Sweet upper register

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kerry
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sweet upper register

Post by Kerry »

Hello,

Like many whistlers, I am still looking for a whistle that has all the qualities I want and more (although I know that this may not be possible as there are always trade offs).

Right now the quality that tops the list is a sweet sounding upper register - as opposed to the shrill sound of the high A and B with ear piercing volume. I have a preference for the more inexpensive whisltes (the Clarke origional and Dixon being my two favorites). The two options that I am currently considering are the Tweaked Version of the Clarke origional (from the Whistle Shop) and the Hoover whitecap that I will put on an old Generation tube. I think I favor the Tweaked Clarke version since I like the tone of Clarkes.

I was hoping to get some feedback on this, particulary from those with experience with the tweaked Clarkes, or those who have successfully tweaked there own. Also, a comparison of the volume between these two whistles would be greatly appreciated!

Kerry
straycat82
antispam: No

Post by straycat82 »

I have never played on a Hoover Whitecap but I am definitely a Clarke man. Until I got my Burke I Played nothing but Clarkes. Have you considered the Meg? It takes less breath to play than the Clarke original but still has that breathiness sound that we love from the Clarkes. It's a very inexpensive whistle so you might just give it a try. I think the upper register sounds very nice on the Megs. I've never had to tweak any of the Megs I've owned. I've had about three of them and all of them were surprisingly in tune and needed no work.
Hope this helps.
scheky

Post by scheky »

Sadly, one of the properties of a high whistle (assuming D) is that the B and A are usually ear-piercing. This is regardless of purity of tone. My Copeland is pure, but certainly painful if I hold the note any length of time.

Perhaps you should be looking at the quieter whistles. You still get the same sound, but at a much lower volume (making it much more bearable).
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

I also prefer the tone of the Clarke original but my fovorite whistle of all time is my Shaw tweeked by Jerry. There is not a shrill note on it that I can find. The upper octive, though powerful, is not piercing or painfull in any way. It is a very fine whistle and, as it is all I want from a whistle, I no longer search for a higher end instrument and am able to put my money into my search for the perfect flute :D

Take care

Tom
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Out of the dozens of high D whistles that have passed through this house, I only have one whistle that my wife can tolerate the upper reaches for any length of time. That is our Weston wooden whistle.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
regor

Post by regor »

You may want to consider O'Briens...
Kerry

Post by Kerry »

The O'Briens do look and sound nice from what I have seen online, but how do they compare in terms of volume? Not that I looking for the quietest whistle in the world, but the volume of the Clarke is about as loud as I want to go.
scheky

Post by scheky »

OBrien has a quiet head (with a lot of back-pressure) that is nice and soft. I use it to practice when my wife and son are sleeping. It's likely a bit softer than your Clarke.

I'd certainly recommend his whistles (as I have). I still consider them the best mid-range alternative out there.
greg

high register

Post by greg »

have you considered the hoover narrow bore d its the only whistle ive tried that i really like the upper register
Kerry

Post by Kerry »

I have considered the Hoover narrow bore, but I seem to remember that the 0XX000 Cnat doesn't work so well (I may be wrong on this though). Who knows, I may eventually get a Hoover. I am also interested in the O'brien that was suggested.

Right now I have decided to go with a Tweaked Clark Origional from the Whistle Shop (just ordered it a few minutes ago). Since I know I that I enjoy Clarkes, I think this may be what I have been looking for.

However, I am still interested in feedback on this thread if anyone else has suggestions or comments. Once I receive my new whistle I hope to post a new topic with a brief review on - suprisingly there really isn't much in the achrives on this.
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Rose whistles, while more expensive than the ones you mention, have a VERY sweet upper octave.

Humphrey whistles are also pretty good in the upper octave, and don't suffer on the low notes because of it (a weak lower octave, especially low d, is usually the tradeoff for a nice high A/B).

-brett
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

You may want to try adding a piece of blue tack near the edge of the blade at the bottom of the window opening. Kind of tongue shaped, and flatter near the window. Make little changes like how close or far from the edge you place it, and how thick you make it. I usually mash it down close to the edge, so it gets thicker as it goes away from the window, like a wedge shape in profile. Also, it seems to work best if you don't make it as wide as the window, leaving a little space on either side.

It will tame the upper end, and also give a little more back pressure. It may affect the strength of the low end depending where you place it, but overall it makes a whistle more even throughout the two octaves in volume.

That's the beauty of blue tack-you can tweak at will, and if you don't like it, no harm done!
~~~~
Barry
Jetboy

Post by Jetboy »

IDAwHOa wrote:Out of the dozens of high D whistles that have passed through this house, I only have one whistle that my wife can tolerate the upper reaches for any length of time. That is our Weston wooden whistle.
IDAwHOa, you can have my babies!

Problems with the website at the moment, if anyone needs info on the whistles urgently whilst I sort out the glitch, PM me on this forum
www.westonwhistles.co.uk

I am in a World of my own. But I am happy here, everyone knows me!
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Bretton wrote:Rose whistles, while more expensive than the ones you mention, have a VERY sweet upper octave.
Hi Brett, how loud are Rose whistles compared to the Burke?

?
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Kerry wrote:The O'Briens do look and sound nice from what I have seen online, but how do they compare in terms of volume?
If you are looking for smoothness in the top end and not a lot of volume, the O'Brien is a good pick.

Here's a quick clip I just made of the top octave of my O'Brien with a copper fipple plug:
http://members.cox.net/tofutaco/Whistle ... Octave.mp3
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.