SuitSat-1: A Spacesuit Floats Free

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Denny
antispam: No

SuitSat-1: A Spacesuit Floats Free

Post by Denny »

Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Isn't that terrible! Who thought up that dreadful idea???

Can't you just imagine all those poor aliens looking out their spaceship windows going "Uh oh . . . "
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Ground Control to Major Tom ....

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Yeah, there was a UHF/VHF transmitter inside the suit. I tried to pick up the transmission from the suit according to the coordinates from the web, but got nothing. I later found that the batteries froze and failed. Too bad... :cry:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

There's something spooky about that. Like the scene in 2001.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

... great, one more piece of garbage orbiting Earth. They'd better keep good track of it until it re-enters the atmosphere... that chunk of stuff could seriously damage satelites, or worse yet, shuttles and other space bound craft.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:... great, one more piece of garbage orbiting Earth. They'd better keep good track of it until it re-enters the atmosphere... that chunk of stuff could seriously damage satelites, or worse yet, shuttles and other space bound craft.
Or worse even still, people.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Cranberry wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:... great, one more piece of garbage orbiting Earth. They'd better keep good track of it until it re-enters the atmosphere... that chunk of stuff could seriously damage satelites, or worse yet, shuttles and other space bound craft.
It's in lower orbit than our communications satalites, not to worry.

It will burn up very quickly upon reentry, though. No safety issue here.
It'll burn faster than tissue in flame.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Tyler Morris wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
It's in lower orbit than our communications satalites, not to worry.

It will burn up very quickly upon reentry, though. No safety issue here.
It'll burn faster than tissue in flame.
more info
djm

Post by djm »

REUTERS(C) KANSAS FEB 21
Police here started receiving complaints this morning of soiled Russian underwear landing over an area of approxiamatlely three square miles. Local residents reported to police that the underwear seemed to be drifting down out of the sky. Police and FAA officials are baffled, as no Russian aircraft are reported to have been in the vicinity. Pictures at eleven.
Innocent Bystander

Three Square Miles? (Tomorrow?)

Post by Innocent Bystander »

REUTERS(C) KANSAS FEB 21
Police here started receiving complaints this morning of soiled Russian underwear landing over an area of approxiamatlely three square miles. Local residents reported to police that the underwear seemed to be drifting down out of the sky. Police and FAA officials are baffled, as no Russian aircraft are reported to have been in the vicinity. Pictures at eleven.
So Russian Astronauts wear BIG underwear then...? :wink:
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

djm wrote:REUTERS(C) KANSAS FEB 21
... great, more soiled Russian underwear of unknown origin raining down on Kansas, frightening the locals and the livestock. I'll bet they aren't edible either.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:... great, more soiled Russian underwear of unknown origin raining down on Kansas, frightening the locals and the livestock.
Is that what happened to Fred Phelps?
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
djm

Post by djm »

This is Major Tom to Ground Control.
I'm stepping through the door -----
And I'm floating in a most peculiar way.
And the stars seems very different today.

djm
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I asked my brother about this and this morning he sent me the following:
RadioSkaf stands for Radio-Skafander (translated: Spacesuit Satellite). It was deployed by the Russians during their last EVA to make contact with ham radio participants from schools all over the world.

These photos were taken on board before going out on the spacewalk where they deployed the unmanned suit:

Expedition 12 Flight Engineer Valery Tokarev places the Radioskaf 11.2 Kit and the 825 M Boxes inside the open Orlan suit as he prepares the suit for Radioskaf (also known as Suitsat-1) microsatellite operations. Takarev is working in the Unity Node 1 module. Image taken on Expedition 12.

Expedition 12 Flight Engineer Valery Tokarev installs the Radioskaf bracket 11.3 for the control box and antenna to the Orlan suit helmet visor as he prepares the suit for Radioskaf (also known as Suitsat-1) microsatellite operations. Takarev is working in the Unity Node 1 module. Image taken on Expedition 12.