has anyone ever used their whistle for evil?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

I keep a particularly screechy Little Black D in my office. It's very effective at eliminating unwanted visitors. I don't have to actually play anything . . . merely the offer of a little recital is sufficient to clear the room.

Several weeks ago, I was at work late and thought to watch the bats fly out from under the eaves at sunset. I was standing outside on the porch, about 15 feet from where they exit, noodling on the whistle while I waited.

The bats never came out.
Whitmores75087
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whitmores75087 »

You can cause bleeding of the spleen with a 3rd octave d on a Susato.

Please, only do this to bad people. I must insist.
Short bio: 1952-
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i have found my people. thanks folks, i'd write more but my eyes are tearing up.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

There have been a couple of times I've been tempted to shed my passivism and use one as a cudgel. Get thee behind me ... and fast!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
lisdoonvarna

dog gone deaf-my fault? Evil?

Post by lisdoonvarna »

Alas, the vet confirmed our dog is deaf. She used to snuggle next to me on the recliner while I practiced. This loud exposure to my whistle learning could be unintentional evil on my part (not a mortal sin according to the Baltimore Catechism).

I'm hoping it wasn't the whistle that caused the hearing loss. The vet doubted it. She is 11 years old (the dog -not the vet). I probably won't go to hell for this, but I could have to spend eons in purgatory having to continuously play the song "Sugar, Sugar" on a recorder.

Patrick
if at first you don't succeed, buy a new whistle
River Otter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by River Otter »

In the summer it's fun to play out in the yard and watch the stupid neighborhood kids run out of their houses looking for the icecream truck. :twisted:
River Otter
Fortitudine Vincit
anniemcu

Re: dog gone deaf-my fault? Evil?

Post by anniemcu »

lisdoonvarna wrote:Alas, the vet confirmed our dog is deaf. She used to snuggle next to me on the recliner while I practiced. This loud exposure to my whistle learning could be unintentional evil on my part (not a mortal sin according to the Baltimore Catechism).

I'm hoping it wasn't the whistle that caused the hearing loss. The vet doubted it. She is 11 years old (the dog -not the vet). I probably won't go to hell for this, but I could have to spend eons in purgatory having to continuously play the song "Sugar, Sugar" on a recorder.

Patrick
I'm betting that if she cuddled with you while you played, she was already mostly deaf. Not your fault at all.
anniemcu
---
---
---
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

dear patrick:

my mom is losing her hearing and just absolutely refuses to get a hearing aid. since she only talks and never listens this hasn't affected her communication any. when she first heard me play the whistle, she was pleased and surprised as all get out that she could hear the whistle. maybe that's why your dog sat so close to you when you played, maybe she could finally hear something. so, in summary, you weren't being evil with your whislte at all, you were being nice.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

I've used one to drown out evil...

On the Jewish holiday of Purim, the book of Esther is read aloud in the synagogue. In many places, this is a holiday sort of like Halloween, with kids (and adults!) dressing in costumes which may or may not reflect characters in that biblical book.

One custom is that whenever the name of the arch villan of the story, Haman, is read everyone makes as much noise as possible to drown out the loathsome name. People yell, shout, twirl New Years eve style noisemakers, etc. One year I used a particularly shrill Generation high G for that purpose.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

brewerpaul wrote:I've used one to drown out evil...

On the Jewish holiday of Purim, the book of Esther is read aloud in the synagogue. In many places, this is a holiday sort of like Halloween, with kids (and adults!) dressing in costumes which may or may not reflect characters in that biblical book.

One custom is that whenever the name of the arch villan of the story, Haman, is read everyone makes as much noise as possible to drown out the loathsome name. People yell, shout, twirl New Years eve style noisemakers, etc. One year I used a particularly shrill Generation high G for that purpose.
Hi Paul - sounds like fun!

I have never used a whistle I own for evil, but I did start a hate group against plastic (shaft) whistles on another thread - does that count? :)
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i cannot believe you folks consider yourself evil. anniemcu gives her elderly dog a chance to hear something beauthiful again (and that was so close to being a sin of ommision too by not protecting the dog's ears) brewerpaul gets rid of evil by playing the high notes while participating in a religious service, and shadeclan is picking on poor defenseless plastic (shaft) whistle. are you too much a scared-ee cat to pick on plastic fipple whistles? i swear the next person is probably going to say that they were evil by only playing the first movement of beethoven's fifth. i want to hear about evil folks, evil. i want to hear more stories like how river otter tricked children by imperonating an ice cream truck and feadogon gave people a dose of their own medicine, and the other stories about tricking the lower mammals by scaring bats, tricking man's best friend away from the oreos, and the most lowest form of life, office mates. get to work people. and evil is not making your grandma cry by playing so beautifully. i swear.
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

mutepointe wrote:i cannot believe you folks consider yourself evil. anniemcu gives her elderly dog a chance to hear something beauthiful again (and that was so close to being a sin of ommision too by not protecting the dog's ears) brewerpaul gets rid of evil by playing the high notes while participating in a religious service, and shadeclan is picking on poor defenseless plastic (shaft) whistle. are you too much a scared-ee cat to pick on plastic fipple whistles? i swear the next person is probably going to say that they were evil by only playing the first movement of beethoven's fifth. i want to hear about evil folks, evil. i want to hear more stories like how river otter tricked children by imperonating an ice cream truck and feadogon gave people a dose of their own medicine, and the other stories about tricking the lower mammals by scaring bats, tricking man's best friend away from the oreos, and the most lowest form of life, office mates. get to work people. and evil is not making your grandma cry by playing so beautifully. i swear.
Hey now... 'twarn't me what cheered the sweet canine with one ... 'twas me what resisted the urge to throttle one or two people with mine... and I'm not over the temptation yet. :x
anniemcu
---
---
---
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

mutepointe wrote:i cannot believe you folks consider yourself evil. anniemcu gives her elderly dog a chance to hear something beauthiful again (and that was so close to being a sin of ommision too by not protecting the dog's ears) brewerpaul gets rid of evil by playing the high notes while participating in a religious service, and shadeclan is picking on poor defenseless plastic (shaft) whistle. are you too much a scared-ee cat to pick on plastic fipple whistles? i swear the next person is probably going to say that they were evil by only playing the first movement of beethoven's fifth. i want to hear about evil folks, evil. i want to hear more stories like how river otter tricked children by imperonating an ice cream truck and feadogon gave people a dose of their own medicine, and the other stories about tricking the lower mammals by scaring bats, tricking man's best friend away from the oreos, and the most lowest form of life, office mates. get to work people. and evil is not making your grandma cry by playing so beautifully. i swear.
Hey, I nearly deafened a professional recorder player, with my evil......er, well, I guess I see what you mean, that was actually using a whistle for good then, wasn't it...... My Bad. :lol:

Loren
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I have a generation high G.
I dare you to find a good use for one.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I.D.10-t wrote:I have a generation high G.
I dare you to find a good use for one.
As do I... works great in scattering the groups of feral cats (and children) that occasionally infest mt yard. :twisted: