Tipple Twins: Pratten and R & R

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Tipple Twins: Pratten and R & R

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Looking at the paltry interest I have been receiving from my savings account, I decided to invest in flutes that I think will appreciate in value much more quickly than 1% per year. I asked the up-and-coming American flutemaker, Jon Cornia, to make me two flutes in delrin, one a classic Pratten and the other a classic Ruddal and Rose style. Jon informed me that the flutes are completed and will be shipped today.

Jon commented, "I call them the Tipple twins, as they were born at the same time, but have two different personalities! Classic Pratten and Classic R&R. The Pratten has the rounded rectangle and the R&R has a more classic oval. Keep in mind that the R&R takes a little getting used to, but is rewarding in the end. Hope you enjoy them."

Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wormdiet »

That is an amazing photograph: Two "ideal type" flutes by the same maker, produced at the same time, in direct comparison. The architectural differences between the two styles are thrown into sharp relief.

Of course we'll need a full review!
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Must be fraternal twins.

I think that the R&R is in my future.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Very nice, Doug.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Nice.
Tjones

Post by Tjones »

Doug,

Is "Jon Cornia" , the same as Jon C. that posts here on the board, of Jon Cochran Flutes, or is he a totally different and new flute maker, and if so what's his back ground and contact information?

I like the lines of the flute very much. Would be interested in how you think they play.

Cheers,
Tjones
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Tjones wrote:Doug,

Is "Jon Cornia" , the same as Jon C. that posts here on the board, of Jon Cochran Flutes, or is he a totally different and new flute maker, and if so what's his back ground and contact information?

I like the lines of the flute very much. Would be interested in how you think they play.

Cheers,
Tjones
My secret identity has been revealed! :boggle:
I use my mothers name Cochran, as I feel more akin to Cochrans then the Cornia's. The Cornia's were French Canadian trappers, the original name was Perhaps an altered spelling of Corneyre, a ‘learned’ form of Cornier, a topographic name for someone who lived on the corner of a street. I guess we lived on the corner of some street... :oops:
Cheers,
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

how cool, doug! I second the review request......... :)
but meanwhile: have FUN!

cheers
berti
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

Jon C. wrote:
Tjones wrote:Doug,

Cheers,
Tjones
My secret identity has been revealed! :boggle:
I use my mothers name Cochran, as I feel more akin to Cochrans then the Cornia's. The Cornia's were French Canadian trappers, the original name was Perhaps an altered spelling of Corneyre, a ‘learned’ form of Cornier, a topographic name for someone who lived on the corner of a street. I guess we lived on the corner of some street... :oops:
Cheers,
Those are some really nice looking instruments. It'd be nice to hear them as well.

Can't wait for mine...
William Bajzek
daiv

Post by daiv »

Jon C. wrote: My secret identity has been revealed!
although i couldnt quite place Jon's real last name, i already knew his name wasnt Cochran. i think i figured it out first day of doing research on his flutes. but, i couldnt for the life of me figure out what his real last name was, or why he used another last name for his flutes.

doug, you'll have to tell us how they play when you get them! i'm planning on ordering one this spring so i i'd love to hear more to bide the time.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

So will this be your first tapered bodied flute? I know you have played Boehm and cylindrical flutes.

In my personal dealings, Jon C. has proven himself that he that he has pride in his work.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Henke

Post by Henke »

daiv wrote:doug, you'll have to tell us how they play when you get them! i'm planning on ordering one this spring so i i'd love to hear more to bide the time.
I have had the pleasure of playing one of Jon's flutes for a few weeks. It was an R&R in cocobolo, and I can tell you that the man does some top notch work. I really enjoyed the flute. It had everything that I would ask for in a good flute. I think that my dream flute would be a keyed Jon C Pratten, and I think I'll get one as soon as I'm good for it.
My point is: Get one now, don't get caught up in the waiting list as I'll probably be. This Jon fellow is on to something, and when people start to realise that, you'll be waiting many years for your Jon C flute.
Get it, you won't regret it. Jon is great fellow to deal with as well.
daiv

Post by daiv »

Henke wrote: I have had the pleasure of playing one of Jon's flutes for a few weeks. It was an R&R in cocobolo, and I can tell you that the man does some top notch work. I really enjoyed the flute. It had everything that I would ask for in a good flute. I think that my dream flute would be a keyed Jon C Pratten, and I think I'll get one as soon as I'm good for it.
My point is: Get one now, don't get caught up in the waiting list as I'll probably be. This Jon fellow is on to something, and when people start to realise that, you'll be waiting many years for your Jon C flute.
Get it, you won't regret it. Jon is great fellow to deal with as well.
that's what i've heard! Jon and I emailed back and forth for a week or so at the beginning of this year, talking about options, prices, delrin / vs. wood, and which flute would fit well for me.

the only problem is i am getting two concertinas, an edgley and a carroll. the carroll waiting list is 3 years long, which i ordered during october. the edgley i ordered earlier this month, with a waiting list of about 4-6 months.

i had planned to have the money for the edgley by february, then i was going to order the Jon C. by march. after i sent the down payment to frank edgley, i was told by my parents that i would have to pay for school, and that i would be reimbursed at least enough to get my concertina. so my bank account considerably lighter, i wont be able to get the flute until after the concertina, or at least until my parents pay me back.

i'm not too worried, though, because the waiting list for a delrin is much shorter than a wooden flute, and i plan on ordering from Jon in april or may. i play boehm now, so i want a delrin so i can go full charge into the flute without worrying about break in time or care.

the other reason i want delrin is because i want to have a flute for travelling. before i found out about Jon C. i was planning on getting a copley and then an m&e. i still want to get the copley, but i am going to wait until he finishes working on his c natural thumb hole.

so i have a question, henke. if i had a delrin Jon C. flute, would you think i might want to get a wooden one as well?

so i think the lesson in all of this is that school and concertinas are bad for wooden flutes. it seems every time i get enough money for a wooden flute one or the other gets in the way.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I've been thinking quite seriously about a Jon C. Delrin, myself.

Much as I love my Burns Folk Flute, it isn't the best for travel - and depending on customer requests, I can end up almost anywhere with very little notice. I've been looking at polymer flutes, and a Jon C Delrin is surpisingly affordable - in the same general price range as an M & E or a Seery, with quite a few more options to chose from.

Doug, I know that Jon C. offers both large-hole and small-hole R & R models; is this is the large-hole version?
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Henke wrote: I think that my dream flute would be a keyed Jon C Pratten, and I think I'll get one as soon as I'm good for it.
You'll have to wait a while for the keyed one. I put a request in about a year or so ago and he hasn't had time to play around with keys yet. I think he finally got the tools for it though, right Jon? He has the craftsmenship to make some amazing keyed flutes although I don't know where he would fit his new equiptment as there is a massive generator taking up the majority of his hi-jacked workshop.

Have you played his Pratten?