How long have you been playing your chanter reed for?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

My first reed (Thompson) lasted from 1996 to 2001 but died very quickly after I emigrated to Canada. The next reed (Joe Kennedy) lasted from 2001 to 2005 but died very quickly after I messed with it once too often. Since April 2005 I use a reed that Nick Whitmer made. I alternate this with a reed JES made. I also had a nice reed that upiper1971 made but once again, I fear that my eager mind and clumsey fingers sent that one to an early grave.
PJ
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

tom kennedy made my reed in 1991. its been in the chanter since 1994. i'm very lucky.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
giles b
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by giles b »

The reed in my Fischer narrow bore concert pitch came with the chanter in 1995 and is still going great, as are all other reeds in the set though I have made replacements for all except chanter. Have not been able to make as good a reed as the original.

The reed in the Woof B chanter from 2001 is still going great as are all others.

The secret? If you've got a good reed dont mess with it.
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

The reed Im playing has started to get weak and feeble. and sounds as though it's all blown out. it was a wonderful reed. :cry:
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

benwalker wrote:The reed Im playing has started to get weak and feeble. and sounds as though it's all blown out. it was a wonderful reed. :cry:
I feel your pain man, I feel your pain. I think you need a good stiff drink.... :D
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

Ben,

There was a thread a while back which contained a few tips on bringing a flagging reed back to life, it may help.

The trick seems to be about putting some curvature back into the cane, particularly near the edges.

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... juvenation

All the best

David
Jim
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Jim »

Year and a half on my own reed in my Lynch chanter. It's been pretty consistant across seasons.
Jim
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

How long have you been playing your chanter reed for?

Post by Hans-Joerg »

I´ve heard rumors that Liam O`Flynn for recordings still plays a reed that Leo Rowsome made. Can somebody prove this?
Cheers,
Hans
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

I have heard this too but I've also heard that Martin Kerrigan in Kilkenny makes reeds for this set too.
Maybe Martin just made regulator reeds for him.
Tommy
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Pat Sky wrote about Liam O's reed, here or in the Piper's Review, it was made by Leo in 1968, Liam has a bit of thread under the bridle to keep it up - Pat says he occasionally cleans out the insides for Liam, get rid of all the scrunge. Big honkin' reed they say.
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Afficionados beware...this post is pure conjecture and opinion as I've met neither the piper nor the pipes, but........

If you listen to recordings in the past few years [Planxty Live or some of the stuff on radio/internet radio] you'll notice that O'Flynn's concert pitch set doesn't have a good hard bottom D....older recordings by him have a better bottom D.
From my listening, I have taken it that he is still using the old reed in the D chanter, and that reed has changed gradually to get to the place where it is now.
I've heard on the grapevine that it is a relatively easy and responsive reed, which is why he still likes to use it.

[I have found that a reed that will stand the test of time usually needs to be "blown in" and will be a little bit hard for a few weeks or months before it settles into a decent place]

B
:oops:
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Perhaps the climate was messing with it.
Doogie

Post by Doogie »

I had a reed that had a similar problem that I have been playing going on a year now... I took the reed apart and put the blades on a piece of pvc pipe 2" and wrapped them completely until you could'nt see the head's of the blades anymore.. Left them like that for quite a while and it put the curvature back into the blades, and now the reed is like new....

Worked for me...
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Doogie wrote:I had a reed that had a similar problem that I have been playing going on a year now... I took the reed apart and put the blades on a piece of pvc pipe 2" and wrapped them completely until you could'nt see the head's of the blades anymore.. Left them like that for quite a while and it put the curvature back into the blades, and now the reed is like new....

Worked for me...
I did something similar with a reed except that (1) the pvc pipe was 1 5/8" and (2) I soaked the slips in Neets foot oil before tying it on.
PJ
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

Big honkin' reed they say.
Yip! the head is 15mm wide and 84mm overall lenght!!
A spade.

Tommy