Guilty Pleasures revisited (confessional)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
fyffer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Guilty Pleasures revisited (confessional)

Post by fyffer »

I have two confessions to make that I didn't realize until recently were offenses worthy of confession, so here they are:

Confession number 1:

I *LOVE* the Harry Potter books! I got the 1-5 box set for my 37th birthday in December, and I just finished book 5 (that works out to 2193 pages in one month. For the super dork who cares, see here: Harry Potter Math). As I was wandering toward the cafeteria the other day, carrying my almost-completed 5th book, another engineer stopped me in the stairwell with a gleaming smile, saying, "You're reading these too?" in an almost embarassed relief that another grown man was reading a "kid's book". Another engineer happened by and said facetiously that he kept his copy of HP underneath his po*n mags! :)
I love these books, and I'm not ashamed!

Confession number 2:

I watch, and thoroughly enjoy American Idol!
No explanation here. Just a confession.
And I will watch more.

-Chris
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Re: Guilty Pleasures revisited (confessional)

Post by fearfaoin »

fyffer wrote:As I was wandering toward the cafeteria the other day, carrying my almost-completed 5th book, another engineer stopped me in the stairwell with a gleaming smile, saying, "You're reading these too?" in an almost embarassed relief that another grown man was reading a "kid's book".
I ceased to be embarassed by this a long time ago. I've borrowed the
books from various adult friends (who do not have children). I got
more grief when I brough my Wheelock's Latin textbook into work.

In the way of confessional, I was inpired by this topic and made
a flute/whistle case with combination locks like a briefcase. I didn't
know how to set the combo, though, and couldn't open one of the
latches. I went through all 1000 combinations (3 wheels w/ 10 digits
each) 3 times, and still couldn't open it, so I cut the latch open. How
embarassing.

Anybody know how to set those combinations so I don't do that
again?
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

fyffer wrote:I *LOVE* the Harry Potter books!
There's nothing embarrassing or confession-worthy about that! They're fun, well-written books. We're currently replacing our US versions with copies from the Canadian publisher (so book 1 is correctly titled Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone; none of this "Sorcerer's Stone" crap). I don't know why they insisted on changing some of the language for the US versions, but it's always bugged me that they did.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Yeah, I started watching Idol last year after making fun of it for the three years before. Mostly because it was the water cooler conversation here at work. Actually, one of the office mates taped it for me, so I could fast forward through it, which helped a lot. Pretty cheezy. But I watch it now. Guilty as charged. it still makes me wince regularly but as for last year, I found the level of singing talent to pretty damn high near the end. I don't think half of the already-famous pop stars out there could make it through the competition, frankly...

I draw the line at the new dance shows with celebrities and the ultimate, SKATING with celebrities. I scoff now. Those people are actually hurting themselves on that thing, based on the promos.

TV is really the only guilty pleasure I indulge in except maybe eating too much. I'm okay with the rest of my life, spending time with kids and other Weekender, whistling, singing and exercisin'. Oh yeah, and "work."

PS. Harry Potter books got better and better as she grew as an author.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I watch very little TV apart from news and weather, but my guilty pleasure is South Park. I'll admit that they go a bit over the top into the land of bad taste once in a while,but many of the shows are truly brilliant. My favorite ones are those that lampoon real current events. At times they get these on the air only days after the actual events. Ya gotta love a show that has Saddam Hussein as Satan's gay lover... not that there's anything wrong with that :lol:
At first I was put off by what I thought were racist, sexist views on the show, but soon realized that they were mocking those views, not extolling them. Give it a try.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
djm

Post by djm »

I have tried to get into Southpark a couple of times, but I just can't make out what they're saying most of the time. :cry:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

The Weekenders wrote:I draw the line at the new dance shows with celebrities and the ultimate, SKATING with celebrities. I scoff now. Those people are actually hurting themselves on that thing, based on the promos.
Yeah, does that thing remind anybody else of the old "Circus of the
Stars" specials back in the 80s?

Also, I saw the Sarah Silverman movie, "Jesus is Magic", and loved it.
Don't tell my wife.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

... ummmm.... heh..... I watch Animal Planet more than any other channel.... heh... :oops: :oops: :oops:
I.D.10-t

Watership down.

Post by I.D.10-t »

Well, six days ago I started reading Watership Down. (A kids book about bunnies) Finished reading it two days ago. couldn't put the book down.

My current signature is from it.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Joseph E. Smith

Re: Watership down.

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I.D.10-t wrote:Well, six days ago I started reading Watership Down. (A kids book about bunnies) Finished reading it two days ago. couldn't put the book down.

My current signature is from it.
An excellent book. I read it when I was about 14, but I found its content more of a mature nature and not something I would read to 3-8 tear olds... at least not back in the seventies.

FIVER LIVES!
djm

Post by djm »

Watershipdown was a good book, put together over many years. Unfortunately, the author let the success of this book go to his head, and he came out with a bunch of other stories that sucked and died quick deaths.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I have read all of the HP books. I have seen all of the HP movies except this last one. I'm waiting for the DVD.

I must confess that I enjoy playing the tin whistle. I play all kinds of music not just Irish Traditional, after all I am not Irish I am Irish American. Along with this desire to play the whistle I enjoy acquiring whistles, any whistles. I must further confess that I have been trying to learn flute. I can't help myself.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

I sometimes look at the Politics and Other Controversial Topics forum. But usually only when someone at work says "Never mind, things could be worse."
Celtic983
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Celtic983 »

I like watching "Project Runway" Maybe, just that I am so fasionably or somthing...or more likely I just like to watch Heidi.
"Auf Wiedersehen"
I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family.

Benjamin Franklin
emmline

Post by emmline »

jsluder wrote:We're currently replacing our US versions with copies from the Canadian publisher (so book 1 is correctly titled Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone; none of this "Sorcerer's Stone" crap).
I'm with you there, Slude. We've got a U.S. version, and one I later ordered from Waterstones.com so it would have the not Dumbed-down-for-Yanks title.
(Not to mention I've also got Harry Potter a l'Ecole des Sorciers, and several other french editions from Amazon.fr.
If you want to get picky about changes being made for a particular audience--don't read it in French, where Snape becomes Rogue, and Hogwarts becomes Poudlard. And that's just the beginning.)