Bypass surgery question

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Bypass surgery question

Post by Flyingcursor »

I found out yesterday that my Mother-In-Law is going to have bypass surgery. According to her, she was told she has three blocked coronary arteries with blockages of 80%, 60% and 40%.

She's carrying on claiming that since she has no symptoms or problems, (i.e. no chest pain), that she's not sure it's necessary. I disagree. I claim that she's a MI waiting to happen and that her shortness of breath isn't just asthma.

Anyone here have experience with this kind of thing? Also, what criteria to cardiologists use to determine if they have to do surgery as opposed to using the little balloon to clear a blockage?
Is it true that women experience less overt symptoms of heart problems than men?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
emmline

Re: Bypass surgery question

Post by emmline »

Flyingcursor wrote: Is it true that women experience less overt symptoms of heart problems than men?
This part, I believe is true. Whether or not she "needs" the surgery is controversial. It is a drastic measure, but tends to be the default choice in today's society, mainly because the would-be patients will not or cannot make the equally drastic lifestyle/diet changes which could possibly reverse, or slow the problem.
Does she need it? I obviously don't know, but it would seem very foolish to ignore the advice of her doctor without seeking some other qualified medical opinions, including some which may offer alternatives to surgery. (But would have to be taken seriously.)
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I believe emm is right about women having fewer symptoms as men. If I understand the statistics correctly, women have far fewer cardiovascular problems than men, though I know that's changing.
I betcha amar would know the answers to your questions for sure.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
emmline

Post by emmline »

Tyler Morris wrote:I believe emm is right about women having fewer symptoms as men. If I understand the statistics correctly, women have far fewer cardiovascular problems than men, though I know that's changing.
I think the key word is overt. Which sometimes leads to MI's in women, with more permanent damage being done because they were able to poo-poo their symptoms.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

emmline wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:I believe emm is right about women having fewer symptoms as men. If I understand the statistics correctly, women have far fewer cardiovascular problems than men, though I know that's changing.
I think the key word is overt. Which sometimes leads to MI's in women, with more permanent damage being done because they were able to poo-poo their symptoms.
well, it just goes to show you how much I know about it...
and that's what you get for taking my word for it! :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Tim Hall
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tim Hall »

My Dad (years ago) went in for a checkup after shortness of breath walking up the road and was told he had a blockage. No chest pain. He had the bypass surgery, and it made a world of difference. No, it's no fun, but you'll be amazed how quickly the docs have people up and about again afterwards. I'd be scared to death myself as well, but better deal with it now, IMHO.

Tim
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Flyingcursor wrote:Is it true that women experience less overt symptoms of heart problems than men?
I don’t know about fewer, but they definitely have different symptoms. I think that while men have chest pain, women are more likely to have back pains. I would read up on specific symptoms rather than relying on my foggy memory.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I think that I would get a second opinion before having bypass surgery. The operation is now routine, but it is also a major money-maker for the surgeons and hospitals, whereas, alternative methods of treatment are not. As well, bypass surgery is a major operation with significant risks. For example, a middle-aged neighbor lady recently had what they thought would be routine bypass surgery. However, during the surgery something went wrong and she went into coma. I am not sure how long she was in a coma, but the neighbors took me that the family had decided to pull the plug on the machines that were keeping her alive. Fortunately for her, she came out of the coma that day, and, as far as I know, is now improving. It was a close call.

From what I have read, in the USA women have fewer cardio-vascular problems than men. Women also experience fewer and different kinds of symptoms from men, so often their disease goes undetected prior to having major problems, such as a heart attack.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

A Gender Difference In Heart Disease
Variant in Women Called Hard to Detect

From today' Washington Post:

By Rob Stein
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, February 1, 2006; Page A08

Many women suffer from a form of heart disease that is fundamentally different from the type that strikes most men and is easily missed by standard tests, researchers reported yesterday.

Instead of developing obvious blockages in the arteries supplying blood to the heart, these women accumulate plaque more evenly inside the major arteries and in smaller blood vessels, the researchers found. In other cases, their arteries fail to expand properly or go into spasm, often at times of physical or emotional stress. (much more to the article)

Your Mother in law is lucky to have had a wakeup call, and she'll do great after the surgery. If she did nothing, she'd be a time bomb waiting to go off.
Over the last 28 years, I've had hundreds of patients go through this procedure. There's no denying it's about as major as surgery can get, but the techniques are so well honed by now that nearly everyone comes through it with flying colors. Your MIL is apparently in very good health otherwise, which is also in her favor. Go for it!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Well there are some good replies.

Of course part of the whole process is to develop a post-op preventative regimen.
She doesn't smoke or drink and exercises frequently already.

It appears due to the nature of the clog, drug thereapy might help keep it from getting worse but wouldn't solve the problem. There's too much blockage for the balloon and stent combo.

Thanks for your information. BTW, this Friday is Womans heart health day. How appropriate.
burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by burnsbyrne »

Flyingcursor wrote:I found out yesterday that my Mother-In-Law is going to have bypass surgery. According to her, she was told she has three blocked coronary arteries with blockages of 80%, 60% and 40%.
How severe the situation is depends a lot on which arteries have which blockages and how far down the arterial tree they are. (Alert: Medical Language Warning) For example, a blockage of 80% is much more dangerous if it is in the proximal LAD artery as opposed to an 80% blockage of a marginal off the distal LAD. As was mentioned above, many women, maybe most, do not experience the crushing chest pain radiating down the left arm that most people recognize as heart attack symptoms. I would suggest that you contact the cardiologist who did the cardiac cath and have him/her explain the situation.
Mike
Flyingcursor

Post by Flyingcursor »

burnsbyrne wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:I found out yesterday that my Mother-In-Law is going to have bypass surgery. According to her, she was told she has three blocked coronary arteries with blockages of 80%, 60% and 40%.
How severe the situation is depends a lot on which arteries have which blockages and how far down the arterial tree they are. (Alert: Medical Language Warning) For example, a blockage of 80% is much more dangerous if it is in the proximal LAD artery as opposed to an 80% blockage of a marginal off the distal LAD. As was mentioned above, many women, maybe most, do not experience the crushing chest pain radiating down the left arm that most people recognize as heart attack symptoms. I would suggest that you contact the cardiologist who did the cardiac cath and have him/her explain the situation.
Mike
Thanks. I plan on doing just that. Unfortunately I wasn't able to see the doc the other day when she had the cath.