Flute advice please

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Adrian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Flute advice please

Post by Adrian »

I want to buy a keyless, non-wooden, Irish flute that I can travel with and not have to worry too much about the usual wooden instrument care. Any recomendations? The main consideration is sound quality.

Thanks
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

Definately M&E R&R. Cheap, great customer service, instant availability, huge sound, easy to play. I've played one for years and I think it's on par with the best flutes around.
But aren't you in the wrong forum? You could have just done a search on the flute board.

Cheers
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Ooops!
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

The M&E is an excellent flute, as is the Seery. The difference is that the Seery is closer to a classic Pratten-style flute, while the M&E is based on a Rudall & Rose. Which you prefer is really just a matter of taste.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
doogieman

Post by doogieman »

I love my Delrin Seery. I swab it out after each time I play and every so often give it a bath in mild warm soap and water.
2 Blessed 2B Stressed
springrobin
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

I have a Cochran Delrin (made by Jon C.) that I keep in my car. I'm there a lot these days so it gets more play than any other instrument and I'm constantly amazed at the sound quality. Can it really be synthetic?
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I have an M&E (but it will be leaving in a few days) and I would recommend one, the only downside is that is feels and sounds like plastic.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Unseen122 wrote:I have an M&E (but it will be leaving in a few days) and I would recommend one, the only downside is that is feels and sounds like plastic.
I disagree, and very strongly! I think the M&E sounds as much like a wooden flute as any-it has a fully lined headjoint (with metal) so it probably sounds more like a lined head wooden flute than a partially or unlined head. But the tonal quality is there-it also depends on how you play it, and your embouchure.

The amount of tonal difference between a wooden flute and a polymer is negligible, depending on how well it is made, and how well it is played, in my opinion.

Sure, some wooden flutes are more responsive-just as some polymer flutes are more responsive than some wooden flutes. M&E's and Seerys need make no apologies for not being wooden. I haven't played a Cochran in Delrin as yet, but I bet they are on the same level in tonal qualities also.

Feel? Sure, wooden flutes feel more organic, but depending on the finish on a polymer flute, it can feel differently too, maybe just not wooden! Doug Tipple's flutes have a sensual feel to them-and that's a highly hand polished PVC finish-you can't get any smoother than that, which would be hard to equal on a wooden flute.

Visually is where I think wooden flutes excel over polymers. There's no denying the look of a nice grained wooden flute, which are found in various colors. If you close your eyes and listen, there's not enough difference to worry about-but that has to be judged on an idividual basis, from flute to flute, and ear to ear. If the flute speaks to you, it doesn't matter what it's made from.
~~~~
Barry
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

greenspiderweb wrote:
Unseen122 wrote:I have an M&E (but it will be leaving in a few days) and I would recommend one, the only downside is that is feels and sounds like plastic.
I disagree, and very strongly! I think the M&E sounds as much like a wooden flute as any-it has a fully lined headjoint (with metal) so it probably sounds more like a lined head wooden flute than a partially or unlined head. But the tonal quality is there-it also depends on how you play it, and your embouchure.
No problem with that. I don't play Lined heads that is probably why. I admit it, I am a wood snob. I just think the plastic has more edge, that is my opinion.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

I have a 3 pc Dixon polymer that has a decent tone, plus almost no care requirements. I like the sound and playability of my wooden Burns Folk Flute more, but the Dixon is nice IMO.

Judy
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Re: Flute advice please

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

Adrian wrote:I want to buy a keyless, non-wooden, Irish flute that I can travel with and not have to worry too much about the usual wooden instrument care. Any recomendations? The main consideration is sound quality.

Thanks
As somebody who has a Seery, I can say that I wouldn't risk travel with it it there was a risk that it would 'get lost' or damaged.

I also have a couple of Tipple flutes, and take these traveling.
(2 piece low D offset holes - 3 piece low D in line holes - 3 piece low Bflat)
They sound great, especially with the wedge.
If you lose or damage the Tipple(s) then it's no great loss fincially,
and believe me, they take something major to damage them.
So far one of mine has survived a fall from a roof top (don't ask!),
a tumble down a cliff in a rucksack,
being sat on by a passenger in the back seat of my car,
being used to persuade an unruly teenager to see my point of view!
And it still plays well.

HTH
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Thanks for all the input. Where would I get M&E or Seery flutes from. I DID try to search for a supplier but obviously lack a few grey cells.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Adrian wrote:Thanks for all the input. Where would I get M&E or Seery flutes from. I DID try to search for a supplier but obviously lack a few grey cells.
Seery: http://www.seerywoodwind.com/

M&E: http://homepage.tinet.ie/~mandeflutes/

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Henke

Post by Henke »

Whoaaat!?
I read your reply, I just had to. :wink:
I disagree very strongly with this as well. M&E, to me, sounds just as wooden as any wooden flute I've played, at least wooden with lined head. I've never played an unlined polymer M&E so I can't comment on how they'd sound without the metal in there. I also disagree that it feels plastic. Of course, it is essentially plastic so it's bound to feel a little bit like plastic. It doesn't feel particularly wooden, but that's something I've never thought about. It feels sturdy and heavier than a wooden flute.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Thanks! That's all I need. :)