Should JES sell his Kintail GHBs or not?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

Should I sell them there pipes?

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes: 39

AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I'd hang onto them. Since your pic from the '80s synthetic reeds and bags have made huge strides. Get some good synthetic drone reeds and get an easy reed going in the chanter and you should get a good sounding GHB (no oxymoron comments from you lot) without so much effort.

Kintail drones from that era are actually quite good. One of the makers from that shop, Jim Booth, went on his own and is an underrated maker of great pipes. Since the '90s the Kintail name has gathered some dust.
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ausdag »

What's wrong with Kintails and what would be a good brand of GHB?

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Leech

Post by Leech »

I play a R.G. Hardie GHB. I think it sounds pretty darn good. I recently switched to synthetic drone reeds and boy what a difference! I don't think I'll be using cane drones any time soon.
-E-
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

Don't do it...hang on to them...have some Jameson until the feeling that you want to sell them goes away. :)
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

snoogie wrote:Don't do it...hang on to them...have some Jameson until the feeling that you want to sell them goes away. :)

Jameson... aaggaaggaaggaaggaagg... Image
John S

Post by John S »

Switching to synthetic Drone reeds is only for those prepared to sacrifice tone for less effort and understanding.
If you make your own Drone reeds as (any one can do) from readily available free raw material you can acquire the skills to set up a set of pipes with amazing tone and stability easily.
Natural reeds are much more adjustable than synthetics and the tone of synthetics is a pore second best.

PP
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

You never know when you'll have to gather the clan after the US economy tanks. :)
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

David: The pipes coming out lately under the name "Kintail" have been prone to problems in workmanship. As far as good GHB brands, the current top makers are Naill and McCallum with several others taking up the slack such as Kron, Strathmore, Dunbar, Gibson, and MacLellan to name only a few. Like many uilleann pipers, GHB players are apt to have a different brand of chanter from drones. This is often the case with folks who own vintage pipes like Henderson, Glen, MacDougall and Lawrie but want the modern chanter sound of a Naill, McCallum, etc.

John: Cane does sound better but no matter the quality, they do need regular playing for stable sound. If somebody is considering selling pipes because they aren't played regularly, then cane reeds may not be the best solution. Otherwise they don't keep the balance of moisture that is a significant factor in the sound and stability of cane reeds in mouthblown pipes. Many of the composite reeds on the market today offer comparable tone with little to no issues.

Joseph: Perhaps in this case a nice single malt is in order. For a Speyside you can't beat Macallan but if you go for Islays I suggest Ardbeg.

Cheers,
Aaron
Joseph E. Smith

AaronMalcomb wrote:
Joseph: Perhaps in this case a nice single malt is in order. For a Speyside you can't beat Macallan but if you go for Islays I suggest Ardbeg.

Cheers,
Aaron
Ardbeg is nifty, but I am quite fond of this:

Doogie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doogie »

AaronMalcomb wrote:David: The pipes coming out lately under the name "Kintail" have been prone to problems in workmanship. As far as good GHB brands, the current top makers are Naill and McCallum with several others taking up the slack such as Kron, Strathmore, Dunbar, Gibson, and MacLellan to name only a few. Like many uilleann pipers, GHB players are apt to have a different brand of chanter from drones. This is often the case with folks who own vintage pipes like Henderson, Glen, MacDougall and Lawrie but want the modern chanter sound of a Naill, McCallum, etc.

John: Cane does sound better but no matter the quality, they do need regular playing for stable sound. If somebody is considering selling pipes because they aren't played regularly, then cane reeds may not be the best solution. Otherwise they don't keep the balance of moisture that is a significant factor in the sound and stability of cane reeds in mouthblown pipes. Many of the composite reeds on the market today offer comparable tone with little to no issues.

Cheers,
Aaron
Dont forget about Shepherds...

I know the older Kintails were much nicer as far as quality as the newer one's, Joseph is a stand up guy I'm sure he can comment on his set.. Hell he's had them for how many years I bet they rock...
glands

Post by glands »

Hey Joseph. You'll have to have a sip of that peaty stuff with my wife. It is the proclaimed fave of boxplayers far and wide. She hasn't tried it to date. Perhaps we ought to get all the boxplayers to drink about as much as they could stand....then collect the boxes for "experimentation!" Ha!
Joseph E. Smith

glands wrote:Hey Joseph. You'll have to have a sip of that peaty stuff with my wife. It is the proclaimed fave of boxplayers far and wide. She hasn't tried it to date. Perhaps we ought to get all the boxplayers to drink about as much as they could stand....then collect the boxes for "experimentation!" Ha!
Hmmmmmm.... Good morning Mr. Glands, your mission, should you choose to accept it.... :D
Edward

Post by Edward »

How do you guys split your time between the different instruments? Ideally, I would spend my music time 30% big pipes, 40% uilleann pipes, and 30% whistles. Lately, it's been 70% big pipes (competition upcoming), 0% uilleann pipes (!), and 30% whistles. If you find that you really don't want to play a particular instrument, you probably should sell it. I would expect those Dunedin kids to be on the look-out for quality, used sets.

Ed
giggleswicksam

Post by giggleswicksam »

Lagavulin . . . mmmm nice.
Also Highland Park -

Maybe should have a poll to decide

Laphroaig - best single malt or foul and disgusting medicine?

Never sell instruments unless they're crap*, you never get as much for them as you have to pay to get them back, that's my experience! But then there's the "somebody should be playing these" argument. Toss a coin - that always helps me decide these things . . :)

*unless you make them . . .
Joseph E. Smith

Edward wrote:How do you guys split your time between the different instruments?
I don't any more. And because of that, there's a set of good GHBs collecting dust in their case, pining for the day they'll be played again. :lol: Since moving to Florida, I've only played one gig with them... to open a golf tournament where I used to work. That was four years ago.