Shannon Heaton in Los Angeles area Feb. 3

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Shannon Heaton in Los Angeles area Feb. 3

Post by Jon C. »

kkrell wrote:Friday Feb. 3 8pm ($15) at the
Coffee Gallery
2029 N. Lake
Altadena, Ca. 91001
Reservations/Information: (626) 398-7917
MATT & SHANNON HEATON...The husband and wife duo of Matt and Shannon Heaton bring gutsy melodies, crafty lyrics and traditional Irish-style tunes to the stage. The Boston-based pair have been praised by Dirty Linen magazine as "Irish music with a wonderfully rich and earthy sound ... and an infectious spirit and vitality that translates into bright, uplifting music that will make you smile." When performing as a pair they integrate harmony singing with traditional and original instrumentals on Irish flute, guitar and vocals. Even if you don't normally listen to Celtic music, Matt and Shannon offer a show so fresh, so quirky, so invigorating, and brimming with so much personality, you'll wish you had heard them sooner! It's music that satisfies both die-hard Celtic enthusiasts and fans of great songwriting alike.
Kevin Krell

ps. Shannon will have a track on volume 3 of "Wooden Flute Obsession"
Got my reservations, see you there! You going to come Micheal? How about Eilam and his dance troupe? We can have a C&F section... :party:
Cheers,
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Jon C. wrote:
Coffee Gallery
2029 N. Lake
Altadena, Ca. 91001
MATT & SHANNON HEATON...The husband and wife duo of Matt and Shannon Heaton bring gutsy melodies, crafty lyrics and traditional Irish-style tunes to the stage. The Boston-based pair have been praised by Dirty Linen magazine as "Irish music with a wonderfully rich and earthy sound ... and an infectious spirit and vitality that translates into bright, uplifting music that will make you smile." When performing as a pair they integrate harmony singing with traditional and original instrumentals on Irish flute, guitar and vocals. Even if you don't normally listen to Celtic music, Matt and Shannon offer a show so fresh, so quirky, so invigorating, and brimming with so much personality, you'll wish you had heard them sooner! It's music that satisfies both die-hard Celtic enthusiasts and fans of great songwriting alike.
Kevin Krell

Got my reservations, see you there! You going to come Micheal? How about Eilam and his dance troupe? We can have a C&F section... :party:
Cheers,
Just made my reservation and coming with the Mrs. See you there, Jon et all.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

michael_coleman wrote:
Jon C. wrote:
Coffee Gallery
2029 N. Lake
Altadena, Ca. 91001
Kevin Krell

Cheers,
Just made my reservation and coming with the Mrs. See you there, Jon et all.
See you there! :party:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Anyone else in L.A. need to get in? I have a space.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

kkrell wrote:Anyone else in L.A. need to get in? I have a space.

Kevin Krell
I'll email Todd, see if he is going.
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Great concert! She is good!
I had brought the HY Potter to show my fellow C&fers, she was walking up to go back on stage after the break, I showed her the flute in passing, she just took it up there and played the first tune with it, without missing a beat! Very BRAVE GIRL! That is the sign of a good player that can take a old flute with a 10.5mm round emb. hole and blast away! Very impressive playing. Probably first time in a 100 years that it has been played like that!
Cheers,
Michael Flatley

Jon
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

sorry we missed it, had some music going on here, and for some reason i thought we were a week or two away from the concert.
sounds like it was great !!
was Tod there? did he have his new flute?
eilam.
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

eilam wrote:sorry we missed it, had some music going on here, and for some reason i thought we were a week or two away from the concert.
sounds like it was great !!
was Tod there? did he have his new flute?
eilam.
Hi Eilam,
Tod came, but left his new flute at home.
Michael Flatley

Jon
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Yes, it was a wonderful concert. Got to meet some new faces etc. She seems to play with such ease, kind of a foil to Seamus Egan's playing, didn't seem aggressive...very easy to listen to. Nice tunes, great songs and some good stage banter. The coffee kept me up into the wee hours of the morning and it ws nice playing Jon's Harry Potter (errrr... Henry Potter that is), reminded my of a Rod Cameron, nice player.
toddyboy50

Post by toddyboy50 »

Twas a very nice concert you missed, Eilam.... it was in the backroom of a coffeshop that probably held no more than about 50 people, so it was a very intimate setting and there were no bad seats :) At the end of the performance, Shannon did a dueling flutes with another excellent fluter in the audience that was great, got very intense, and then she pretty much asked any other players to come up and play, but I think at that point all the Chiffers there felt it was a tough act to follow - leaving my flute at home was a good excuse for me :lol:
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

toddyboy50 wrote:Twas a very nice concert you missed, Eilam.... it was in the backroom of a coffeshop that probably held no more than about 50 people, so it was a very intimate setting and there were no bad seats :) At the end of the performance, Shannon did a dueling flutes with another excellent fluter in the audience that was great, got very intense, and then she pretty much asked any other players to come up and play, but I think at that point all the Chiffers there felt it was a tough act to follow - leaving my flute at home was a good excuse for me :lol:
Yes, glad I was able to plead incompetence to accompanying her on "March to Crystal Lake." Nic Buckmelter, however, belonged up there. I think they decided on 2 tunes in common at the break, but played 4-5 in all. His track for WFO3 can be sampled at http://www.worldtrad.org/MP3/WFO3/Nicol ... melter.mp3 .

Kevin Krell
eilam

Post by eilam »

yes - nick is amazing player. they (ciunas) play here at Dargans in Ventura on Sundays (today !!), and are all great musicians.
did nick play his keyed Olwell?
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

eilam wrote:yes - nick is amazing player. they (ciunas) play here at Dargans in Ventura on Sundays (today !!), and are all great musicians.
did nick play his keyed Olwell?
Yes, both played their Olwells. Nick is still looking, though.

Kevin Krell
eilam

Post by eilam »

"Yes, both played their Olwells. Nick is still looking, though"

he has three of my old flutes, they all have different characters, but i think he is looking into the R&R complexity of tone?
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

eilam wrote:"Yes, both played their Olwells. Nick is still looking, though"

he has three of my old flutes, they all have different characters, but i think he is looking into the R&R complexity of tone?
It's all about tone (and probably 8 keys, not 6). Too bad Andrew's flutes aren't over here for him to try.

Kevin Krell