Kevin Crawford sat in

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
clark
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Kevin Crawford sat in

Post by clark »

Lunasa is in town and played a wonderful concert on Saturday ... very impressive and awesome! Played a lot of stuff from their new CD, Sé. They are one of my favorite groups and Kevin Crawford is one of my flute heroes so I expected to like what I heard. Of course there were the ripping reels and rollicking jigs; but what I enjoy most about them is the eligant grace they bring to many of their arrangements.

But the real thrill for me was Sunday night. Our band Celtic Waves was playing at a pub in Waikiki tonight and Kevin came in not only to hear us, but to sit in with us. He played about half the gig with us. It was very cool (and intimidating) to have the person who's flute playing I've admired for so long sitting right there next to me playing circles around us all! Personally a very class guy as well.

Thanks, Kevin ... Now I've got to go practice.

Clark
Jennie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jennie »

What a ride that must have been! I can imagine being all fumble-fingered when there's someone you greatly admire playing right there next to you. But I can also imagine soaring on that energy!

Lucky you. :)

Jennie
Henke

Post by Henke »

Wow, that is too cool. I can almost imagine what you must have felt like.
I guess you won't forget that experience for a lifetime :wink:
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

That is really cool, I saw them a couple nights before they headed off to Hawaii I belive it was the 20th. It was a great show, but your experience is awesomer than mine.
clark
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

Yes, I had a case of fumble fingers as soon as he walked into the pub. My playing was crappier than it's been for a long while. Oddly, though, when he came over and started putting his Grinter together the energy made all of us kick it up a notch or two or three. During the hour and a half or so that he played with us I was amazed at the variations and wonderful stuff that was burbling out of his flute.

As a kid I played whistle with my Uillean piper grandfather and learned a few tunes and about the music; but I have taken up the flute only the last 4 years or so. Here in Hawaii I'm the only trad flute player that I know of - so I'm completely self taught on the flute. I learned more about flute playing in one hour of sitting next to Kevin than I'd learned in the previous year on my own! I sure do wish there was more of an Irish music presence in my locale.

Clark
packie

Post by packie »

I've found Kevin to be a truly kind and generous musician. Your happy tale just adds to that impression!
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I have seen Lunasa about 4 times, always a first rate group. To bad there is n't any concerts planned in "the Trad Desert" of LA... :sniffle:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Jon C. wrote:I have seen Lunasa about 4 times, always a first rate group. To bad there is n't any concerts planned in "the Trad Desert" of LA... :sniffle:
You can still catch some flute this Friday in Altadena. Maybe you can go over the wall.

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?p=471784#471784

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

kkrell wrote:
Jon C. wrote:I have seen Lunasa about 4 times, always a first rate group. To bad there is n't any concerts planned in "the Trad Desert" of LA... :sniffle:
You can still catch some flute this Friday in Altadena. Maybe you can go over the wall.

Kevin Krell
I'm working on it... :devil:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Jon C. wrote:
kkrell wrote:

Kevin Krell

I'm thinking about showing up...haven't seen you in a while Jon...last summer? Maybe you can have Lynn help you over the wall...is he still playing whistle?
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

michael_coleman wrote:
Jon C. wrote:
kkrell wrote: You can still catch some flute this Friday in Altadena. Maybe you can go over the wall.

Kevin Krell

I'm thinking about showing up...haven't seen you in a while Jon...last summer? Maybe you can have Lynn help you over the wall...is he still playing whistle?
Will the Misses let you go? :lol: Lynn is gone for the weekend, he stills toots away on the whistle. Maybe I will see you there.
Michael Flatley

Jon
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Hey Clark,

My friends Damien and Sarah live in Hawaii now... Is it you? 'cause he plays the flute too. She plays fiddle. I figure you must have seen them, they're so much fun too!
clark

Post by clark »

No I haven't met them - and would love to. Not only do we have a shortage of flute players in Hawaii, we have a shortage of fiddlers too. If you could have them get in touch with me I would let them know about sessions and the like on a regular basis. You could PM me with their contact info and/or they could go to our web-site (www.celticwaves.net) and there is contact information there.

We are always scrounging around for fiddlers. The fiddler in our band is in four others besides ours (bluegrass, old-timey, Irish rock, and cajun) and there are often conflicts. That's what you have to do to cobble together a living playing folk music.

Clark
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Darn how big can Hawaii be? Hehe I will let them know. I spent a few days with them in Ireland in november and they told me how much fun they had in Hawaii surfing and all. They said the irish music wasnt that great there, but they might be really glad to know that there's a band out there!