opinions on dreadlocks in your country

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Dreadlocks: way cool.
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

dubhlinn wrote:If it's O.K. for the other Bob, then it's fine by me :wink:

Slan,
D.
When I show my daughter your post you'll be her hero for life. :wink:

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

It is very common in South Florida to see people wearing dreadlocks. There are many Carribbean island people living here who do it culturally and not as a fad or fashion. Typically, they came from places that have no running water and have not modified their lifestyles to suit American living. They are not offended by extreme body odor.
This is not to say that collectively everyone who wears 'dreads' has a stench, but it's really difficult to spot the difference between someone who slept on a bed of cardboard under a bridge and someone who runs a successful import/export company and drives a BMW!
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

<redneck mode on>

Hell, around these parts you might just get yer ass kicked.

</redneck mode off>

I personally don't care how people have their hair as long as it's clean.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Flyingcursor wrote:<redneck mode on>

Hell, around these parts you might just get yer ass kicked.

</redneck mode off>

I personally don't care how people have their hair as long as it's clean.
I don't even care about that, as long as it's not hair I'm thinking of running my caressing fingertips through. And even then... :wink:

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
flanum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

Heres me about 15 yrs ago with my nappy tresses (dreads).

Ive had tons of different hair styles since and before that.. mohawk, psychobilly quiffs, completely shaved, hare krishna tail etc.

Its not whats on the head, its whats in it that counts!
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

Well apart from this chap...
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Corded poodles is nice too.

This is the original and natural form of poodle hair. The brushed out and fluffed look is a more recent grooming innovation.
Reasonable person
Walden
rh

Post by rh »

Tony wrote:It is very common in South Florida to see people wearing dreadlocks.
Here in south Broward county there are a lot of Jamaicans; there are three jerk joints within a couple blocks of my house. Seems like a lot of them are contractors; the whole crew that rewired my house were Jamaican. When i go to the Home Depot there are so many dreads that it looks like i could be at a Steel Pulse concert if it wasn't for all the power tools. :lol:
there is no end to the walking
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Walden wrote:Corded poodles is nice too.

This is the original and natural form of poodle hair. The brushed out and fluffed look is a more recent grooming innovation.
There's nothing particularly natural about cords on poodles. It's a much harder look to maintain, actually, than the continental clip which is the standard show clip. Poodles have almost always been kept in some variation of the continental clip (sometimes called the "lion clip" in other breeds).

Redwolf the poodle nerd
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

There are breeds that have naturally corded hair, but poodles ain't one of them.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
missy

Post by missy »

Komondor:

saw a couple of these in the "Mystical Krewe of Barkus" in the Quarter one year - they had little Rastafarian (sp?) tams on......
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

TelegramSam wrote:There are breeds that have naturally corded hair, but poodles ain't one of them.
It depends on the coat, actually. Some strains were bred to have softer hair that cords rather easily (my dog came from such a strain, but we never kept him in cords...they're a pain, and they often smell bad, to boot!), and cords are a valid show ring "look," but most will just matt badly, and take constant maintenance to keep the cords looking decent. Much easier just to brush the dog a couple of times a week!

Cords aren't at all good for working poodles. Unlike the usual corded breeds (such as pulik and komondorok), poodles are water retrievers. Cords are great for keeping a wolf from ripping out your throat, but they take AGES to dry, and tend to weigh a dog down badly in water.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
chas

Post by chas »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:I like 'em, but they've got to be a pain to comb through. :D

Seriously, The way a person wants to wear their hair doesn't bother me in the least, actually, I like seeing the effects some hair styles have on the features of their wearers.... that, and I am a tad envious too. :D

JES, are those nanodreads? VERY cool.

I remember the first time I saw a white guy (European-American) with dreads, about 20-25 years ago. I thought it was kind of an abomination -- I didn't think it was possible. But now it seems perfectly normal to me. I had my hair braided a couple of times in college, going for the faux-dread look. Unfortunately, my hair is so fine, people thought I was going for a Bo Derek look. :oops: :lol:
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Dreds are delightful! I recommend them!

<<<<< check avatar <<<<<<