Is whistling making you fat, too?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Zoe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Is whistling making you fat, too?

Post by Zoe »

Just a silly note as spring approaches and visions of the beach and bathing suits are looming. Now would be the time to devote myself to more exercise after a lethargic winter. But I, like most of us, have a family, a social life, a job, and have very little spare time. I'm lucky if I get an hour a day for myself. After a year and a half, I still love the whistle enough that it takes precedence over exercise. So I have resolved that this summer I will have more cellulite to show, but I will be playing a damn fine "pipe on the hob"!

However, it's probably the case that cardiovascular exercise would improve one's whistling, as your lungs would have greater capacity and strength. Have any of you found that exercise improves your playing?

Zoe
BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

I'm not sure if that's how it works at all. If you've ever seen that picture of NancyF and myself together, you will notice that I'm over twice her size, but she can still play circles around me. :D

That having been said, I think aerobic exercise does improve my lung capacity, and thereby my whistling ability, but it doesn't do diddly-squat to my weight. :-?
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I can't believe you didn't realize that the answer is right in front of your face.

Put on a leotard of your favorite color, grab your whistle, and skip up and down your street as you play your whistle.

Problem solved. :)

Hope that helps.

Jason
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Do you have photos Jason? Or streaming video we can see?

I don't know that I would try it without a proper demonstration.

:lol:
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Anything that builds stamina, coordination, or endurance will help in playing the whistle (or just about any other instrument).

That said, whistle really does take very little air. My problem on whistle is usually what to do with the excess rather than trying to sneak a place to breathe.

Flute takes more air and consequently more thinking ahead in the tune.

--James
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Actually, quite the opposite. I am playing Whistle (or Flute) instead of sitting in front of the TV and eating.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

It's true that eating definitely diminishes the quality of my whistle playing, at least when done simultaneously. :lol:

And since I've taken up flute, I notice that it's really hard to get a good lungful if I've just ingested a hearty meal. So I'd say that at least my music keeps me from copious overeating or continuous snacking.

But yes, I do exercise too. It would be a tough choice to give up my music time for exercise, or my exercise time for music. Maybe you can just jog to the sessions?

Jennie
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: Is whistling making you fat, too?

Post by anniemcu »

Zoe wrote:Just a silly note as spring approaches and visions of the beach and bathing suits are looming. Now would be the time to devote myself to more exercise after a lethargic winter. But I, like most of us, have a family, a social life, a job, and have very little spare time. I'm lucky if I get an hour a day for myself. After a year and a half, I still love the whistle enough that it takes precedence over exercise. So I have resolved that this summer I will have more cellulite to show, but I will be playing a damn fine "pipe on the hob"!

However, it's probably the case that cardiovascular exercise would improve one's whistling, as your lungs would have greater capacity and strength. Have any of you found that exercise improves your playing?

Zoe
Or you can do like I did , find a neighbor who loves the whistle too, join each other for early AM Yoga and TaiChi and do some whistling too.
:)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

My favorite solution to this (which I don't get a chance to do very often) is to go on a long hike to some nice (secluded) location and then play my whistle/flute for a period of time before hiking back.

-Brett
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Bretton wrote:My favorite solution to this (which I don't get a chance to do very often) is to go on a long hike to some nice (secluded) location and then play my whistle/flute for a period of time before hiking back.

-Brett
This is my favorite too. And I'm lucky enough that the hike can be short, since I already have the nice secluded location at my doorstep. I just have to wait for the weather to warm up! :)

Jennie
Jetpiper

Post by Jetpiper »

I used to play the flute for the song service at my church. This was the first time I played the flute in any other setting than just practicing at home. At first, it was quite a struggle to keep from passing out, and to keep on playing! However, after keeping at it, I soon had no problem playing through the entire service without much effort. So, I guess the best way to build stamina for any instrument, is to play that instrument in a setting that demands more from you than you are accustomed to.

I will also concur with the statement that trying to play after consuming vast quantities of anything is problematic at best. :lol:
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

I agree totally with you jetpiper
one never knows what what is able to be achieved until such time as we are pushed to challenge our limits, our limits are set by our desire.
I constantly remind my kids
the is no such thing as I cannot.
there is only i can if i try harder.
its all a matter of determination
regards
David
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

no. i find it dang near impossible to eat while playing. that's one of the reasons i picked up the whistle and some other wind instruments.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
River Otter

Post by River Otter »

I only play low-cal and fat-free tinwhistles. Gotta watch my figure.
River Otter
Fortitudine Vincit