- .-. .- --. . -.. -.--

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

- .-. .- --. . -.. -.--

Post by Congratulations »

oh Lana Turner we love you get up
djm

Post by djm »

I'm afraid my Brail isn't up to snuff.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Yes, I read about that today. How could they possible compete with cells phones and the internet.

Thank you, I will enjoy myself if I don't have to rack my brain trying to decipher morse code again.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Yes, I read about that today. How could they possible compete with cells phones and the internet.

Thank you, I will enjoy myself if I don't have to rack my brain trying to decipher morse code again.
I prefer to cheat.

Or for fun,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_code
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Jack

Post by Jack »

djm wrote:I'm afraid my Brail isn't up to snuff.

djm
Braille (with an "le"!!!!) is not the same as Morse Code. I have no idea what Brail is, though.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

A related story:

Era Ends: Western Union Stops Sending Telegrams
After 145 years, Western Union has quietly stopped sending telegrams.

On the company's web site, if you click on "Telegrams" in the left-side navigation bar, you're taken to a page that ends a technological era with about as little fanfare as possible:

"Effective January 27, 2006, Western Union will discontinue all Telegram and Commercial Messaging services. We regret any inconvenience this may cause you, and we thank you for your loyal patronage. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact a customer service representative."

The decline of telegram use goes back at least to the 1980s, when long-distance telephone service became cheap enough to offer a viable alternative in many if not most cases. Faxes didn't help. Email could be counted as the final nail in the coffin.

Western Union has not failed. It long ago refocused its main business to make money transfers for consumers and businesses. Revenues are now $3 billion annually. It's now called Western Union Financial Services, Inc. and is a subsidiary of First Data Corp.

The world's first telegram was sent on May 24, 1844 by inventor Samuel Morse. The message, "What hath God wrought," was transmitted from Washington to Baltimore. In a crude way, the telegraph was a precursor to the Internet in that it allowed rapid communication, for the first time, across great distances.

Western Union goes back to 1851 as the Mississippi Valley Printing Telegraph Company. In 1856 it became the Western Union Telegraph Company after acquisition of competing telegraph systems. By 1861, during the Civil War, it had created a coast-to-coast network of lines.

Copyright © 2006 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Congratulations

Mark, that's the first link in the OP! :P
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

DAH, I didn't think to click on it as a link...duh! :o :boggle: I just read it somewhat straight as it was.

Mark
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Interesting. I'm surprised, in hindsight, that the telegram service was around as long as it was; still, it's kinda sad, in a small way (not least, that I'm old enough to have actually received one, once :wink:). ...So the telegram will join the typewriter in the technology boneyard... and kids born today will have to ask their granddads what the heck a "telegram" was.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I remember getting a telegram, about six months after we got to the Philippines. My mother says "Oh no, I hope my Grandpa's okay." She went into tears when she read it. Then she went back to Oklahoma for a while.
Reasonable person
Walden
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Walden wrote:I remember getting a telegram, about six months after we got to the Philippines. My mother says "Oh no, I hope my Grandpa's okay." She went into tears when she read it. Then she went back to Oklahoma for a while.
That's a sad story...
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

-.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -.-. .-- / . .... ..--.. -.-- --- ..- / .... .- ...- . / ..-. -.-. -.-. / .-.. .. -.-. . -. ... . ..--.. -.- . --... --. . ..- / .... . .-. . --... ...--
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

... . -. -.. .. -. --. / -.-. --- -.. . / .-- .. - .... / .- /
-.- . -.-- -... --- .- .-. -.. /... . . -- ... / ...- . .-. -.-- /
... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / -...- -...- / --... ...-- /
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

--- -. / -.- . -.-- -... --- .- .-. -.. / .. ... / .- .-.. .-.. / .--. . .-. .. --- -.. ... / .- -. -.. / .... -.-- .--. .... . -. ... .-.-.- .. ... / .-.. .. -.- . / ..- ... .. -. --. / .--. .- -.. -.. .-.. . ... / .. -. / ... . -- .. / .- ..- - --- / -- --- -.. .

:P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Congratulations

.. / .- -- / ... --- / --. .-.. .- -.. / .. / ..-. --- ..- -. -.. / - .... .. ... / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - --- .-. .-.-.- / .-.. . ... ... / .-- --- .-. -.- .-.-.-