Are you ready for a story?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

peeplj wrote:At one time there was a regulation that they have to allow you to bring musical instrument(s) as carry-on, as long as they don't take up more than a certain amount of space.
A friend of mine has had some trouble with instruments as carry-on post 9/11, so he takes a copy of this any time he flies. Says musical instruments are to be allowed as carry-on in addition to the one bag and one item you're already allowed.

I think someone on this board has mentioned this in the past, as well.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

That's a great idea Congrats. I've downloaded it for future reference.
alespa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

What airline was it Eric? And what city(ies)? It would help if people had some idea of where to be keeping their eyes open. Unless the person who stole it is going to keep, you know they will be selling. Wouldn't hurt to post the pics of the items people don't already know what they look like, and manuf. #'s if applicable. We can spread the word, and who knows?
Last edited by alespa on Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

My fiddle will be travelling with me this weekend - as carry on, and I have a copy of that documenbt in the case.

Thanks for the timely reminder, Eric, and I hope at least some of your stuff shows up eventually.

Might be worth listing the instruments on The Session as well, a lot of people there, and you never know who might spot a stolen instrument for sale somewhere.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Thanks everyone for your care!

There's still a chance that it will show up. I do hope so; one of the other things that is missing is the video that was inside the camera - Christmas video that I was planning to send to my wife. That one hurts.

It's funny. Over the years whenever anyone has asked me "If your house was burning down and you knew that your family was safe, what one material possession would you want to save." I've always said my flute(s). But somehow, as much as I didn't want to loose them, I'm at peace with it. If they show up, then I have them back. If they don't, then I have the memories created with them.

The blackwood flute, for example, was purchased in a pub after accidentally bumping into Martin. I was at the bar and he walked by with a beautiful leather flute case. I asked him about it and he described how wonderful a man the maker was and what a beautiful instrument it was. I played it and it was gorgeous. Of course, he was joking around with me as he was the maker, but we got a good laugh out of it and decided to meet the next day for lunch and I bought the blackwood from him, then.

And I purchased the silver flute while I was taking lessons at the Vandercook College of Music in Chicago. I was playing a junky Artley student flute and was feeling pretty intimidated by everyone with their nice flutes so I got the new Emerson. I brought it and my old flute in one day to show my teacher how much better I'll be able to play. She grabbed my old one and rattled off some beautiful aria; she handed it back to me and said, "I think that it plays just fine." I learned that day that the instrument doesn't make the musician.

Good memories. :)

I've got to take the kids to school, but I'll try to post a picture and serial numbers later today.

Thanks again for your empathy,
Erik
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Here is a picture:
The Doyle is S# 1021 and the Emerson silver flute is S# F89944. The other ones don't have any defining numbers, but a purple Overton is hard to miss.

Erik
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Oh, Erik, darn it.

Now that you're at peace with it, the rest of us can fume and fester for a while... not that it helps. Just part of the process of dealing with loss and victimization.

I can deal with taking extra measures to protect myself from the elements and from natural disasters, from wild animals and motor vehicle accidents. But it's really a hurdle to take those same measures to protect myself from fellow human beings. :(

Jennie
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

My god...Erik, I'm am sooo sorry.....it just defies any words.:cry: :cry:
I just contradicted myself.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

I just got off the phone with an insurance investigator out of Seattle. Interesting guy, actually; he was on the security detail for Weinberger. He said that a few months ago the baggage handlers for Alaska went on strike and Alaska hired contract employees to take their place. He's said that they've had an extreemly high number of reports of lost baggage with Alaska.

He will be visiting with them today to hopefully move things along.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

amar wrote:My god...Erik, I'm am sooo sorry.....it just defies any words.:cry: :cry:
Amar, you are hilarious! If I'm ever in Basel, I'm looking you up.
dow

Post by dow »

Sorry for your loss, EriK. And to add insult to injury, they got your Blokus game too. :x
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
amar

Post by amar »

ErikT wrote:
amar wrote:My god...Erik, I'm am sooo sorry.....it just defies any words.:cry: :cry:
Amar, you are hilarious! If I'm ever in Basel, I'm looking you up.
I'm glad I could make you smile, it's what I had planned.
You are welcome any time. ;)
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Congratulations wrote:
peeplj wrote:At one time there was a regulation that they have to allow you to bring musical instrument(s) as carry-on, as long as they don't take up more than a certain amount of space.
A friend of mine has had some trouble with instruments as carry-on post 9/11, so he takes a copy of this any time he flies. Says musical instruments are to be allowed as carry-on in addition to the one bag and one item you're already allowed.

I think someone on this board has mentioned this in the past, as well.
Good for you Congrats! I was frantically searching my computer for that file to post.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Re: Lost.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Phil Hardy wrote:I am as we speak packing some expensive whistles that i know they will not allow in the cabin.......
I had three whistles in my carry-on (2 metal 1 wood) last time I flew. Put them through the x-ray machine and nary a peep.

Now I just thought, I wonder how hard it will be (if at all) to get my self carved Old California Oak Shillelagh to Ireland with me for the walking vacation. :-?
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Geraint

Post by Geraint »

Erik, I feel for you. I lost lots of my stuff just before Christmas - not as much as you but enough to hurt :sniffle:

Geraint
Tri pheth sy'n anodd nabod....