Are you ready for a story?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ErikT
antispam: No

Are you ready for a story?

Post by ErikT »

I recently returned from a month long Christmas vacation with 2 less flutes, 3 less whistles, one less camera, one less camcorder and one less cell phone. NEVER before had I had the "bravery" to pack my flutes in my checked baggage. I have always carried them on. I've never even had problems with security.

This time, however, I was travelling alone with 3 children, one of whom was an infant, and I thought that since I had never lost a bag, it was time to try checking all of these extra things in my baggage rather than carrying them all around the 3 layovers that I would have. Afterall, with security as it now is, how could they lose a bomb - I mean bag.

Anywho, I checked them. And 5 out of my 6 bags made it. The 5 with about $25 worth of clothes made it. The 1 with $5500 worth of stuff did not. My friends figure that there's a fence in Chicago that is at this moment offloading my stuff to his friend in Atlanta.

Fortunately I took a picture of the contents before I left and brought the CF card with me on the plane. The airlines will cover $2800 and my homeowners will pick up the rest minus my $500 deductible. So financially I should eventually be covered (in 4-7 weeks).

But here's what I lost. My Emerson silver flute that I've had for more than a decade and was my first quality solid silver flute, my new Martin Doyle blackwood flute that everyone that has played it, even professional players, has drooled over - it was so smooth. I bought it directly from Martin while in Ireland.

I lost my Overton F w/ purple anodizing that I bought while at Colin's house in Germany. It had huge backpressure and really ripped.

I lost my own personal Tully Whistle as well as a mighty fine Sindt A.

Oh, and 2 harmonicas that my Grandfather had given me at Christmas. He played them when he was a youngin' 60 years ago.

So count me 7 instruments lighter and perhaps a little wiser. Please consider flying your flags at half mast ;)

Erik
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Oh man, that's TERRIBLE, Erik!! :o
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
feadog39
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by feadog39 »

oh, erik, that HURTS. i'm so sorry. I'm glad you got monetary replacement, but that really doesn't nearly add up to what i'm sure these instruments meant to you.

i never ever check my instruments. never. i've heard horror stories like this from others. i waited ten years for my olwell flute; no way anybody else is going to "handle" it for me. nor my copelands.

wish you the best of luck in finding replacements.
Brendan
bearbro

Post by bearbro »

I really feel for you my friend. No money will replace what you have lost.
This is a mighty sad world we live in when one cannot trust anyone.
the bear said that
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Oh wow, Erik! :o Any slim possibility that they might still show up?

Judy

PS -- I can donate Tully #135 in C as a consolation, if you would like it .... :wink:
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Sheet. :(
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Phil Hardy

Lost.

Post by Phil Hardy »

I am as we speak packing some expensive whistles that i know they will not allow in the cabin.......sh*t!
WHAT DO I DO,take 'em or leave 'em?

I'm sure that with some diligence a purple Overton and others won't be hard to find,it's just a case of the Big C&F Eye in the sky.

Phil.
emmline

Post by emmline »

No, never trust airline baggage systems. My understanding is they're quite crooked.
I'm really sorry Erik.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Erik, words can't express what I feel for you right now.

It's not just the monetary value of "things" that makes us love them so much.

Anyway, I have had bags misplaced a couple of times in the past (not with anything valuable within, however)
In all cases, the bags somehow got back to me, intact with all belongings in place. One time, it was several weeks later.....

So is it possible that could still happen????

Mary
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

Ahh man - what a low blow! The sick thing is that the thieves would only care about the cameras and probly havn't a clue of the real value of the instruments.

We should keep a sticky for stolen instruments descriptions, so's all the C&Fers can shout if they see the goods surface.

Is this a possible Dale?
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Very very sad news!

I had a bag go missing that I got one year later. You never know!

I NEVER pack flutes and whistles. They go with me on the plane.
Wilsing

Post by Wilsing »

That is a lot of loss Erik! I really cannot imagine how you must REALLY

feel at this point. There is always hope that your wonderful instruments

will be returned to you. Thank you for sharing your story with us. Your

story should be a wake-up call for all of us who travel with our

instruments. I am very sorry for your loss.

James

Post by SBS144 »

Erik, you should probably start checking ebay regularly to see if they show up there. What hurts more is the sentiment they have. Something of that kind of value can't be easily replaced. I'm glad you will get some financial replacement.
PhilO

Re: Lost.

Post by PhilO »

Phil Hardy wrote:I am as we speak packing some expensive whistles that i know they will not allow in the cabin.......sh*t!
WHAT DO I DO,take 'em or leave 'em?

I'm sure that with some diligence a purple Overton and others won't be hard to find,it's just a case of the Big C&F Eye in the sky.

Phil.
Condolences Erik. Phil - how do you "know" they won't let them in the cabin - worst that ever happened to me was I had to play one before they'd let them on (If I was any good, they might have asked me to play them all).

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

At one time there was a regulation that they have to allow you to bring musical instrument(s) as carry-on, as long as they don't take up more than a certain amount of space.

I don't know if that's still the case, but I have flown with flutes and whistles, and though they almost always get examined, they have never been taken out of my possession.

Erik, I really feel for you, man. That's gotta hurt.

--James