Never Never Never!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Hey now you guys...cut it out!

I've spent years convincing my wife that it's not spit it's condensation.

Hope she doesn't see this thread....Sheesh!

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Doc Jones wrote:Hey now you guys...cut it out!

I've spent years convincing my wife that it's not spit it's condensation.

Hope she doesn't see this thread....Sheesh!

Doc
Hmmmmmmm, just how much did you say that flute was? :twisted:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
walrii

Post by walrii »

Unseen122 wrote:As most Whistles are made of metal and the metal may cause problem if ingested.
If you live anywhere in the western world, your drinking water comes through miles of copper pipe. You've literally drank thousands of gallons of metal-tainted water in your life. A quarter teaspoon of spit from a brass whistle, even if you play hours each day, is'nt even on the chart.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

walrii wrote:
Unseen122 wrote:As most Whistles are made of metal and the metal may cause problem if ingested.
If you live anywhere in the western world, your drinking water comes through miles of copper pipe. You've literally drank thousands of gallons of metal-tainted water in your life. A quarter teaspoon of spit from a brass whistle, even if you play hours each day, is'nt even on the chart.
We have a big "are copper whistles harmful" and "are aluminum whistles harmful" thread every now and again. (see here) Whenever these threads come up, people seem to forget aluminum cams, aluminum and copper cookware, copper pipes for water, underarm deoderant, etc.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

peeplj wrote:I have been "sucking back" on both recorders and whistles for many years.

Then again, maybe that's a good argument not to. :o :D :lol:

--James
... this is just too gross for words, so, Pbblbpbbllbb,hicglorp, pbblbbplbb ACK! :shock:
shadeclan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by shadeclan »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
peeplj wrote:I have been "sucking back" on both recorders and whistles for many years.

Then again, maybe that's a good argument not to. :o :D :lol:

--James
... this is just too gross for words, so, Pbblbpbbllbb,hicglorp, pbblbbplbb ACK! :shock:
I believe that I will have to side with Mr. Smith on this one. :o
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

walrii wrote:
All of the water transfer pipe I have ever seen dug up was either galvanized or some sort of plastic. Copper was used extensively from the street and throughout the home but has been replaced by various plastic materials for the most part in recent decades.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Copper is still allowable by code here; only new construction in the last decade has had all-PVC or CPVC inside the house. I still see the odd bit of lead pipe (drain side only) in renovations.

Do I have to sell my Strontium-tipped super-session-bore Blurke now? It's such a great stick: clear, in tune with itself, with a little bit of chiff. :D
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
bozemanhc

Post by bozemanhc »

The main reason that PVC pipe has replaced copper is because of the cost of copper. Copper pipe is fine for water supply and as stated above, it is used mostly inside the building, not in water lines supplying the building. A copper pipe that large would really be cost prohibitive.
Howard
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Whistles are made to blow, not suck!
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

burnsbyrne wrote:Whistles are made to blow, not suck!
But of you cover all the holes and put your lips over the ramp you can suck-up most of a Slurpy (the last bit tends to cavitate and flow back into the cup - so a low D would be useless for this) :lol:
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

I suck. :oops:

No, really. But only clarinet spit. Everyone knows that the reed acts as a filter, and mitigates the possible harmful effects of reingesting your own exhalations. Besides giving the condensate Reed Flavor, which surpasses Brass Gas or other flavors.

However, I do Not Suck on flute. Or whistle.

Jennie
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Jennie wrote:I suck. :oops:

No, really. But only clarinet spit. Everyone knows that the reed acts as a filter, and mitigates the possible harmful effects of reingesting your own exhalations. Besides giving the condensate Reed Flavor, which surpasses Brass Gas or other flavors.

However, I do Not Suck on flute. Or whistle.

Jennie
Fresh reeds always taste like Grape Nuts to me. Except Omegas: they taste a bit like fois gras.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Chief Wanganui

Re: Never Never Never!

Post by Chief Wanganui »

Phil Hardy wrote:Never hold your whistle at the bottom and try to flick spit out of the mouthpiece.
This can result in all sorts of problem including:
The whistle flyingout of your hands.
The headjoint flying off.
On alloy whistles,the block flying out.
Catching the edge of a table and bashing your whistle out of shape.
This is a very stupid practice and should be discouraged.
If your whistle becomes clogged,just put you finger over the window and gently blow the spit clear.
You know it makes sense.
Phil
ps never suck the spit back into your mouth,this should go without saying but is a very common practice.
Covering the window and blowing is best although I'm not so sure about gently. Force ten works for me.
If the red light is on and you only have a minim (halfnote) rest, you've got to suck. I think the list of deaths from swallowing one's own saliva is probably one of history's shorter lists.
That Scottish Git.