BEFORE GOD AND EVERYONE...................

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
SoTX
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by SoTX »

Hmm. I guess I have to mention that from time to time we see alligators in Oso Creek here in Corpus. People don't swim in the Oso. We mostly swim in the bay or, like, you know, pools. Sometimes when one of the 'gators gets too close to a playground it will be picked up and moved away. It's quite an operation and always makes for good local news.

I can't remember anyone being injured by either a 'gator or a shark. Having lived in North Dakota, I'll take my chances.

-- Don
Tom O'Farrell

Post by Tom O'Farrell »

So where in the states is the best climate of all?
Not Florida or the gulf coast because of the growing number of hurricanes. It's too scary to contemplate.
Best answer is south in winter and north in summer I think, two small homes. But that means being self-employed. Or rich.
Tom O'Farrell.
www.tomofarrell.ca
clark
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

So where in the states is the best climate of all?
Well, my state is the furthest south in the US. Summer is warm and mild with nice trade winds and winter is ...well the same. Humidity? Just right for flutes all year. I don't bring this up to rub your cold snowy noses in it; you see we don't have many Irish musicians here and I'm trying to woo you here. While I've heard a rummor (from this board) that there is another Irish flute player in the state I've seen no evidence of him or her. I'm the only one I've ever seen.

Aloha,
Clark

Month Low High
Jan 65.7°F 80.4°F
Feb 65.4°F 80.7°F
Mar 66.9°F 81.7°F
Apr 68.2°F 83.1°F
May 69.6°F 84.9°F
Jun 72.1°F 86.9°F
Jul 73.8°F 87.8°F
Aug 74.7°F 88.9°F
Sept 74.2°F 88.9°F
Oct 73.2°F 87.2°F
Nov 71.1°F 84.3°F
Dec 67.8°F 81.7°F
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Tom O'Farrell wrote:So where in the states is the best climate of all?

Arguably, San Diego, CA. But we lived there 15 years ago, and I guess the traffic and smog are much worse now, not to mention the cost of living, which was sky high then as well.....

I love the Southern/Southeastern states, personally....

Mary (Who would definately try Honolulu, 80 degree weather is perfect, as far as I'm concerned....)
SoTX

Post by SoTX »

Why don't we all move to Kailua and have one humongous session? My wife would definitely vote for that.

But I have this day job ...

-- Don
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

I`m game if there are any horses I can work with over there..........

Take care

Tom
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I think that living near the 40 degree lattitude here in Indiana is about as optimum as you can get in the USA. We have four distinct seasons, and the temperatures are temperate, not too hot and not too cold. Forty inches of rain per year and a little snow in the winter makes it interesting. It is possible to grow field crops without irrigation, although I like to water my garden a little bit. Indiana also has an abundant supply of underground water. And if you like big lakes, Lake Michigan is one of the largest and most beautiful lakes in the world. I swim there every summer, and I feel like I am in heaven. I don't worry about alligators or sharks, either. Maybe a tornado here and there, but no place is perfect. There are some terrific housing values as well. For example, I have my father's home for sale. It is a very nice two bedroom house with all hardwood floors and redwood siding on the outside. It sits on a half acre of land in the back of a woods. I have the property listed for sale at $62,000, and that should give you an idea of the bargains that you can find in the midwest. I thought about living there myself, by I like to live in a university town where a little more is happening, especially on the music scene.
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

Doug,

Years ago, my new bride and I lived in Springfield, Illinois a bit to the west of you. We lived out of town in a house I bought for $19,500! I have many fond memories of the mild seasons. We have even talked about moving back to that area in a few more years. There are indeed some great areas to live down there.

P.S. I have never again been able to grow tomatoes like the one's I grew there.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

When you're as old as me, you want to find a warm place
to die. I want to miss seasons, to write in how oppressed
I am by blue skies and balmy temperatures, day after
day after day.

Instead I have Providence RI;
oh, god, it's friggin cold.
JeffS

Post by JeffS »

Oakland, CA

The good: I can wear a t-shirt on almost any day of the year. Lots of stuff to do, good Irish music to hear and play. Some of the most scenic camping in the world at my doorstep.

The bad: My home is about a mile away from the Northern Hayward Fault, meaning my neighborhood isn't expected to fair too well in the next big one.

The ugly: A 900 sq foot fixer in my neighborhood - a neighborhood with public schools so bad, no sane individual would subject their children to unless out of absolute financial necessity - goes for about a million bucks.

(shout out to all the RENTERS out there)
"Where I came from, to get enough to eat was an achievement. To get enough to get drunk was a victory" (Brendan Behan)
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

JeffS wrote:Oakland, CA

The ugly: A 900 sq foot fixer in my neighborhood - a neighborhood with public schools so bad, no sane individual would subject their children to unless out of absolute financial necessity - goes for about a million bucks.
See, that's where I just have to wonder..... How in the heck does one qualify for a million dollar home loan, even if you did want to live in that shack....?

I am thrilled beyond measure at my town, and the house we have now, but I am sure I will be working until I am 90 years old to pay it off!!!! :o

M
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Doug_Tipple wrote:I think that living near the 40 degree lattitude here in Indiana is about as optimum as you can get in the USA. We have four distinct seasons, and the temperatures are temperate, not too hot and not too cold. Forty inches of rain per year and a little snow in the winter makes it interesting. It is possible to grow field crops without irrigation, although I like to water my garden a little bit. Indiana also has an abundant supply of underground water. And if you like big lakes, Lake Michigan is one of the largest and most beautiful lakes in the world. I swim there every summer, and I feel like I am in heaven. I don't worry about alligators or sharks, either. Maybe a tornado here and there, but no place is perfect. There are some terrific housing values as well. For example, I have my father's home for sale. It is a very nice two bedroom house with all hardwood floors and redwood siding on the outside. It sits on a half acre of land in the back of a woods. I have the property listed for sale at $62,000, and that should give you an idea of the bargains that you can find in the midwest. I thought about living there myself, by I like to live in a university town where a little more is happening, especially on the music scene.
Now now Doug come clean. You forgot to mention the 100% humidity. :lol:

But, to be honest, I spent veterinary school in Doug's home town and can certainly vouch for the Mid-west's inexpensive homes and wonderful people. :)

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

What it lacks is color. St. Louis is a good place, but
it sure ain't Oz.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Denny wrote: ...at least I can walk on frozen mud... :lol:
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16 below with wind chill here Saturday. What I want to know is, if I keep freezing my butt off so frequently, why is it still so big?

And P.S. I AM SO OVER HAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (especially inside my coveralls)

I found a piece clogging my whistle the other day. Sheesh.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Denny

Post by Denny »

insidious stuff hay!

not too sure about the butt thing... :wink: