HAMs

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

HAMs

Post by Tyler »

Anyone here a HAM?
I'm taking my technicians license exam this month and I was wondering if there were any chiffers into it as well.
As in radio, not honey baked pig! :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

as we've talked before, I'm the daughter of a ham. I know many dulcimer players that are, too.

Good luck on your test!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Just the other day I was wondering whether the internet had killed off much of the interest in HAMs.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Alan
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

I procrastinated a long while before getting my ham ticket in 1979.

Unfortunately I have not been active lately due to antenna limitations at my present residence.

Good luck with the exam!
Alan
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

When I was in high school in the late 50's, I passed the Novice test and became a ham radio operator in my bedroom, which I shared with two other brothers. I built a Heathkit DX-20 transmitter, and I started out at 50 watts CW (code). I only had a few crystals that controlled my frequency, so I didn't move around much on the 80 meter band. My home spot was 3710 hertz. With a long wire dipole antenna, I was able to get out pretty good to a two or three state radius. In my junior year of high school I passed the general class ham test, but because of my living situation, I still operated only code at the same frequency. My call letters were K9TAE. When I attended college, I became interested in other things, and I never went back to wanting to continue as a amateur radio operator. I do have some good memories though. We had a civil defense tower in my little town in Indiana. We were seriously looking for Russian military aircraft, but I never did see one. We had little transceivers called Gooney Boxes, which operated on 8 meters. They didn't get out very far, but they were a lot of fun.
brianc

Post by brianc »

My neighbor is a big-time HAMmer.

After our baby was born, it was pretty freaky hearing his radio calls and conversations on the baby monitor. (we hadn't realized anyone nearby us was into the HAM radios, until that day). For weeks after that first time we heard the call letters going out, we'd still jump out of our chairs upon hearing, "whiskey seven lima zero, C Q , C Q, CQ....OVER."

:lol:

Good luck with your test. Just remember anyone near to you that has a baby may well be listening. :wink:
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

My father enjoyed talking on his citizen band radio for many years. He had a large beam antenna and a ground wave atop a high tower, so when the skip was right, he could talk all over the country and sometimes internationally. He had a very nice ham Kenwood transceiver that he was using for citizen band (off-band usually) with much more than the usual citizen band power. I think that my father's biggest complaint was that it was difficult to find someone interesting to talk to. My dad wanted to talk about things that he had been reading in his science magazines, and most people were not able or didn't want to talk about things that interested him. That is one of the things that I appreciate about the internet; you are able to be selective. If you want to discuss flutes, you can go to the flute forum. On amateur radio if you put out a general CQ (I want to talk), you are opening yourself to anyone who happens to be able to hear you. They might want to talk about baseball. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't want to hear it.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

s1m0n wrote:Just the other day I was wondering whether the internet had killed off much of the interest in HAMs.
I dunno, I know guys who got their liscense just to play with Packet
Radio (precursor to 802.11 Wireless internet). My college, NCSU,
still has a HAM club in the Elec. Engineering building.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I'm not a HAM myself, but I have a great appreciation for them. In our emergency preparedness training, HAM operators are a very important element for communications when things like phone lines, internet, wireless lines, etc go down. There are a couple of volunteer orgs of HAM operators that are for helping out in such emergencies. We're supposed to be getting the equipment installed at work so we have HAM communications when all else fails (just bring in an operator). I hope we never have to use them, but it's nice to know the HAMs are out there!
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I got my novice license back in '82 or so, but never did get around to getting a radio setup. About the only result was that I programmed my computer to convert text into Morse code.

I decided that I just wasn't that interested in talking to a bunch of strangers--and here I am on C&F, conversing with some of the strangest strangers on Earth!
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Oh Nooooo!! I can just see this thread deteriorating into dahdahdah dahdahdah ditdahdahdit ditditdit - dah dahdahdah dahdahdah
ditdahditdit ditdah dah dit !!!
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Re: HAMs

Post by Tony »

Tyler Morris wrote:Anyone here a HAM?
I'm taking my technicians license exam this month and I was wondering if there were any chiffers into it as well.
As in radio, not honey baked pig! :P
Yeah. Years ago.
I used to fly radio controlled model helicopters and many times when flying at a public (club) site the normal general (no license) frequencies were tied up, so a few friends and I decided to get a technician class license to operate private frequencies on 6 meters. I'm also coordinated (assigned my own frequency pair) to operate a UHF repeater in my area. It has an auto (phone) patch and was my 'personal cell phone' for 3 or 4 years before I finally decided getting a cellular.

Internet seemed to kill off a good portion of ham activity... possibly just re-directing it to other technologies. There is talk they may relax the restrictions and allow tech's and tech+ to operate frequencies used only by general class just to keep the activity and not lose those band assignments.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

rebl_rn wrote:I'm not a HAM myself, but I have a great appreciation for them. In our emergency preparedness training, HAM operators are a very important element for communications when things like phone lines, internet, wireless lines, etc go down. There are a couple of volunteer orgs of HAM operators that are for helping out in such emergencies. We're supposed to be getting the equipment installed at work so we have HAM communications when all else fails (just bring in an operator). I hope we never have to use them, but it's nice to know the HAMs are out there!
True 'nuff. In our Provincial Emergency Plan (see my avatar) we know that the phone and cell nets go down simply from overuse in emergencies. HAMs have the discipline and skill to work comms when things get hairy. Ex-military HAMs are especially nice to have in search operations, because many of them can fix their own gear in the field and they tend to have an intuition for operational priorities.

We had one planner who was convinced that HAMs could be replaced with Iridium sat phones, but recent disasters have proven that the sat network can be overloaded, too.

Best of luck on the test!
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I have the radio (yasu 101) and the book but no licence. I used it to shoot skip back in the CB radio days. CQ CQ DX 28W1629 standing by. :lol:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

brianc wrote:My neighbor is a big-time HAMmer.

After our baby was born, it was pretty freaky hearing his radio calls and conversations on the baby monitor. (we hadn't realized anyone nearby us was into the HAM radios, until that day). For weeks after that first time we heard the call letters going out, we'd still jump out of our chairs upon hearing, "whiskey seven lima zero, C Q , C Q, CQ....OVER."

:lol:

Good luck with your test. Just remember anyone near to you that has a baby may well be listening. :wink:
That's odd! From what I've been studying, most baby monitors opperate in the low AM bands or, more modernly, above 900mHz (the one we bought is a 1gHz model).

If there were more interest in amateur radio here, we could meet somewhere on the 2m band and have ourselves an unnofficial C&F frequency! :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown