why is the whistle forum way more cool than the flute forum

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

michael_coleman wrote:
Wanderer wrote:Fact of the matter is, a flute is a noble instrument, all respectable like. People who play the flute play in orchestras, symphonies, and quartets.

The whistle..that's more of a rough-and-tumble dangerous instrument. And we all know the dangerous guys get all the girls.

;)
God I need a hat like that, thats what would get me all the girls.
Nah..it's the tights. Trust me.
canpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by canpiper »

Unseen122 wrote:You mean my practice Flute?
...no, I think he meant whistle. They're kind of like that fippleless whistle you have as your avatar, only they're not missing they're fipples. :P
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Flutes are great but whistles WONDERFUL! To my taste they sound much nicer than flutes.
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

bradhurley wrote: It's because the people on the flute forum have already been there and done that (a flute can wreak a lot more havoc and destruction than a puny little whistle) . . .
Puny little whistle, huh? Take that! (courtesy of dfernandez77)
Now THAT'S a MAN'S instrument!
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
Ann

Post by Ann »

That's it, I'm never trading in my whistles for a flute, whistles are just too cool.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Actually a keyed Bb flute could do some major damage. . . The hardware adds a bit of a "Cat o' Nine Tails" effect in addition to blunt trauma.

unfortunately nobody makes them in Delrin cause it's too heavy to play comfortably. Lack of priorities I suppose. .

A Bass Boehm though.. . . ouch!
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Could never get the right sound out of a whistle. Tried and failed. Own about three or four whistles (after buying my fifes). The fife is the instrument for me. Never was there an easier instrument to play. The flute is getting better these days, but the spread and the air is still a challenge.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Wormdiet wrote:Actually a keyed Bb flute could do some major damage. . . The hardware adds a bit of a "Cat o' Nine Tails" effect in addition to blunt trauma.
That Low A McGee you are getting will do some damage also.
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

If it's a weapon you want - try a low C Chieftain Gold! And unlike your dainty flutes, it will still work after you've wrought your damage.
Leel
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

That's an easy one:

flutes have something called an 'embouchure' :really:

Whistles have FIPPLES! :P

You figure it out.................
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

The whistle forum is way more cool than that other place because . . . well, because Joanie Madden and Tony Hinnigan have posted here and never there.

And my dad can beat up your dad. :P
Keith
Shawna

Post by Shawna »

mutepointe wrote:hey folks:

what say with mess with the flutist (i'm one too) and all get to together and post on their forum and tell them that we've found that we can hit the fourth octave if we inhale, rather than exhale, through the embrouchure? is anyone else game? does anyone else have a better joke to pull on them?

mutepointe
HAHAHAHA!!

Actually ... at one point I convinced myself that inhaling through the bottom of my tin whistle would produce the same sound as exhaling through the top D:. There was no outside influence at all, it was a product of sleep deprivation and too much history x____O. Anyway, at that late hour the physics of it seemed to make sense in my mind. I even imagined hearing a sound, HAHA.

I was only able to convince 3 other people to do it after XD.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Well, as we all know, the flute is a much more serious instrument...

:wink:
hannah

Post by hannah »

bradhurley wrote:Actually I did think of one reason why whistles could be considered cooler than flutes.

You can't do this with a flute (clicking on the link takes you to a very small QuickTime movie, 350 kilobytes)
COOL! I'm pretty new to the whistle (and also it's late here so I don't wanna try it now), how do you do that? :D
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

shadeclan wrote:Puny little whistle, huh? Take that!
...Now THAT'S a MAN'S instrument!
Then again, there's always the Serpent MolyBrass in Alto F.

1.5 feet of hardened Chome Molybdenum, Now that's dangerous!

My dentist was smoothing the ragged edge on my tooth last week and asked me, "So how did you chip your tooth?"

Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.