why is the whistle forum way more cool than the flute forum

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Blackbeer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blackbeer »

I remember way back when, way back, who am I trying to kid, 3 or so years ago when I found this place and started to play the whistle I would every once in a while read some posts over in the flute forum. Man oh man, total intimidation. First of all I had no idea what they were talking about and why would anyone want to play a stupid flute anyway, and why are they so serious and does anybody ever crack a joke or what. Its still like that and I still wounder why anyone would want to play the flute and there realy is no fun to had over there :D

Take care

Tom
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

Now that's a little more like it. Good man yourself Tom!
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Fact of the matter is, a flute is a noble instrument, all respectable like. People who play the flute play in orchestras, symphonies, and quartets.

The whistle..that's more of a rough-and-tumble dangerous instrument. And we all know the dangerous guys get all the girls.

;)
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Thats it, I`m switchin back to whistle
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

hey folks:

what say with mess with the flutist (i'm one too) and all get to together and post on their forum and tell them that we've found that we can hit the fourth octave if we inhale, rather than exhale, through the embrouchure? is anyone else game? does anyone else have a better joke to pull on them?

mutepointe
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Not unless you want to copy a picture from some website of some antique flute and tell them you found it in your basement and ask them what it is.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i knew someone would have a much better sounding story than i could ever come up with. thank you thank you. any other ideas folks? does anyone have the web address of a picture of the holy grail of flutes?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Actually I did think of one reason why whistles could be considered cooler than flutes.

You can't do this with a flute (clicking on the link takes you to a very small QuickTime movie, 350 kilobytes)
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

mutepointe wrote:hey folks:

what say with mess with the flutist (i'm one too) and all get to together and post on their forum and tell them that we've found that we can hit the fourth octave if we inhale, rather than exhale, through the embrouchure? is anyone else game? does anyone else have a better joke to pull on them?

mutepointe

"Sigh" We lose more newbies this way......

Loren
Feadin

Post by Feadin »

bradhurley wrote:Actually I did think of one reason why whistles could be considered cooler than flutes.

You can't do this with a flute (clicking on the link takes you to a very small QuickTime movie, 350 kilobytes)
Men it's 10:30pm here and now I *NEED* to try that!! Grrrrr and now I have to wait until tomorrow :boggle:

How about playing a reel that way? Maybe something like.... The Mason's Apron? :)
Cristian Feldman
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

mutepointe wrote:hey folks:

mutepointe
If you can produce a controllable belch you can get down to C# and C on a flute without keys! How cool is that?

Whistles have one purpose and one purpose only - as practice devices for long road trips. OK - maybe two purposes - they annoy tiny dogs, which deserve it.

Bring it on, pansies! I'm armed with Delrin!!

\M/ :x \M/
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Wanderer wrote:Fact of the matter is, a flute is a noble instrument, all respectable like. People who play the flute play in orchestras, symphonies, and quartets.

The whistle..that's more of a rough-and-tumble dangerous instrument. And we all know the dangerous guys get all the girls.

;)
God I need a hat like that, thats what would get me all the girls.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Arrr .. there be a lot of goat in a whistle,

I bet all the fluties have got their secret whistle tucked away somewheres :lol:
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

You mean my practice Flute?
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Mitch wrote:Arrr .. there be a lot of goat in a whistle,

I bet all the fluties have got their secret whistle tucked away somewheres :lol:
A man's secret whistle is his own affair. Some pun intended.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.