Mulcahy Family

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dlambert
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Mulcahy Family

Post by dlambert »

The Mulcahy family CD 'Notes From the Heart' is a MUST get. I just received my copy from Philippe at Celtic Grooves. This is one awesome pure drop recording. Louise Mulcahy plays flute and pipes. The tone and articulation she has is phenomenal. Can you tell I'm into this?

Anyway, check it out. Best CD I've bought in a long time.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

I think she's the one doing whistle classes at Augusta, during the Celtic Week. Now how am I going to decide between whistle and flute?

Jennie
David Levine

Great stuff

Post by David Levine »

This is indeed a great CD. Beautiful music played with sensitivity and skill. Poles apart from Lunasa. It is indeed a must-have.
Sorry to agree with you Lambert!
Time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind,
Most likely you'll go your way, I'll go mine.
clark
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

Hey nice Avatar!

Clark
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

clark wrote:Hey nice Avatar!

Clark
And doesn't he look like himself now ! :lol:
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I got this CD for my sweetie's Christmas present (I also bought it from Celtic Grooves (happy B-day Philippe, BTW! :party:)). But he's barely had a chance with it; I've been listening to it nonstop.

It's brilliant. The Girl With The Golden Hair Flowing, etc. .... is about as close to perfect as you can get.

In fact, I was even compelled to write Philippe and thank him for selling it to me!

Guess I'd better look at buying another copy.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
David Levine

Her long golden hair flowing down her back...

Post by David Levine »

Ah, Cathy. Catherine McEvoy told me once that the full title of the tune to which you refer is “Her long golden hair flowing down her back, and the color of hair was black.” It doesn't make any less sense than "The Porthole of the Kelp," does it?
Time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind,
Most likely you'll go your way, I'll go mine.
dcopley

Re: Her long golden hair flowing down her back...

Post by dcopley »

David Levine wrote:It doesn't make any less sense than "The Porthole of the Kelp," does it?
I had also wondered about "Porthole of the Kelp", and imagined some sort of surreal undersea revelation, but then I read this on the session.org web site:

"according to John McEvoy one of Bobby Caseys relatives found the port hole of the sunken ship Kelp on the beach. he brought it home, cleaned and varnished it and put it on the wall of his house. Sitting under it and playing Bobby got this tune and so he named it ...
# Posted on July 14th 2003 by crannog"

Makes it all seem rather mundane, so I think I'll stick with my version.

Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

David Levine wrote:Ah, Cathy. Catherine McEvoy told me once that the full title of the tune to which you refer is “Her long golden hair flowing down her back, and the color of hair was black.” It doesn't make any less sense than "The Porthole of the Kelp," does it?
I remember hearing Bobby Casey announce the tune that way, either at Willie Week or the time he came to the Gaelic Roots week at Boston College a year or two before he died. Of course Catherine was there nearby at those times and also spent a lot of time with Bobby Casey otherwise, so she probably got that name from him. It's not clear as to whether that's Junior Crehan's name for the tune he wrote, or Bobby's embellishment of it. I'd believe either story.

As for "The Porthole of the Kelp", I've heard that Bobby Casey named that tune after seeing the porthole that had washed up on shore from a sunken ship called the Kelp. Makes about as much sense as any other explanation, doesn't it?
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

David Levine wrote:Ah, Cathy. Catherine McEvoy told me once that the full title of the tune to which you refer is “Her long golden hair flowing down her back, and the color of hair was black.” It doesn't make any less sense than "The Porthole of the Kelp," does it?
Oh, great. Now I'm in even more trouble mixing it up with the Blackhaired Lass (don't ask me how; but I've just decided I oughtn't work on both at the same time)!

Fascinating info! Interestingly, I was at a session last Wednesday, and someone started in on "Her Golden Hair ..." -- I had been listening to the Mulcahy's so much the tune was 90% under my fingers, and I had it by the second time around.

Pity the same doesn't apply to "The Galway Rambler." :-D

Anyway, thank you for the story, David! And aha; that's the "Porthole of the Kelp" background.

I suppose it's no stranger than "The Pompatus (aka Puppitudes) of Love"!

Thanks again, and here's to a lovely listen.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Jennie

Re: Great stuff

Post by Jennie »

David Levine wrote:This is indeed a great CD. Beautiful music played with sensitivity and skill. Poles apart from Lunasa.
When you say it's "poles apart" from Lunasa, I'm curious. In which direction? Totally pure drop?

I like Lunasa. How does this differ?

Jennie
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I'd say it's poles apart in many, many departments: Tempo, approach, style, instrumentation, feel, lift, choice of tunes, production/recording style, adherence to tradition i.e. the music the way it's more traditionally played, the audience it's geared for ... and those are just a few for starters. :-)

My guess is that this CD probably has more appeal to people who've been playing a while* -- i.e., rather than having it grow on you, you sort of have to grow into it.

*(note I did NOT use the word "old", thank you very much :-D)
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Jennie wrote:I think she's the one doing whistle classes at Augusta, during the Celtic Week. Now how am I going to decide between whistle and flute?

Jennie
I'm in the same boat! I may try to get a flute lesson with her if she can & it's OK. Once you hear her playing you'll want to, too. It'll break your heart.

P.S. To Those Who Would Have Fun With My Inordinate Fondness For You- Know-Whats: note the Murray mention in the liner notes :-D
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Cathy Wilde wrote:I'd say it's poles apart in many, many departments: Tempo, approach, style, instrumentation, feel, lift, choice of tunes, production/recording style, adherence to tradition i.e. the music the way it's more traditionally played, the audience it's geared for ... and those are just a few for starters. :-)

My guess is that this CD probably has more appeal to people who've been playing a while* -- i.e., rather than having it grow on you, you sort of have to grow into it.
Thanks, that helps qualify. Lunasa's music is more "produced," more geared towards folks who may not have a traditional music background, and has more immediate appeal to general audiences? And the Mulcahy recording is more like what you'd hear in a session, more authentic to the tradition.

I like your description of "growing into it." I'm guessing it'll be one I'll enjoy (even though I still like Lunasa!).

Jennie
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

David Levine wrote:Ah, Cathy. Catherine McEvoy told me once that the full title of the tune to which you refer is “Her long golden hair flowing down her back, and the color of hair was black.”

lovely tune
read comments by sara g. entitled 'depends on which daughter' at
http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display.php/1263

i like the cmaj version given later in the comments section