why is the whistle forum way more cool than the flute forum

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

why is the whistle forum way more cool than the flute forum

Post by mutepointe »

hey folks: i'm pretty new to whistle and flute playing and don't even see any other whistlers and flutist, ever. but here's my question, why is the flute forum all about technique and songs and how many tunes you know and the whistle forum is all about how much destruction and havoc you have achieved with your whistle? is there something with itm culture that i don't know. and to top it all off, most of you post to both forums. i'm only posting this on the whistle forum, i wouldn't want a flutist to faint. thanks. mutepointe
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

It's because the people on the flute forum have already been there and done that (a flute can wreak a lot more havoc and destruction than a puny little whistle), and we had those discussions long ago. We're on to more exciting topics, like how to write a negative review of a flute without offending anyone or saying anything of consequence.
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

Back in the day, before the Great Schism of aught 4... or was it aught 5
(see here http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=25442), there was
no Pub Forum. The Whistle Forum contained all the whistle posts as
well as many off-topic posts. The Flute Forum was created for folks
who wanted to discuss Flutes without a lot of newbie whistlers
muddying up the waters... There were much fewer off-topic posts in
that august venue, and I think the difference in attitude continues to
this day. Plus, if you're going to drop several grand on a wooden Irish
flute, you're probably pretty darn serious about ITM.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'm just speculating, but there are a couple of things that I think contribute to the difference. The first is that the flute takes a lot more investment to learn -- both technique and money. So I think those of us posting to the flute forum are really looking for information and support and those of us who have gotten information and support continue on there to give it.

The second isn't going out on a limb at all. Till several months ago, the whistle forum was the repository for off-topic posts. So it evolved to have a lot of humor, which it still has.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

...yes, yes. But isn't there also the point that whistles are so much better than flutes, and that people like them more?
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

canpiper wrote:...yes, yes. But isn't there also the point that whistles are so much better than flutes, and that people like them more?
You are just a failed Fluter.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Until I started on flute, I thought that the whistle was the ultimate instrument.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I did too. I thought flutes were boring. But I was
playing on the street and I needed to be heard.
I was told that flute is louder than whistle,
so I learned flute. And I was lost in love
forever...
Denny

Post by Denny »

:D seems to be a lot of fluters here on this whistle thread... :lol:
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

Unseen122 wrote:
canpiper wrote:...yes, yes. But isn't there also the point that whistles are so much better than flutes, and that people like them more?
You are just a failed Fluter.
:lol:
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Hey, I started on whistle. I play whistle better than flute. I still enjoy playing the whistle regularly.

But I have more fun playing the flute - more of a challenge, but also a much wider range of sound.
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

Congratulations wrote:Until I started on flute, I thought that the whistle was the ultimate instrument.
And it turns out you were right! I guess you shouldn't have started on the flute. :wink:
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

DCrom wrote:Hey, I started on whistle. I play whistle better than flute. I still enjoy playing the whistle regularly.

But I have more fun playing the flute - more of a challenge, but also a much wider range of sound.
Okay people, we're losing cohesion here. This is the whistle forum, not the boring flute forum. Now if you want to talk about pipes...we would still be losing cohesion, but at least we would be talking about instruments which are also better, and which people also like more than the flute. :)
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

In the interest of keeping "cohesion," I'll agree that whistles are cool. When I practice whistle, my wife says, "Nice, Dear." On the other hand, when I practice flute, my wife says, "Honey, I just love it when you play for me."

Clear enough? :D :D
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

dow wrote:In the interest of keeping "cohesion," I'll agree that whistles are cool. When I practice whistle, my wife says, "Nice, Dear." On the other hand, when I practice flute, my wife says, "Honey, I just love it when you play for me."

Clear enough? :D :D
You clearly need more practice on your whistle. However, the effort to maintain cohesion is admirable. :)