Yet another: In Search of a Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Danner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Yet another: In Search of a Flute

Post by Danner »

I know we're all annoyed by these sorts of posts, but getting opinions from others is always good. So, help me please. Okay, here's what I want:
a. Wood (I've tried polymer, but I really can't stand the feel)
b. Less than or around $1000
c. A flute that will last me a long time (one I won't "grow out of" for many years)
d. I don't care so much about model, but I'd prefer a Rudall
e. Keys would be nice, but I know they won't fit in my present budget. So, I'd like to try to get something that I can retrofit in a few years.
f. Some sort of tuning slide (Doesn't have to be great, but I need something)

So, I've made a list (in order) of my favorites that more or less fit the criteria.
1. Burns Ergonomic Standard in Mopane
2. Unkeyed Copley in Blackwood
3. Ward- probably unkeyed blackwood
4. McGee (dunno which model I'd get)
5.Healy 3-piece probably
6. Noy's basic Grenadilla model

I'm open to suggestions, etc.
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
BillG

Post by BillG »

I'd lean towards the Copley: he's been inserting tuning slides as long as he's been making flutes - Burns' flutes are great but only recently adding slides, according to his web site. Copley flutes are hybrid: a bit of Rudall and a bit of Pratten and have a great resale value.

Not to upset anyone, I have a Casey Burns Boxwood keyless and I love it. But I thnk you're looking for something else here.

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
dow
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

From what little I know, that looks to be a good list, and you'll probably do fine with any of them. Additionaly, I read very positive things about Jon C.'s flutes (here on the board, do a search).

I've got a GLP on order from Terry. It would fit your budget, but for a tuning slide, it would get you up to 1195. Mine has the MDT instead. Less expensive, and he can retrofit a tuning slide down the road if you want one.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
daiv

Post by daiv »

if you want to retrofit keys, then Copley would be the way to go. he has two options for that. you can have block mounts on your keyless flute, so when you have the money he can put the keys on to your existing flute, several at a time or all in one go. the other option is when you want to upgrade, send back your old body and you can buy a new body with keys, keeping your headjoint and barrell. this is a nice option because it costs you more money later, but the same now. also, its nicer than a whole new wooden flute because you dont have to get used to a new headjoint.

i know other makers will retrofit keys as well, so maybe someone else can tell you more about how they go about it.

i myself plan on getting a Jon C. and then a Copley, but i have to wait until after my concertina comes this spring.
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

BillG wrote:Burns' flutes are great but only recently adding slides, according to his web site.

Not to upset anyone, I have a Casey Burns Boxwood keyless and I love it. But I thnk you're looking for something else here.

BillG
Hi Bill,

A careful reading of my website will indicate that the "recent" tuning slides discussed are for my low flutes in Bb and A - I've been doing the ones for flutes in D for about 23 years. Thought I better clarify this here.

Casey
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I have to put in a vote for Casey Burns. I just got myself a used Boxwood Pratten and it is amazing. I would also put in a positive vote for Phil Bleazey (let it go Gary).
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I've owned two of Casey's flutes (a folk flute and a blackwood standard with slide and rings). Both were very well made, easy to play, and sounded great. However, I've only played flute for about a year, and haven't tried any other wooden flutes (except for one by glenn schultz which I found really hard to play).

-Brett
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Danner wrote: e. Keys would be nice, but I know they won't fit in my present budget. So, I'd like to try to get something that I can retrofit in a few years.
dow wrote:Jon C.'s flutes (here on the board, do a search).
He doesn’t do keys yet.
Probably because keys are an abomination.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
BillG

Post by BillG »

Casey - sorry about the fast and misread of your site. I did misread it after going back again since your post.

To add: I play a Casey Burns Boxwood keyless, no slide; a Copley Blackwood keyless with slide; a Jon C Mopane keyless Pratten with partial slide; and a Healy Blackwood keyless with partial slide.

My leaning has been toward slideless of late but its only a personal preference.

And so, Danner, any of the ones you've listed that I've listed above I can personally attest to that you will be pleased. If only you could try each one first and make a decision. Many of us on this list have gone through any number of flutes looking for the "perfect" one. As it turns out after a few years, they are all the "perfect" one - its we, the player, who has to learn to play it.

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

BillG wrote: As it turns out after a few years, they are all the "perfect" one - its we, the player, who has to learn to play it.

BillG
And a big fat "AMEN, Brother!" to that!

Mary
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

1. Burns Ergonomic Standard in Mopane
2. Unkeyed Copley in Blackwood
3. Ward- probably unkeyed blackwood
4. McGee (dunno which model I'd get)
5.Healy 3-piece probably
6. Noy's basic Grenadilla model
If you'd prefer a Rudall, Burns offers a Rudall-style flute. Copley flutes are sort of a hybrid, but essentially a Pratten-ish instrument. The Ward is a Hawkes-based instrument, McGee offers a couple Rudall styles, Healy is heavily Pratten influenced, and Noy offers Rudalls. So that may weed the list a bit, if you're especially interested in a Rudall-style flute.
Henke

Post by Henke »

I would like to add Jon C and Murray to that list. If you're not up to date, Jon C is a fairly new maker, and those tend to be underrated, but Jon's work is really beautiful and his flutes are great. I think he's in the process of developing keys so you could probably have them retrofitted later, better talk to him about that. I haven't heard one negative review on his flutes and you'll certainly not hear one from me.
Murray flutes are very respected. He's been making good flutes for ages and many pro's play them. I heard rumours of bad customer service before, but from what I've heard lately, it seems to be sorted out.
Tom O'Farrell

Post by Tom O'Farrell »

One fellow I know, a member of this list so I won't mention his name, bought three flutes all within months of each other and then sold off the two he did not want to keep. The three were a Murray, a Marcus Hernon, and an Olwell. He kept the Olwell. This is not as crazy as it sounds because he got his money back on the two he sold, I think, or at least he didn't lose much. But I guess he spent about $3500 to start with. You couldn't get much of an old clunker of a car for that, putting things into perspective. And he got at least $2000 back, probably a bit more.
The thing about wood flutes by known makers is that they hold their value, maybe even increase in value a bit. Why leave your money in a bank for 2% or whatever the going interest rate is.
It is not the same with metal Boehm system flutes, they go down, not a lot but down nevertheless, fairly steadily, all except for the famous antiques type (Louis Lot etc.) which are also pretty good investments.
Tom O'Farrell.
www.tomofarrell.ca
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

If I remember Danner is a couple years younger than I (and I am 17). So I doubt he wants to buy multiple Flutes.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Tom O'Farrell wrote:One fellow I know, a member of this list so I won't mention his name, bought three flutes all within months of each other and then sold off the two he did not want to keep. The three were a Murray, a Marcus Hernon, and an Olwell. He kept the Olwell. This is not as crazy as it sounds because he got his money back on the two he sold, I think, or at least he didn't lose much. But I guess he spent about $3500 to start with. You couldn't get much of an old clunker of a car for that, putting things into perspective. And he got at least $2000 back, probably a bit more.
The thing about wood flutes by known makers is that they hold their value, maybe even increase in value a bit. Why leave your money in a bank for 2% or whatever the going interest rate is.
It is not the same with metal Boehm system flutes, they go down, not a lot but down nevertheless, fairly steadily, all except for the famous antiques type (Louis Lot etc.) which are also pretty good investments.
The argument against this being that it may lengthen the waiting lists for those of us who order flutes from the same makers.

The counterargument runs that those same flutes are now available w/o wait.

The counter-counterargument runs that the new-used flutes would not have the same level of customization one would expect ordering directly from a maker.

I am NOT saying the above practice is good or bad, but that some things need to be considered.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.