Harpy Roll Call

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wormdiet »

Fantastic:) You will need to let me know how it goes. I'd like a few more strings than that, but OTOH the small size of the Ravenna means it would actually fit in my car, and probably wouldn;t get in the way too much at sessions.

Hope you enjoy it!

J
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Wormdiet wrote:Fantastic:) You will need to let me know how it goes. I'd like a few more strings than that, but OTOH the small size of the Ravenna means it would actually fit in my car, and probably wouldn;t get in the way too much at sessions.

Hope you enjoy it!

J
I figure the smaller size will be an asset in my small house as well...there are safe corners where I can tuck it without worrying about it getting knocked over.

Now on to the next step...finding a teacher!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Just had to say. Last night at my Session a Harper showed up and it was really fun having a Harp at the Session. When everybody was slowing it down a bit she did an excellent redition of "O'Carolan's Welcome" on solo Harp, sounded great. At one point I was playing a tune that no one else seemed to know and I was accompanied by Harp and Bodhran which was really fun.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Well, the deed is done. I went to the music store and put in my order for a Ravenna with C and F levers yesterday.

Now that the decision has been made, I'm really getting excited (as well as a bit scared at the prospect of the learning curve with such a different instrument than I'm used to!). I noodled around some more with the one they had in the store, and I'm happy with my decision...it has a full, strong, voice for a small harp, and feels very well-constructed.

I'll let you all know when it arrives!

Redwolf
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Congrats, Redwolf! That must be exciting, since you hadn't thought you would be able to do this for some time. What a blessing of a Christmas present for you. It sounds like you made a wise choice, a good company, and a smaller harp with the sharping levers. It is surprising how powerful they can sound in the right room (hardwood floors make it nice).

I've been listening to Harper Tasche lately, and am really struck by the tone and simplicity of some of his pieces, yet they have a great overall impact on the harp, something I hadn't imagined being that powerful and appealing to me.

His is a cross strung harp, which is a little different, and it's a big one too-5 octave, I believe by a guy named Blessley (his website):

http://home.pacifier.com/~blesses/

It's a custom, not even in his catalog, and would imagine not many could ever hope to afford one. So, it's nice he's such a good harper, that we can hear it on his amazing cds. Here's a link to cdBaby, his "Depth of Field" cd, and my favorite track is #5, Rosa das Rosas. Spellbinding, and most likely my next cd purchase:

http://cdbaby.com/cd/harpertasche5

Anyway, I know it's not ITM, but it's nice. And good luck with your new baby, Redwolf. Let us know when it arrives! It should be a blast! And don't worry, from what I've read, it doesn't take all that long to get acclimated to the harp. Getting proficient, well, that's probably another story. But, have fun...it should be no other way!
~~~~
Barry
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

The store called! I get to pick up my new "baby" today!

Does anyone know...when using a chromatic tuner with a harp, where is the best place to attach the pickup? I've heard of people clipping it to the tuning pegs, but I've also seen pictures of pickups clipped to the edge of the sound holes at the back of the sound box.

I figure I'm going to be spending a lot of time tuning this pretty thing...best to start off right!

Redwolf
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

I think it depends on the tuner-see what works best for you. When I used to tune them, I used a Korg CA-30, with the clip right on the post, and moved it as I went along, so it stayed close to the group of strings I was tuning, and also so it didn't get in the way.

The sound hole might work-try it! And yes, tuning is something you will be spending some time on, especially with new strings. Sometimes it helps to push in on the peg a little while tuning to help seat it. I'm sure the owner's manual will tell you all the essentials.

But the real fun is changing strings! (NOT!) You won't have to do that for some time though, so have fun playing!

PS Don't forget to humidify your room or your harp during the heating season! If you don't have a room humidifier, something in the harp case will work, but keep an eye on the humidity-if you keep it stable (between 40-50%) it will stay in tune better, and it won't warp or crack on you.
~~~~
Barry
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

I tried it on the sound hole...worked pretty well!

One nice thing about the Ravenna is it has threaded pins, so you don't have to worry quite so much about keeping them seated. It's actually got quite a few nice features (that drop-down leg is great!). And I can't quite get over the beautiful tone...given that I thought I'd only be able to afford a Harpsicle, to have an instrument with such a full, rich tone is a real treat!

I don't have a case for it yet...it will take a paycheck or two before I can do that. Fortunately, humidity stays pretty stable here. My main worry is about changing temperatures...it can get quite hot here in the summer, and we don't have air conditioning. I may take to keeping it in the guest bedroom during the summer when I'm not playing it...the temperature stays more stable in there because it's backed by a hill.

You should have seen me sweating bullets getting that pretty thing home! It's not heavy (about 14 pounds), and I quickly discovered that I could carry it easily by cradling the soundbox almost like a baby, but getting it into the car and finding a position that would protect it from falling or being bumped around took some doing! And the whole time I was carrying it up our steep, slippery driveway, I had visions of tripping and smashing my new baby to smithereens! Then there was the challenge of where to put it to keep it as safe as possible...we live in an A-frame, so no straight walls! I finally figured out that putting it next to the piano would protect it from being knocked over, though I'll be happy to have a case to give it a bit of extra protection. This is earthquake country (in fact, we had a small one yesterday), and any protection I can give it will be worth doing. Right now I've got a mandolin in a soft case wedged up against the base to give it a bit of added protection against tipping over in an earthquake.

Redwolf
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hey, congrats on your new baby, Redwolf! I imagine it was scary getting it home without the case, and they are bulky, even with the case to move.

Good, the soundhole placement worked for tuning; good to know. And, hey what will they think of next-threaded posts for the tuning pins! That's good news too-the others could be tricky in tuning-lots of slippage sometimes.

If your humidity stays stable INSIDE THE HOUSE, that's the most important thing. Especially if you run a heating system-that will deplete the humidity in a hurry. The heat isn't as critical, but extremes are best avoided anyway.

It sounds like you made a great choice, and especially if you are so pleased with the full, rich tone of this one. That's great! Let us know how you find adapting to it as you progress. Enjoy!
~~~~
Barry
Harpgal

Post by Harpgal »

Congrats on the harp stork arrival Redwolf!

If you haven't already do check out the harplist on Yahoo Groups.
Also, if you get up to Chico, check out the harp circle up there.

Harper Tasche puts on some great workshops and is a very nice person as well.

A friend of mine plays harp at our ceilis. It's always great to hear the harp there.

I have a Blevins 34-string Encore. I took lessons for awhile but got caught up in work, my kids' lives and have stopped for awhile. I hope to get back to it this year.

Harps are gaining in popularity. I went to a weekend workshop near Seattle a couple of years ago and it looked like a fores of harps.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

I haven't had much luck FINDING a viable harp list on Yahoo. The only one I've found so far that isn't about harmonicas hasn't had any activity on it in a while...and what activity it HAS had has been mostly people trolling for dates or spamming.

Does anyone know if there's an actual harp discussion forum out there (C&F style)? If not, would anyone here use one if I made one?

Redwolf
Underhill

Post by Underhill »

[
Does anyone know if there's an actual harp discussion forum out there (C&F style)? If not, would anyone here use one if I made one?

Redwolf[/quote]

Here is the link to the Yahoo group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Harplist/

Denise
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

I don't know about you all, but I'm finding the Yahoo lists very user-unfriendly. So far, the only messages I've been able to read have been spam...and there are so many hoops to jump through just to read the messages!

I did find one somewhat more straightforward message board here:

http://www.harpcolumn.com/bboard/index.tcl

But I'm honestly surprised no one's set up a standard, php-style message board yet for the harp...at least, not one that I can find.

Again...if I were to set one up, is that something people here would be interested in?

Redwolf
Jeferson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

Red, I'd be interested. That yahoo group thing is a pain, but keep in mind that a new forum would only be worthwhile if significant numbers of the list herd would take part.

Jef
Underhill

Post by Underhill »

Redwolf wrote:I don't know about you all, but I'm finding the Yahoo lists very user-unfriendly. So far, the only messages I've been able to read have been spam...and there are so many hoops to jump through just to read the messages!

I did find one somewhat more straightforward message board here:

http://www.harpcolumn.com/bboard/index.tcl

But I'm honestly surprised no one's set up a standard, php-style message board yet for the harp...at least, not one that I can find.

Again...if I were to set one up, is that something people here would be interested in?

Redwolf
Redwolf:

I am sorry that you did not find the Yahoo group to your liking (although I know this is not uncommon). The Harplist at Yahoo, for which I provided the link, has been around a long time-since 1990 I believe. It is currently at 1600-plus members and goin'strong! I have been a member for quite a few years now, and have looked at many other forums/discission boards for harp. None can compare for volume and helpfulness. The archives are admittidley a pain to search (as are all with Yahoo groups) but since there are constantly new members joining, the list as a whole is very tolerant of repeat questions.

Since I am fairly isolated from teachers and other harpers where I am, I have relied heavily on the resource of the Harplist. There have also been off-shoots over the years, and one can find Yahoo groups for wire-strung harps, SCA harp players, Healing Harps, a Harpmarket list for selling, pagan harp players, and many regional groups. I myself have recently started a Midwest Harpers Yahoo group.

If someone started another type of harp forum, I am sure I would frequent it, because I am that way. However, since the Yahoo list is considered to the "Daddy" of them all (harp groups-wise), you may have a little trouble getting a huge participation.

I am not sure where you ran into so much "Spam" when looking into the link I supplied. There is little-to-none there as far as I have seen.

Denise in WI