Piping at the supermarket.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Cayden

Piping at the supermarket.

Post by Cayden »

It's not so unusual to come across piping in the supermarket. Meade's in Miltown Malbay aside, which probably has the best background music out of supermarkets anywhere, you'd get your mock atmospheric wailing piping muzak in the background often enough. Finding it on sale is less regular and finding genuine traditional material, outside Clare, well, let's say you don't see it a lot.

Finding <a href="http://www.tesco.com/entertainment/brow ... 9">this</a> just now baffled me. What the feck is that about?

Tesco's by the way is the UK's largest supermarket chain.
Last edited by Cayden on Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
giles b
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by giles b »

Congratulations!!!

You made the big time now!!! right up there with the cat food and frozen goods. You'll be getting asked for autographs whenever you hit the big smoke now. I was going to buy your cd from your website but now I think I might just wait and buy it from the woolworths down the road next time I need to get some other supermarket type produce. Surely if tesco has it woolies will have it soon too.

bizzarre
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I'm not certain whether to congratulate you and Kitty, or to sit down and ponder the silent freeway. :lol:

FWIW, I hope sales do well. :wink:
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Its possible that the local manager put in to carry your CD. My question is, did they discount you, or is that full price?

Still, it is a neat thing to see, isn't it?
Tyg
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

It's actually the Tesco UK site that is carrying the CD. I have had no part in this, I assume they get their copies from Claddagh. Retail price is roughly same as through our own website only we add the appropriate postage (two euro to Europe and UK, three to US and rest of the world). Not sure I'd call it 'neat', I am gobsmacked for the moment and am trying to figure out what they could have been thinking.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Peter Laban wrote:I am gobsmacked for the moment and am trying to figure out what they could have been thinking.

... whatever they may have been thinking, I think it is a good thing they offer it... as you earlier noted, everything else is muzak or as I like to put it, elevator music. Finally, something genuine. Finally, something authentic and real. Finally, something good.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Peter- Tesco is coming to the states. Next thing will be a SPAR on each corner :D
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Welcome to Tesco.com. We hope that you enjoy your visit. Sign in / Register

Brits Awards 2006
You are in:
CD Kitty Hayes And Peter Laban (1 item)
.........................................................................................................
Peter Its the banner at the top of the page ye should be worried about(see above) Ye are both in the Britt Awards :boggle: :boggle: :boggle:
Slán Go Foill :wink: :wink:
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Uilliam wrote:Peter Its the banner at the top of the page ye should be worried about(see above) Ye are both in the Britt Awards
Does anyone know how the Brit awards are organised? Is it voted by the public or by some sort of committee? If it's the former, then we should start a movement to get everyone to vote for Peter & Kitty!!!
PJ
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Hey, they've got a whole Irish Folk category of course, click and your list of names starts with Gearoid O'Hallmhurain (Patrick Ourceau not credited) and Tony MacMahon. Pretty hip for a supermarket but you're on the money about Claddagh shopping them around. The miracle of distribution!
I bought the Spillane/Glackin in a Borders (chain of bookstores), that's about as commercial a venue I've bought anything Celticish in. You do get Chieftains or Joanie Madden in places like Fred Meyer's (supermarket).
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, they have this list under the CD you guys made:

More popular choices
Top selling DVDs

Simpsons S7
Kinky Boots
Red Eye
Kingdom of Heaven
4 Brothers

So, er..., I guess you and Ms. Hayes are up (or down) there with Kinky Boots, whoever that is. :lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
sean an piobaire

Post by sean an piobaire »

My fellow pipers........MUSZAK is a copyrighted name, so be sure you don't use it too often, or frivolously. I think the closeness of this mispelled word "MUSAK" to MUSIC was one of the great advertising "coups" of the 1960s, in elevators, and everywhere else. I have heard it used perjoratively among musicians, for many years. It has found a home among the people who love anything "Retro" and (Ha-Ha) what could be MORE retro than BBBBBAAAAAGGGGGpipes? Whatever their origin.
As to money making, where's the residuals for your performance Peter?
Remember ! It all has to be out front, before the distribution deal is signed, there's no RETRO-active RE-hash of the terms.....
I'd like to note that in terms of steady income, the people who wire up a music system in a store, etc., the kari-oke system sellers, and the wedding reception DJs, make more in a year on average, than most musicians, including the bagpipers. The "middle-persons" MAKE it with some over-head, to be sure, but think of the time it took to learn to squeeze the bags properly.
Sour grapes....you betcha ! My reaction though, is to go out and buy another bagpipe,
some people are SO RETRO !!! Sean Multi-Piper Folsom