I have seen the future of Irish music and its name is Oisre

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Montana
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Montana »

At first impression without listening to the clips and just seeing the website, my first thought was "Irish Nickel Creek"...
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Wombat wrote:I think, at one extreme, you have people playing slick, lively well-rehearsed music which is fluent and technically very proficient while at the other extreme you have playing where the focus is on a kind of depth and the playing might be, but needn't be, rougher. It would sound more spontaneous. Well played, I think both styles are lively and appealing. I don't think that the slick suff comes only from America.

I prefer profundity but I enjoy both. I think this distinction applies not just in ITM but in every art and roots music. Unlike some, I actually think that the music is richer for having both approaches. I do think it's a shame when the slick ones get all the attention though.
I certainly agree with you. A point I was trying to make and possibly didn't do very well is that there is a seething hotbed of music in Ireland of young people playing absolutely brilliantly in many different styles who are often not very wellknown outside their own locality. My remark that Dale should get out more is in that context: there is such an abundance of creativity and skill there's no real reason to single these guys out as the future of Irish music, skilled and well playing as they may be (and I have no quibbles with that), they are only a tiny part of it.
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Peter Laban wrote:
Wombat wrote:I think, at one extreme, you have people playing slick, lively well-rehearsed music which is fluent and technically very proficient while at the other extreme you have playing where the focus is on a kind of depth and the playing might be, but needn't be, rougher. It would sound more spontaneous. Well played, I think both styles are lively and appealing. I don't think that the slick suff comes only from America.

I prefer profundity but I enjoy both. I think this distinction applies not just in ITM but in every art and roots music. Unlike some, I actually think that the music is richer for having both approaches. I do think it's a shame when the slick ones get all the attention though.
I certainly agree with you. A point I was trying to make and possibly didn't do very well is that there is a seething hotbed of music in Ireland of young people playing absolutely brilliantly in many different styles who are often not very wellknown outside their own locality. My remark that Dale should get out more is in that context: there is such an abundance of creativity and skill there's no real reason to single these guys out as the future of Irish music, skilled and well playing as they may be (and I have no quibbles with that), they are only a tiny part of it.
Yeah, I thought we were agreeing, just emphasising slightly different things perhaps. I think young people, well everybody still playing energetically at whatever age, will collectively take the music in a number of different directions and the music will be all the stronger for it. Not all will be of lasting value and not all will be of equal importance but a lot of different things are happening and will continue to happen.

Maybe I misread, but I didn't get the feeling that Dale thought that these guys were showing the way for everybody. I just thought he was expressing enthusiasm. I can see how someone might read it the other way though.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Wombat wrote:Maybe I misread, but I didn't get the feeling that Dale thought that these guys were showing the way for everybody. I just thought he was expressing enthusiasm.
ditto
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

The journey of music is not a secret roadmap. Rather it turns your map from dull black and white into color, It turns your walk into dance, it shows some turns as inviting that others might not take, it enjoys the mountains, the lakes, the secluded rill and the teeming bazaar.

One thing these children have done is to affirm their path as professionals. A road that consorts with traders and bean counters, saints, seducers and sharks. I wish them well, and look forward to seeing when their true identity breaks free from the well-trod, when the training wheels come off and they stop letting others plot their path.

It's certainly not everyone's future, but a future well worth watching.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I apologize. Let me say a bit more.

Last night I went to see these three young people, accompanied by the not-so-young Mike Dugger on guitar. It was a fun show. Charlene and Julian are a couple of promising fiddlers. I heard Zac play a few years ago with Glen Road when he was 19 and he's grown a great deal since. A very talented guy. Nice guy, too.

I'm always inspired to hear young musicians that are dedicated to this kind of music. (Or any of the non-popular kinds, really.) Given what they would have to go through to make a decent living at it, I'd not be surprised to learn that they've moved on to something else in a few years, but I figure they've got a crack at it.

My original comment was (a) an expression of my enthusiasm about the promise of these very young musicians and (b) a re-working of one of the most famous lines in music criticism: "I have seen the future of rock and roll and its name is Bruce Springsteen."

There you go.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:lol:

Well summed up.. :wink:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

My question is this:

How the hell does one pronounce "Oisre" :-?

Taking a stab at it, I'd guess "Esh-ruh" [schwa] but that's probably waaay off the mark.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
rh

Post by rh »

it's great to get excited about new (or even not-new-but-new-to-you) bands. even better to give them a comfortable and safe place to lay their weary heads while on tour. good on you, Dale.
there is no end to the walking
River Otter

Post by River Otter »

I'll be seeing them play tonight! :party:
River Otter
Fortitudine Vincit
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Wormdiet wrote:My question is this:

Taking a stab at it, I'd guess "Esh-ruh" [schwa] but that's probably waaay off the mark.
They need another name, I submit; also an agent. I'm available.

This is why I changed my own name to 'Jim Stone' from
'Hymie Finkleboo.' I wanted to play right field for the
Yankees and I knew 'It's a high fly to right field, folks...
Hymie Finkleboo is going back, back....' wasn't going to help
my prospects.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

jim stone wrote:

They need another name, I submit

You gotta point there on the name.
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

It says in their press kit: Oisre (OH - sh - ruh) n., 1. Irish; an oyster.