nicely.

Thanks again.
Aldon
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

No prob, happy to help!

I'd like to get one of those armrests myself at some point.

Loren
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

The move to a pin bridge requires a much stronger top capable of resisting the twisting pressure. That'll change the sound to something much more like a guitar.

I've never seen a mando with a pin bridge, but I have seen an octave mandolin with one. That made a pelasing sound, but it was much darker than is usual; closer to guitar.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Loren-- on the Weber, what's the dingus attached to the strings just below the bridge? A damper of some sort?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Miwokhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Miwokhill »

Aldon, The Ovation mandolins have a flat bridge- not with the dreadnaughts or pins but with the strings running thru a short hole at string level. They use ball end strings. --I guess the applause mandos are the non-solid top version...I played an applause and it picks a little differently I think because of lack of a tailpiece, maybe a little stiff but maybe it was just the string guage but anyway if you check them out maybe keep that in mind .

mike
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

brewerpaul wrote:Loren-- on the Weber, what's the dingus attached to the strings just below the bridge? A damper of some sort?
Yeah man, Weber calls it the "Wood Nymph", although perhaps they should have named it the "Weber String Dingus" :lol: It's an afterlength vibration damper. Looks cool, if perhaps a bit of overkill - I piece of leather woven through the stings back there ought to do the job just as well I imagine. But who knows, perhaps there's some science behind Weber's particular method.

Loren
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I have even used part of a Rubber band on my Banjo, for $18 I think the "Dingus" (that is a funny word) or Wood Nymph is not worth it. Of course there are some snobby people out there who probably insist on having one.
rh

Re: Mandolin with pin bridge instead of tailpiece?

Post by rh »

LimuHead wrote:Does anyone know of a mandolin that has a pin bridge for the strings instead of the metal tailpiece?
Thomas Buchanan http://www.folkmandolin.co.uk/
there is no end to the walking
LimuHead

Post by LimuHead »

Thanks for the help folks!

I checked out the Ovations online. I'm going to a local music store & check them out.

The mandolin site that rh posted is under construction at the moment, but from how gorgeous the mandolin looks I think it'll probably cost a pretty penny.

The mandolin I've had my eye (and ears) on is from Lark in the Morning. It's called the Senorita Mandolin. That plus an armrest that covers the tailpiece should work well.

Thanks again!
Aldon
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

LimuHead wrote:The mandolin I've had my eye (and ears) on is from Lark in the Morning.
I have heard they're under new management, but I have heard a LOT of bad reports about LOTM's ethics, quality, and customer service.

I'll certainly never deal with them again, for instance, after wasting way too much money on an unplayable cittern.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
LimuHead

Post by LimuHead »

s1m0n wrote:
LimuHead wrote:The mandolin I've had my eye (and ears) on is from Lark in the Morning.
I have heard they're under new management, but I have heard a LOT of bad reports about LOTM's ethics, quality, and customer service.

I'll certainly never deal with them again, for instance, after wasting way too much money on an unplayable cittern.
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't been to their store in a while.

What would you recommend in the sub $300 category? I like more punch, sustain, and fatness of tone than I usually hear with the F style mandolins.

Aldon
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

LimuHead wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't been to their store in a while.
I've heard that it's a different experience shopping in person--for one, you can see and test the quality of the instrument in question, and if you have problems you can drag in back to them. I was shopping by mail, and internationally to boot. However, they have changed hands since then, and I don't have a recent report.
What would you recommend in the sub $300 category? I like more punch, sustain, and fatness of tone than I usually hear with the F style mandolins.
I'd go with ebay, or the mandolin cafe classifieds. If you join the cafe and lurk or post enough to know the regulars (ie, folks with a reputation to lose) you can find a used instrument you can trust.

Or, I'd suggest David Kilpatrick's Troubador brand if you're set on a new instrument. He imports mass-produced east-bloc instruments, probably from similar sources to Lark, but (I've heard) he screens out the duds in a way that Lark doesn't, and he gives each a good setup before they leave his shop.

http://www.troubadour.uk.com/

He's a member of cittern-L, and I've heard no bad reports about the quailty for money. Usual disclaimers: I've never met him and never seen one of his instruments.

I've certainly seen him go an extra length or two to satisfy a customer.

C.S. Lewis
LimuHead

Post by LimuHead »

Thanks s1m0n - judging from the description at the website that's exactly what I was hoping for. The price is excellent too, about $50 less than what the Senorita costs. That gives me room to get the armrest thingy sooner. Another bonus is the slightly smaller scale length (recommended for fiddlers). I was hoping to use the mandolin to help me with reading in the upper positions on the fiddle.

Thanks huge quantities for your help!
Aldon