Buying Whistle's in stores and shops

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Son of Eric
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Buying Whistle's in stores and shops

Post by Son of Eric »

Good day to All,

I have been playing the tin whistle and browsing these boards for about six months, and came across an interesting situation, that I would like to solve.

Now that I play more I find myself noticing and picking up whistle's at various Type store's. Most times these whistles are open and laying about, so I never put them to my mouth, but if I decided to buy one of these whistle's what do you recommend for cleaning sake?

Further, how is the best way to identify the Key the whistle is in when it is not marked clearly on the whistle? :-?

Thank you,

Son of Eric
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

Everyone's become so fastidious! :lol:

Eric, coincidentally enough, we discussed this topic recently! See if you can find some helpful suggestions in this thread.

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ne&start=0
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

No one who sells whistles around here lets you try them. None of these are truly whistle shops, though.And the only real choices are Gens, Oaks, Acorns, and Clarks.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Silvano
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Buying Whistle's in stores and shops

Post by Silvano »

Son of Eric wrote: Now that I play more I find myself noticing and picking up whistle's at various Type store's. Most times these whistles are open and laying about, so I never put them to my mouth, but if I decided to buy one of these whistle's what do you recommend for cleaning sake?

Further, how is the best way to identify the Key the whistle is in when it is not marked clearly on the whistle? :-?

Thank you,

Son of Eric
For the first question: beside the answers you'll find in the link given by lambchop you can use a solution of 70% alcohol. It is far the best desinfecting agent. :)

For the second: Since you probably don't walk around with a measure :D ask the seller. If he/her can't tell you what they sell :oops: .... don't buy! :evil:

Silvano
--- A whistle a day keeps bad thoughts away ---