opinions on dreadlocks in your country

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Gabriel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

opinions on dreadlocks in your country

Post by Gabriel »

Hey folks,

this is the only international forum I take part in, so I'm sorry to bother you with my question...

How are dreadlocks accepted in your country? What do people think about them? What do you - as a folk musician - think about them?

I know that not everyone likes them, and some of you won't like them as well, so please keep polite and fair.

Thanks! :)
- Gabriel

PS: Just in case you don't know what dreadlocks are: click here. And note that dreadlocks can vary widely - some people only have three blobs on their head, others more than 150 streaks.
TelegramSam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TelegramSam »

I think they're nifty myself. :D

Well, unless somebody has really blond hair, which looks kind of odd to me. But I figure if wearing your hair a certain way makes you happy, go for it. I mean, it's just hair after all.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Jack

Post by Jack »

I have a friend who is a natural blonde, and she has long dreadlocks.

I've read a lot about dreadlocks. I personally don't think they're too healthy-looking, but they don't really hurt anything.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

They're relatively common around here. I don't have an opinion about them one way or another. I don't like the way they look, myself (I prefer cornrows, to be honest) but it's not my hair.

There are probably more conservative areas of the country, though, where they wouldn't go over as well. Santa Cruz is very liberal...it's quite common to see hair in all kinds of crazy colors, in dreads, in rows, spiked up in a mohawk, shaved clean off and replaced by tattoos...you name it. When we lived in NC, people stared at me for wearing my hair in a buzz cut (I'm a woman, and that's just not done much in the South). So it really kind of depends on where you are in the U.S.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

It seems as though it is an accepted hair style. I would mostly be around people who have been in a lot of other places and they wouldn't really comment on anyone's appearance. There probably are people who find them strange and would make comments, but I don't seem to come those people. I guess I'd say they have been seen in this country long enough and are common enough that they don't seem to really be noticed particularly. On the other hand, I don't know anyone who has that hairstyle so it is more common among people I don't seem to run into very often. Not sure what to make of that. But I hack off my own hair with a scissors as best I can so I don't really feel I can make fashion judgements about other people's hair :lol: . I'm not a muscian, so from that angle I can't comment.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Jack

Post by Jack »

I like corn rows too.
missy

Post by missy »

I, too, have no problems at all with them, but -
and this is just my opinion -
on someone who is very fair, and who has evidently straight hair, they tend to "look" like dirty, ratted hair, and not real pleasant. On someone who has curly hair, and who keeps them out of their face, they look fine.

My husband's hair is at least 6 inches longer then mine. But he always wears it back in a pony tail.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

A person in my neighboring county was arrested on suspicion of marihuana possession for wearing dreadlocks, as the police insisted dressing like a Rastafarian was credible reason.
Reasonable person
Walden
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I like 'em, but they've got to be a pain to comb through. :D

Seriously, The way a person wants to wear their hair doesn't bother me in the least, actually, I like seeing the effects some hair styles have on the features of their wearers.... that, and I am a tad envious too. :D

Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I think dreads are pretty nifty, but they seem a lot of work and maintenance to me.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

It's what's about 3/4 of an inch below the dreadlocks, or mullet, or perm, or Mohican, or bald head, that matters. Those things called brain cells.

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
missy

Post by missy »

SteveShaw wrote:It's what's about 3/4 of an inch below the dreadlocks, or mullet, or perm, or Mohican, or bald head, that matters. Those things called brain cells.

Steve
Now, I'm sorry Steve, but MULLETS are just plain WRONG!!!!! :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Well, OK missy - I ain't too keen meself as it happens, but...you know what I mean! :)

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
emmline

Post by emmline »

I like them if they're neat, or at least as neat as dreads can be, which means semi-uniform dreaded sections. Many different sizes and shapes looks too unkempt.

To address the general question of acceptance in the U.S., I'd say society here accepts a wide variety of personal styles in its artists and musicians, but don't apply for a corporate job looking like that.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

If it's O.K. for the other Bob, then it's fine by me :wink:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats