Why learn a new tune?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Jennie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Why learn a new tune?

Post by Jennie »

Here are some of the reasons I try to learn new tunes. Life is complex...

:) I heard it and I liked it.
:-? Everybody else plays it and I feel left out.
:wink: I read about it on C&F.
:boggle: It's really hard, so it must be good for me.
:poke: One of my music buddies wants to play it with me.
8) I found it leafing through a tune book and liked the title.
:twisted: It sounds complicated and impresses people.

Am I normal?
Jennie
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I've learned tunes for most of those reasons..notable exceptions being the "it must be good for me" one. Never learned one for that reason. Never learned one I just read about here on C&F either (though I've learned a couple after hearing them on Clips and Snips)
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: Why learn a new tune?

Post by colomon »

For me:

8) I found it leafing through a tune book and liked the title. (More likely, liked the tune!)

And my addition:

Because X plays it.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
steph_c

My reasons...

Post by steph_c »

I made up my mind in the beginning to just learn the tunes I've heard and liked...and certainly you can't go wrong with learning tunes out of the collections of compositions by Vincent Broderick, Sean Ryan and Paddy O'Brien.

I also learn tunes when Sol writes them. :-)
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I recently learned (or re-learned) a tune called Aunt Jenny's Good Enough for Anyone. How could you resist learning a tune with a title like that?
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Because it's there.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

SteveK wrote:I recently learned (or re-learned) a tune called Aunt Jenny's Good Enough for Anyone. How could you resist learning a tune with a title like that?
You're right! :lol: I think I need that one!

Lately, the community aspect of the music has been taking priority for me, though. I learn tunes a little quicker than some of the folks I play with (forget them quicker, too) so I'm spending more time on tunes that they already play or are working on.

Invariably the tunes I like best are the ones that are hardest on concertina. :( So I keep trying to find new ones that fit that instrument, too.

Jennie
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

OOps. I think I was influenced by your name Jennie because the title of the tune is really Old Aunt Sally is Good Enough for Anyone. There are plenty of Jennys in old time music though.

Steve
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: My reasons...

Post by colomon »

steph_c wrote:I also learn tunes when Sol writes them. :-)
Come to think of it, so do I! ;) This actually occupies a significant portion of my practice time.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Just went back and listened some more to those. Think I'll put "Wayward Girls' Farewell" on my "heard it and liked it" list to learn. :)

'Course, there are also the tunes that just learn themselves because I hear them enough times. I call them the "back door" tunes. The ones recorded next to the tunes I'm working on.

Jennie
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Yeah pretty much those reasons except the 3rd. Of course recently I have been learning tunes at a really fast pace and usually pick up 2 or 3 a week.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

SteveK wrote:OOps. I think I was influenced by your name Jennie because the title of the tune is really Old Aunt Sally is Good Enough for Anyone. There are plenty of Jennys in old time music though.
I like that title too. My old Aunt Sally died last week and she surely was good enough for anyone. Maybe I'll look it up and learn it in her honor.

Jennie
Caj

Post by Caj »

I used to learn tunes I liked (or that I was assigned in classes.) But now I have to learn the local session tunes to keep up.

I'm still only between 100-200 tunes, and in an arbitrary session that means you sit out about 95% of the time.

Caj
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Jennie wrote:
SteveK wrote:OOps. I think I was influenced by your name Jennie because the title of the tune is really Old Aunt Sally is Good Enough for Anyone. There are plenty of Jennys in old time music though.
I like that title too. My old Aunt Sally died last week and she surely was good enough for anyone. Maybe I'll look it up and learn it in her honor.
It's pretty much a 5-string banjo tune but maybe you could make something out of it. There's a version here:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=4829/singles
Martin Milner

Re: Why learn a new tune?

Post by Martin Milner »

colomon wrote:For me:

8) I found it leafing through a tune book and liked the title. (More likely, liked the tune!)

And my addition:

Because X plays it.
Same as Colomon, plus

I need to play it for Morris Dancers (on melodeon)

X is usually my musical partner or a friend, not a professional.

I also note that while I do have some tunes I started in workshops and at festivals, the vast majority of such tunes don't make it into my memory banks, which suggests I'm wasting my time attending workshops, at least as far as tunes go. Technique is another matter.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing