collections

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

Charlene wrote:I collect unicorns.
To bad Noah didn’t collect them.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

OMG! I have someone to offload my old collection on!

I started collecting unicorns after a dream in highschool, and stopped collecting about 25 years ago. It started with one that a highschool chum bought for me in Ireland, went on to one that a college friend stitched, a plate that I 'stole', a really homely one that has become one of my favorites, a ton of mugs, one limited edition thimble. . .a trio that looks like its made by LLadro, a small pendant, one drawn on a river rock....

But I've stopped loving them, and only want to keep a small handful. The rest is being prepped for eBay...
------------------------------------------------
Old Collections: unicorns, tigers, parrotphernalia, knitting machines and yarn

Current collections: erotic frogs (very small collection, but very precious to me) mugs (hand made only - does it count as a collection if you actually use them?) hostae (24 varieties) round towers (I actually 'collect' sightings of round towers, commemorated with photos)

Tyghre collections: flashlights....lots and lots of flashlights
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
missy

Post by missy »

besides dulcimers... :D

I collect "moon and stars" things - it all started as a "protest" when P&G removed the symbol from it's products because of the Satanic rumor-mill in the early 1980's. I've got moon and stars jewelry, wind chimes, wine glasses, clothing, you name it.

I don't collect Hummels, but I have quite a few I inherited from my grandmother. She worked for a German baker and he would give her one every year after his trip back home. So these are quite old and valuable. My cousin got the creche figures - which were "stolen" when she moved.

While I don't have enough to say I collect it, I love estate or vintage jewelry. I have several pieces from relatives, etc.

I also collect old family pictures.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

A woman co-worker of mine was still single in her early thirties. I'm sure that she was wondering whether she was ever going to meet the right person. After all, when you are 33 you are beginning to get set in your ways. Anyway, to make a long story shorter, Nancy finally met a man that she could get along with. He was a few years older than her, and as she talked about him at work, it became clear that he was a bachelor collector. One thing that he collected was shot glasses. He had built special shelves, and his shot glass collection filled an entire room. To me, this seemed a little bizarre, but I didn't mention my reservations to Nancy.

Some time later I attended the couple's wedding, and 9 months and one day after that the first child was born. Nancy confided in me that her new husband was a little upset when she insisted that the shot glass collection was going to have to go into storage, because they needed the collection room for the new baby. There is a moral to this story, but I am not going to mention what my answer is. You can be creative and construct your own moral. Share it if you want.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Doug_Tipple wrote:There is a moral to this story, but I am not going to mention what my answer is. You can be creative and construct your own moral. Share it if you want.
Moral: Always check with Doug Tipple before you get married, to make sure it's ok. :)
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Doug_Tipple wrote:There is a moral to this story, but I am not going to mention what my answer is. You can be creative and construct your own moral. Share it if you want.
It's the shot glass collection that goes first when you're starting a baby collection.

That is, of course, unless you have a handgun collection. In that case, that goes first.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

All things Cthulhu
I even have the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy episode with Cthulhu on tape. It's so sad ;)
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Wanderer wrote:All things Cthulhu
I even have the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy episode with Cthulhu on tape. It's so sad ;)
Yes, that's extremely sad.

:lol:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Sliabh Luachra

Post by Sliabh Luachra »

Wanderer,

Do i have a site for you!!!

http://www.cthulhulives.org/TOC.html

Mark
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Jerry Freeman wrote: A $7,000 measuring cup. Wonderful thing. It's pyrex glass, 1 Qt, has a sort of bowl shape and handle, and it's great for microwaving anything and then carrying it off to wherever to eat. It's my all purpose cooking/eating thing. With that and a spoon, I'm all set.
I didn't pay $7,000 for mine, but I know what you mean about the pyrex measuring cup! I use mine all the time too, just pop it in the microwave, grab, and go.

I collect keychains. I have probably a couple hundred now. Most are from places I've been, or that family and friends have brought me from places they've been. Some are cute/funny/different ones that have just caught my eye and/or were really cheap. I have a bunch of NASCAR ones. And then I have the freebie giveaway ones.

I also collect cow related items. It's a long story why, but my kitchen is full of cows. I have stuffed cows all across the top of the cupboards, a cow kettle, cow utensil holder, cow salt and pepper shakers, cow placemats, and various cow art on the walls. And I get a cow calendar every year.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Sliabh Luachra wrote:Wanderer,

Do i have a site for you!!!

http://www.cthulhulives.org/TOC.html

Mark
Thanks :) I already have the Cthulhu Christmas carols though ;)
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Congratulations wrote:
Wanderer wrote:All things Cthulhu
Yes, that's extremely sad.

:lol:
I know..Cthulhu was no match for Mandy's evil :cry:
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

The only thing I have that I would call a collection is Skye Terrier stuff, mostly figurines and sculptures. I don't have a whole lot, primarily and luckily, because they are a rare breed and there's not a lot of it made.

Now, I do "collect" Arts&Crafts era stuff because I love it. and it suits my house. Any old stuff from that era. My most recent project is restoring a "Hoosier Beauty" cabinet from the early '20s for my kitchen. I can't count the hours,to date, that I've put into stripping the paint off this piece and am down to the last upper cabinet door. Originally, I meant to just take off the paint, sand and re-paint. Research proved that the original finish was unpainted, so, I've had to take it all the way down to the bare wood. Oak has such wide grain that this has been a real chore, but the results will hopefully be worth it. Unfortunately, it was gutted of the handy stuff like the flour sifter/bin, sugar bin, spice rack, etc. I figure it'll take several years to get it back to it's original self, since those things are gonna be $$$ to replace. Here's a link to it-
.http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/drumnacou ... /my_photos
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I.D.10-t wrote:
To bad Noah didn’t collect them.
He tried - but "them unicorns were hiding, playing silly games." :lol:

I forgot to mention my unicorn calendar. And stickers. And candles . . . . :D
Charlene
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I collect coins, old postcards, old jewelry boxes and other small boxes, decorative tile. Though I haven't bought much in several of those categories in a while, and may ditch the jewelry boxes, because of the clutter they cause. I also have quite a few "suncatchers," but not a collection as of yet.