What is the most beautiful or exotic whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mitch
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

What is the most beautiful or exotic whistle?

Post by Mitch »

Hi All,

What is the most beautiful or exotic whistle you have ever seen?

I'm talking here about the "look" or materials used, not the sound :)

Exotic might also include instruments made from historic timbers or materials (e.g. made from Atilla the hun's thighbone etc).

Pictures would help.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
CountryKitty
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by CountryKitty »

I have a gorgeous 'suling'. (6 holes, fingers like a pennywhistle, with a simple square opening on the underside--you hold it to your lips like a whistle and blow a stream of air along the underside to flow across the opening.)

It's of teak, carved like a asian dragon. There are scales in relief along the sides, wide smooth belly scales like those of a snake on the underside. The back where the fingerholes are undulates and the large head has all kinds of detail...several projecting teeth, little bump of a chin under the lower jaw, bulging eyes, carved pleating vaguely reminicent of a mustache and lambchop sideburns around the lips and behind the cheeks.

I'm enough of a novice not to try to describe the playability (could just be me ya'know!)
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Busman in bocote
Thin Weasels -- in mopane, Honduran rosewood, and tulipwood
Harper non-tunable D with engraving
Alba D flageolet
Grinter

There's also something to be said for the old Water Weasels with the plumbing code still on them. I've only got one of those.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
slowair

Post by slowair »

For me, there is nothing I've experienced that can match the beauty and elegence of the Lon Dubh.
Doesn't hurt that it plays as good as it looks.

Mike
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

greenwood in purpleheart . . . absolutely beautiful . . .

precious, my precious
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Definitely my old Kerry low D - the usual big black plastic mouthpiece, but with an anodized body of black, red and blue in patterns that appear somehow African in design. I've never seen another one like it. It also plays well. Hey Phil, don't go telling me now that you made hundreds of these. :D I got it at Andy's Front Hall (now gone sadly) near Albany in Busman country as they were packing it up for a show; it never made it to the show. And, yes, I paid for it. :D

Next is the tuneable Alba A (set) that I just sold ( :( ) - gleaming silver color, file work around the tuning slide, and a beautiful marbled Albanite plug.

Finally, my Busman green delrin D. All fine players too.

Philo

PS - Tom needs to chime in here - he's got perhaps the most unique whistle I've ever seen that also plays well.
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

slowair wrote:For me, there is nothing I've experienced that can match the beauty and elegence of the Lon Dubh.
Doesn't hurt that it plays as good as it looks.

Mike
OK, I'll up you one. Blackwood Rose with gold ferrules
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

My most lovely instrument is my NAF, where the bell end is shaped as a horse head. Of my whistles...toss up between my Busman pink ivorywood and my Sweetheart Dymondwood.

I have a burning desire to take one of my cheapies and use glue and glitter, rhinestones and metallic paint to see how Las Vegas I can make it.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
tspin46

Post by tspin46 »

Just to coorect an earlier error, Andy's Front Hall is open for business, locally and with reduced online catalog. www.andysfronthall.com.

The error may have been caused by the closing of the Eldron Fennig Museum of American Euphremia, which saddly collapsed several winters ago.

I spoke to Andy Spence a little while ago and she made no mention of closing the front hall and the web site is active.

Andy is spending a lot of time being retired and "only" running the Old Songs Folk Festival every June in Altamont, New York. If you can make it drop by.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

tspin46 wrote:Just to coorect an earlier error, Andy's Front Hall is open for business, locally and with reduced online catalog. www.andysfronthall.com.

The error may have been caused by the closing of the Eldron Fennig Museum of American Euphremia, which saddly collapsed several winters ago.

I spoke to Andy Spence a little while ago and she made no mention of closing the front hall and the web site is active.

Andy is spending a lot of time being retired and "only" running the Old Songs Folk Festival every June in Altamont, New York. If you can make it drop by.
That would be good news indeed; thought the shop was closed - as I recall it's in Voorheesville and located on a turnoff somewhere near or midst a golf course. Is that shop still open with inventory of whistles, other instruments and music?

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Greenwood in blackwood with brass ferrules,

followed very closely by,

Abell in blackwood with silver ferrules

===

SlowAir, that Lon Dubh is gorgeous. I think the Lon Dubh wins. The mouthpiece is unique compared to most, filling the "exotic" category, and the rest of it is a work of art, which fills the "beautiful" category. Of course I think the Bleazey's that IDAwHO has are amazingly beautiful as well. I think the key with wood is choosing the best color metal for ferrules to go with the wood grain and color, and of course, the finish of the metal after turning, is important too.
Last edited by alespa on Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

When it comes to both beautiful and exotic, I am reminded of the look of the green MK Whistles.

And from what I hear on Phil Hardy's site, they have a somewhat exotic sound too.

Think I will add one of these to my want list, right after a new Hoover and a KerryPro and . . .
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

All of my whistles are beautiful.

Except maybe the Walton's whistles. I've never liked the look of the mouthpieces on those.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Most simply beautiful (though not exotic) I have actually seen is my Sop D Thin Weasel in Blackwood. And it keeps getting darker and more beautiful.

Though I could be biased since it's mine and all... :D

Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Well, it would have to be wood, naturally :wink:

I've had over 200 beautiful pieces of wood come and go over the last 3 years or so, and each had it's own particular charms. I remember one piece of Mopane, which is usually a fairly uniform looking medium brown wood. It wasn't until I applied a finish to the turned tube that I discovered some really fascinating iridescent grain lurking below the surface. I had a brief experience with Pink Ivory which was gorgeous and very exotic but caused me no end of heartache with cracking. It just may have been the batch I had, and I'm tempted to give it another try.
Tulipwood has always excited me. I once played a fabulous Von Huene recorder in Tulip with ivory fittings (pre-ban), and when I bought my first Thin Weasel many years ago, one of the things that led me to call Glenn was to ask him if he could make me one in Tulipwood.
I think the most exotic stuff to pass through the shop has been Snakewood. Simply amazing stuff. Also finicky-- all 4 whistles I made from it developed cracks a couple of months later! Fortunately, repairs were easy and the repaired cracks actually look like part of the grain and are undetectable unless you know where to look with a magnifier. Actually, not all of that Snakewood passed THROUGH my shop-- I kept one of those beauties.
Note that I'm not touting my own whistles specifically, just some of the beautiful materials I've been lucky enough to work with.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!