So sad

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Steve-o
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

So sad

Post by Steve-o »

So for a while now, my main travel whistle has been a jerry-tweaked sweetone. I play shows most weekends, when I use a whistle it is that one. For such a low price, it is a great whistle for what I needed. Now the bad news...last time i was putting it in it's case, i must have shup hte case on the end of the whistle, because its somewhat crimped now. It doesn't effect the tone all that much, but it still makes me sad.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Oh dear. There was a thread once about people who actually broke their whistles when they got mad. I just could not imagine doing violence to any musical instrument. They just seem like special things. I'm sorry for the accident to your whistle. I suppose if it still sounds okay then you can think of it as a scar from a battle that your whistle fought in valiantly and won. It was an accident, so you can just learn from it and let it go. I think your whistle forgives you.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I have extra Sweetone tubes. PM me your mailing address, and I'll send you one.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Jerry is the winner of the 2006 Fipplie award for general sweetness.
:party:
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Bumble

Post by Bumble »

I confess I have broken two whistles but neither on purpose.
Walton's LBW's are SO fragile!
I crimped the end more times than I can count by mistake and accidentally folded it in my pocket three different times.
With great care and effort (on a 5 dollar whistle) I was able to repair all these things every time, but the third "fold" split the whistle into two irreconsilable pieces. VERY upsetting end to my first whistle...bought on vacation in Ireland.

If those spare tubes from Jerry don't work, I was able to fix crimps with a small diameter pen or wooden spoon handle. It has to be small enough to just slip inside the tube. If it's bigger, the end of the the whistle ends up looking like a horn...or a blunderbuss. For crimps further up the tube, I found a pair of tapered chopsticks that were just the right size to corkscrew in and return roundness to the flattened tube. Enjoy your instrument.

Cheers,
Walter
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Bumble wrote:I confess I have broken two whistles but neither on purpose.
Walton's LBW's are SO fragile!
I crimped the end more times than I can count by mistake and accidentally folded it in my pocket three different times.
With great care and effort (on a 5 dollar whistle) I was able to repair all these things every time, but the third "fold" split the whistle into two irreconsilable pieces. VERY upsetting end to my first whistle...bought on vacation in Ireland.

If those spare tubes from Jerry don't work, I was able to fix crimps with a small diameter pen or wooden spoon handle. It has to be small enough to just slip inside the tube. If it's bigger, the end of the the whistle ends up looking like a horn...or a blunderbuss. For crimps further up the tube, I found a pair of tapered chopsticks that were just the right size to corkscrew in and return roundness to the flattened tube. Enjoy your instrument.

Cheers,
Walter
As much as I like the LBW and it's now tragically discontinued counterpart, the mighty Goldentone C, they really are TOO fragile. It's a problem.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

DaleWisely wrote: As much as I like the LBW and it's now tragically discontinued counterpart, the mighty Goldentone C, they really are TOO fragile. It's a problem.
But since they are aluminum, when they get all bent out of shape, you can stick them in the dirt to hold up your pothos without fear of rusting.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
scheky

Post by scheky »

Sweetones in general are a bit weak in strength. My two year old son has managed to destroy three of them, but the Oak he plays with is indestructable.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

If it doesn't affect the playing, it isn't a defect. Consider it a war wound and be proud! Scratches, mended cracks, dings and the like are signs of a well loved instrument.

A friend has a low D Shaw with some major war wounds that he says have made it sound even better.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Tyghress wrote:If it doesn't affect the playing, it isn't a defect. Consider it a war wound and be proud! Scratches, mended cracks, dings and the like are signs of a well loved instrument.

A friend has a low D Shaw with some major war wounds that he says have made it sound even better.
Hmmm... "well loved".... hmm... or, in my case, middle of the late night jam distraction... my high G Gen has that 'well loved' look... but it really is a story I can't even remember, let alone relate. :o

Of course, I suppose there's always the not altogether impossible prospect that someone took extreme exception to my playing it and unprofessionally 'tweeked' it ...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

I suppose using a whistle in a bar fight is out of the question? :D
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

shadeclan wrote:I suppose using a whistle in a bar fight is out of the question? :D
Oh... Well, I wouldn't say so. And I have the perfect suggestion:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=31011

:D
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

dfernandez77 wrote:
shadeclan wrote:I suppose using a whistle in a bar fight is out of the question? :D
Oh... Well, I wouldn't say so. And I have the perfect suggestion:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=31011
:D
YEAH, BABY - THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!

You will have to add to the review after you've actually used it, if you know what I mean! :lol:
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler