Reeds, Chanter Pitches and Supplys

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Paddy Finn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Reeds, Chanter Pitches and Supplys

Post by Paddy Finn »

Right, I'm a GHBer with not much music theory in my head so help me a bit.
I'm thinking of getting some other type of pipes ceilidh, small pipe, uilleann. So naturally I'm stumped on the question of chanter pitches and fingering relating there too. What is the fingering for the A, B, C, and D chanters; i.e gABCDEFGa. I'm guessing they're different than that (standard for GHB). If someone could give me the specs of all those chanters in the "gABCDEFGa" way i would be much obliged.

Also, the school i learn the pipes at has recently been charged in caring for a "Bagpipe Museum" with some $500,000 worth of bagpipes. I was tinkering round with the uilleann pipes and noticed that for the most part all the chanter reeds have gone bad, in other words can't play them at all. One the reeds have separated from each other leave a fine gap for air to pass through; might i fix this by slipping a dental elastic onto the base of the reed (i figure this will lower the sound quality of course) or is there any other trick?. And the other has one curved (the way it should be) lip, then the other lip is flat, making the mouth of the reed look like this: (| instead of (). I figure this reed is unsalvageable.... is there anyway to save these reeds??

Where abouts do i go to buy the supplies to make UP reeds, I'm not apt to buy an $80 reed anytime soon, that chances are wont act savvy with our chanters.

Thanks!
-Finn
....oh mother dear, i'm over here. And I never will come back, for what keeps me here's the reek o' beer, the ladies and the craic.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: Reeds, Chanter Pitches and Supplys

Post by PJ »

Paddy Finn wrote:Also, the school i learn the pipes at has recently been charged in caring for a "Bagpipe Museum" with some $500,000 worth of bagpipes. I was tinkering round with the uilleann pipes and noticed that for the most part all the chanter reeds have gone bad, in other words can't play them at all. One the reeds have separated from each other leave a fine gap for air to pass through; might i fix this by slipping a dental elastic onto the base of the reed (i figure this will lower the sound quality of course) or is there any other trick?. And the other has one curved (the way it should be) lip, then the other lip is flat, making the mouth of the reed look like this: (| instead of (). I figure this reed is unsalvageable.... is there anyway to save these reeds??
Do you know who made the uilleann pipes in your bagpipe museum? I suggest that you not tinker with the reeds, at least until you know a little more about the uilleann pipes you have. The reeds, even in their current state, could be of interest to professional pipemakers. If you have a rare set of uilleann pipes with the original reeds, it might be worth inviting a pipemaker to inspect and measure the set. In exchange, you could ask them to reed it for you.
PJ
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Don't, I repeat, do not muck with the reeds. They are every bit as valuable as the pipes themselves... damaging them, or adding to the effects of time and neglect will ruin them further and make possible future study useless.

If you do not play the UPs, making reeds for them will not help. I strongly urge that you leave handling and maintenance of those pipes to a qualified and experienced pipe maker. I am surprised you are allowed to handle them at all.

I don't mean to sound mean, but messing around with historical artfacts, when one knows little or nothing about them, is a small fraction shy of vandalism.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Why not give the London Uilleann Pipers Club a call?

I'm sure someone there would be interested in checking out the set and giving you a hand making reeds for it. They also have links for pipemakers and reedmakers you could contact.
PJ
Joseph E. Smith

PJ wrote:Why not give the London Uilleann Pipers Club a call?

I'm sure someone there would be interested in checking out the set and giving you a hand making reeds for it. They also have links for pipemakers and reedmakers you could contact.
Brilliant idea. And while you are there, perhaps someone will allow you to 'strap in' and give their set a spin. Once you start on these things, you'll never go back to GHBs. :D
billh

Post by billh »

!!!

If you're really talking about a significant museum collection here, you really should be cautions even about what PIPE MAKERS you let near them! Lots of irreparable damage has been done by well-meaning people over years, I cannot stress that point enough.

Uilleann pipes are a whole 'nother world from highland pipes, if you hadn't concluded that already...

Bill
Paddy Finn

Post by Paddy Finn »

The two pipes i that i was "touching" were not of significance age 1980's (?? OLDEST). One was a practice set, with a chanter that look semi-decently made. The other was a half set, Brazilian rosewood drones, set up for a left handed, mid-quality bellow, the chanter was missing the mechanical key in the back. i haven't 'mucked' with the reeds, only speculated on how to fix them. Most of the bagpipes are in boxes in climate controlled rooms. The oldest set (that i know of) i have all ready inquired about on this forum about a year or so ago, before i moved. They were Taylor-que (i think that's how its spelt) full set, 1850 (1890?). Ivory and silver mnts, African black wood. The bass resonator has been cracked down the centre (ivory). i haven't touched it. its not a Taylor but in similar design. We have debated the repair of the resonator, we have a dentist (yes a dentist) friend that has offered his serveses, and knows what to do, but we declined in fear of damaging the value.
When i said tinker it was: try to play them once, noticed they didn't work at all. took the chanter out, looked at the reed and noticed the reed was crap. put them away and did other stuff. Please i may be a GHB player and our instrument may lack certain musical quality, but our intelligence should not be compared to the sound.
I live in Windham NH, New England. so it would be a small trip to get to the London uilleann pipers club. i haven't been on this forum for a good while so nothings been updated.
If anyone would be so kind as to answer my question about the chanters, and where to get materials for UP reeds, (i dont fully intead to make reeds for these sets, i'd like not having to spend $80 on a single chanter reed if i own my own set of UP)
....oh mother dear, i'm over here. And I never will come back, for what keeps me here's the reek o' beer, the ladies and the craic.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

[quote="Paddy Finn"]
I live in Windham NH, New England. so it would be a small trip to get to the London uilleann pipers club. /quote]

I think there were two good clues as to him not living in Ingerland..his usage of $ in his posts as opposed to the current currency being used i.e.£ and also the almost unbelievable info. that a school in Essex England would have a museum of 1) Valuable instruments and 2)let the kids tinker with them.. They would more like have nicked em and pawned em immediately afore setting fire to the school during the holidays!! :wink:
In answer to your question go to this link
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/2916/chart.html
Ye will find the fingering for all pitches the same more or less.
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Joseph E. Smith

Paddy Finn wrote: i haven't 'mucked' with the reeds, only speculated on how to fix them.
Again, if you do not play the instrument, or know anything about making reeds for it (... and you have to be able to play the UPs in order to truly understand how to make them and get the reed to do what it needs to do), I wouldn't attempt reeding these (... or any) chanters yet.

By all means, read up on it, go to tionols, talk to Uilleann pipers in your area who make reeds and seek advise here (as you have). But, it's far better and easier to understand how to make these little squeakers if you can actually see how it is done, so availing yourself of the NPU reed making DVD (featuring four of the very best reed makers) would be a good idea.

Also, getting in touch with this reed guru http://www.reedshaman.co.uk/ Alan Burton is a very good thing. Alan is another one of the very best at this reed destruction thing.

BTW, just handling an old reed can cause damage to it... especially if it is dropped. It is probably best to leaves these instruments be for now, and consider learning how to play the Uilleann Pipes before attempting to service them.
Last edited by Joseph E. Smith on Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Reed making supplies, instructions and trouble shooting tips
http://uilleann.com/reeds.html
(specific to his style of reed but good information)
PJ

Post by PJ »

Hi Paddy,

I saw Chelmsford as your location and presumed you were in England. Sorry for the error.
PJ
Paddy Finn

Post by Paddy Finn »

thanks, i didnt intend to 'wing' it when it came to making reeds, i would have read up a good deal befor attemting too much, thats kinda what i'm doing right now. I'm just looking round, not gonna jump off the reed making cliff....yet. Thanks for the help; and fret not, i'm not going to "muck" up anything fra here up. I got my warnings clear :wink:

Well i think right now i'm going t change my location that just got to many people mixed up.