?? For you other low whistlers out there ??

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
straycat82
antispam: No

?? For you other low whistlers out there ??

Post by straycat82 »

What does everyone else use to transport your Low whistles to sessions and such? I have a hard plastic case that came with my Chieftain that I use but I am wanting to make or buy something that is a little more presentable. I'm wondering if it would be a bad idea to have a soft case vs. a hard case. Anyone have experience with this? I'm also thinking of just making a soft zip-up case to go around the plastic case I've got.
Opinions?
Suggestions?
Black Mage
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Black Mage »

If you're looking for a really nice soft case, I'd think about Sassafrass Grove. Those cases look great! Yuo can also get custom made cases, too.
"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: ?? For you other low whistlers out there ??

Post by Mitch »

straycat82 wrote:What does everyone else use to transport your Low whistles to sessions and such? I have a hard plastic case that came with my Chieftain that I use but I am wanting to make or buy something that is a little more presentable. I'm wondering if it would be a bad idea to have a soft case vs. a hard case. Anyone have experience with this? I'm also thinking of just making a soft zip-up case to go around the plastic case I've got.
Opinions?
Suggestions?
For low D's I find the archer's quiver cuts the most dashing vogue. Mind you, in combination with shoulder slung flute - now that's a look to get arrested for!
:)
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

After years and years and years and years of searching, Annie - at Sassafrass Grove - was the final answer to all my whistle protecting and transporting questions. Her products are clever, beautiful, and well-made.

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

When I had just one low D, I would just roll it up pig-in-a-blanket style into the middle of the roll case NancyF made for me a while back.

Now that I've got two I carry around, I put them in a big TuffBags case, because it's the only case I have that carries two low whistles. I'm not terribly impressed with the quality of stitching on the TuffBags case.
Last edited by Wanderer on Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Mine have a pouch for each, and I carry them in a folding lawn chair bag.
The sholder strap allows me to carry other things in my hand, coffee cup.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Black Mage wrote:If you're looking for a really nice soft case, I'd think about Sassafrass Grove. Those cases look great! Yuo can also get custom made cases, too.
What I'm really looking for is a cheaper solution. If I had an extra $120 lying around I'd buy another whistle, not a case :)
Does anyone have anything negative to say about keeping a whistle in a soft case (or a hard case for that matter).
Thanks for the replies.
OBrien

Post by OBrien »

I made what I like to call my "over the shoulder Overton holder" from a scrap of brown leather-like upholstery vinyl I got at the fabric shop. I sewed it into a long narrow bag with a quiver-style shoulder strap. At the top I folded it over and sewed on a clasp from an old bike helmet.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

This works for me. This is the Low C version. Colin also has a Low D version available on his site. Unforutnately, the bass A ( and my soon to arrive Bass Bb ) do not fit, but the cases Colin sends with them are quite durable. They are also available on his site.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I got a leatherette sleeve when I bought my Chieftain OS on ebay, and I use that thingie for now...my D whistle gets tubed by the lowD and everything goes into the sleeve. Quite handy.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I don't know for a fact that it will work, but I'm thinking that a pool cue carrying case might be excellent.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
greg

cases

Post by greg »

pool cue cases work great i picked up a short tubular one for a high d and a rectangular one that i can keep both my low whistles in, the small one was 16$ and the big one was 24$ they both look great
benbrad

Pool Cue Case

Post by benbrad »

I have two pool cue cases and they each will hold two low c or low d whistles with ease and they are very well padded and have shoulder straps and cary handles. I bought one from someone on this forum and the other at Walmart.
Ben
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I'll have to look into those pool stick cases, thanks for the suggestions.
markbell

Post by markbell »

...pantleg from an old pair of bluejeans, sewn shut across the bottom, two rows of stitches dividing for three whistles, and a turned-over hem with a leather shoelace to close the top.

Very chic! Very, ultra-low-tech...

Mark
sibilo ergo sum