Surname distribution in Great Britain..for the genealogists

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Flyingcursor wrote:My name doesn't exist!!!!
Did you try typing Flyingcursor in?
You're supposed to type your REAL name! :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I did put in my real name. "Hababavarevabaga" And here I thought it was a reknown English name.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Flyingcursor wrote: "Hababavarevabaga"
Is that really your name? :o

Isn't there that one babylonian king named after you?
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
jbarter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jbarter »

Flyingcursor wrote:I did put in my real name. "Hababavarevabaga" And here I thought it was a reknown English name.
Really? Not one of the Herefordshire Hababavarevabagas? They're second cousins on my wife's Uncle Arthur's whippet's side.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

jbarter wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:I did put in my real name. "Hababavarevabaga" And here I thought it was a reknown English name.
Really? Not one of the Herefordshire Hababavarevabagas? They're second cousins on my wife's Uncle Arthur's whippet's side.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

bah. my sirname's not listed either. :swear:
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

amar wrote:bah. my sirname's not listed either. :swear:
What's your sirname? :-?
amar

Post by amar »

hahaa.a....sorry....

surname...

:oops:
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

I Knight thee Sir Amar the Silly! :P
amar

Post by amar »

Tyler Morris wrote:I Knight thee Sir Amar the Silly! :P
sur(e).

:wink:
Montana

Post by Montana »

Cool. One side of my family (or at least the name) was centered in the Midlands in 1881 (although I was always told it was Welsh). But by 1998, the vast majority are to be found in the north of Scotland (Sunderland). Guess I need to start following Sunderland football...
Last edited by Montana on Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

jbarter wrote:
That's what I would have thought!!! :boggle:
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Tiff

Post by Tiff »

well i typed in mine and it told me to type in a real surname!!!

as if double barrel surnames don't exist!!!
djm

Post by djm »

You have to remember what the hyphenated surnames were for. Possibly the first of the pair is the more significant, and you could start with that.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Tiff

Post by Tiff »

djm wrote:You have to remember what the hyphenated surnames were for
huh? what were they for?

well i've tried typing both in and they just seems to be a small smattering...ah well, its a surname my parents made up anyway, so i wasn't expectin anythin major