has anyone ever used their whistle for evil?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
inkygirl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by inkygirl »

This is a BRILLIANT subject header. And I love all the responses so far. :-D
Debbie Ridpath Ohi - Freelance writer, musician, illustrator
http://www.electricpenguin.com/ohi/
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

I have been known to play Reveille on my Alba Bb on sluggish school mornings when teenagers ignore their alarms.
Shawna

Post by Shawna »

River Otter wrote:In the summer it's fun to play out in the yard and watch the stupid neighborhood kids run out of their houses looking for the icecream truck. :twisted:
: O

No way! That was a hobby of mine in the summer. Haha. Except I play out of the window because I'm not brave enough to go into the backyard, which currently has no fence.

Edit: Hmm. And I don't know if this counts as "evil" ... but my friend and I have devised a system of cheating on multiple choice exams using the tin whistle. So it would only involve notes a, b, c, d, and perhaps e. And of course you would have to read each question at the same pace in order to know which answer the played note corresponds to. (Wow, now that I think of it, it would be a terribly slow song. We may have to revise this.) And it would only benefit people with perfect pitch ... which is very rare in our school :-?. Um, well ... if anything, the whistle works very well as a straight-edge!
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Loren wrote:
Hey, I nearly deafened a professional recorder player, with my evil......er, well, I guess I see what you mean, that was actually using a whistle for good then, wasn't it...... My Bad. :lol:

Loren
I thought whistles were meant for finding dates ;)
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Wanderer wrote:
Ahh so now the real evil is exposed!

Wanderer: "Hi there young lady, are you enjoying the fair?"

Lady: "Yes, how did you make that beautiful music you were playing"

Wanderer: "I have something about 12 inches long i'd like to show you."

Lady: "My god! it's full of holes!"

Wanderer: "I have something even larger ..."

(editor's note: The soundbyte is even more interesting - specially when wanderer unzips his whistle bag.
)
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
markbell

Post by markbell »

At times, when I am leading the band, I have been known to menace singers and/or guitar players with a Chieftain low D.

I have also perfected the sound of a bugling elk on same whistle. It's absolutely paralyzing when amplified.
sibilo ergo sum
morgan

Post by morgan »

Perhaps this post will be disqualified since it involves Uilleann pipes instead of whistles. (Please be assured that I am also an evil whistler.)

I discovered that, while playing pipes, if I go back and forth between first octave G and C# it sounds just like a European police siren.

So naturally I began chasing my children around the house, carrying my pipes and making horrid siren noises.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

The dreaded tritone!!! G - C# was outlawed by the musical rules of Pope Gregory (I think...) so it would certainly count as evil.

C# - G on alto sax, when slurred very smoothly, sounds like the North American 'Wailer' siren from our emergency vehicles. :devil:
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Mitch wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
Ahh so now the real evil is exposed!

Wanderer: "Hi there young lady, are you enjoying the fair?"

Lady: "Yes, how did you make that beautiful music you were playing"

Wanderer: "I have something about 12 inches long i'd like to show you."

Lady: "My god! it's full of holes!"

Wanderer: "I have something even larger ..."

(editor's note: The soundbyte is even more interesting - specially when wanderer unzips his whistle bag.
)
It actually goes something like this. Bear in mind that I speak in a scottish accent at festivals, because my irish accent sounds like a scotsman that's been kicked in the jimmies.

me: "Hi there young lady, are you enjoying the fair?"

Lady: "Yes, that sounds beautiful! What is that instrument called."

me (bear in mind in a scottish accent): "Well...*this* is an irish tinwhistle..." (pointing to high whistle) "*This* is a *scottish* whistle" (pointing to low whistle and waggling eyebrows)

;)
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

120hey folks: i was hoping that someone else would mention this but i'll share another most evil thing to do with a whistle. i travel alot for my job through some pretty countryside. i like to pull over and play a tune now and then to take some time for myself. i also recognize that a brass or bamboo whistle can look awful suspicious to a policeman. i've had policemen slow down but i haven't had one stop yet. now that's fun.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Wanderer wrote: It actually goes something like this. Bear in mind that I speak in a scottish accent at festivals, because my irish accent sounds like a scotsman that's been kicked in the jimmies.

me: "Hi there young lady, are you enjoying the fair?"

Lady: "Yes, that sounds beautiful! What is that instrument called."

me (bear in mind in a scottish accent): "Well...*this* is an irish tinwhistle..." (pointing to high whistle) "*This* is a *scottish* whistle" (pointing to low whistle and waggling eyebrows)

;)
And then the demo - a slow air redolent with vibrato ...

:evil:
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
River Otter

Post by River Otter »

mutepointe wrote:120hey folks: i was hoping that someone else would mention this but i'll share another most evil thing to do with a whistle. i travel alot for my job through some pretty countryside. i like to pull over and play a tune now and then to take some time for myself. i also recognize that a brass or bamboo whistle can look awful suspicious to a policeman. i've had policemen slow down but i haven't had one stop yet. now that's fun.
A friend of mine who plays trumpet likes to buzz his mouthpiece while driving to gigs to start the warm-up process. He uses a tube-like device which attaches to the mouthpiece to help the process. Once, he passed a car while buzzing and the people in the car called the police who sent an officer to stop him. The officer had to inspect the device to ensure that it wasn't drug paraphenalia, and much to the officer's chagrin, he sniffed it. Apparently my friend hadn't cleaned the thing in a good while and it was rather rank. It's not a whistle, but it's evil.
River Otter
Fortitudine Vincit
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I have a friend who has a Gen high F.

Like the Gen G mentioned earlier, I'm pretty sure that evil is its only use.

Jason